SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Futility of Shopping for 'Made in America'
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Futility of Shopping for 'Made in America' Login/Join 
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
It's a losing battle I'm beginning to think. Last year I bought a compressor at Lowes. There is a tag on the bottom that says "assembled in the USA with global components."

So, yeah, there are people here with a job to do, and that is good, but...

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Why not borrow or rent one?

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Chinese mfg has progressed. It no longer means cheap crap. Same as Japan in the 60's. Milwaukie use to wind all of their own motors in the US, which made them top performers. No more. Best to all:

Nothing personal but I completely disagree. I have not seen any sign that this is true. And comparing China with Japan is insulting. China is not even in the same league as Korea yet. And this is disregarding the cultural differences.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I buy quality, first and foremost, where it may be physically made come second.

I don't think crappy products that are US made should be rewarded with our wallet anymore than a quality product that's made elsewhere should be stigmatized. In fact, doing so would further contribute to the downfall of American mfging through negative reinforcement.

The work that goes behind creating a product is much more than where it's physically made. How about the team of people that came up with the design or the investors that help fund a project.

Innovation and creativity in design is where Americans shine and that should be equally embraced. A great architect doesn't need to lay their own bricks nor does the conductor of an orchestra need to play every instrument themselves.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
China will take a good design and make it cheaply using substandard materials and processes and QA. And pocket the additional profits. They have NO interest in making a good product. They only care about making a buck. And the buck is funding CCP and its military.

So, perhaps some people don't care about physical location of manufacture. But perhaps they should.

In regards to IP, Americans are innovative and China reaps the rewards time and again. They have no regard for IP rights. They will copy and pirate anything they can to make a buck.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Chinese mfg has progressed. It no longer means cheap crap. Same as Japan in the 60's. Milwaukie use to wind all of their own motors in the US, which made them top performers. No more. Best to all:

Nothing personal but I completely disagree. I have not seen any sign that this is true. And comparing China with Japan is insulting. China is not even in the same league as Korea yet. And this is disregarding the cultural differences.

Besides, that ain’t the point, at least for me. The point is cutting off money going to the Chicoms.

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
the adobe blocks are 8" thick and I need to drill two 1/2" holes for some antenna coax - putting an HF/VHF radio in my office and two new antennas on the roof

That sounds like too much for a hammer drill. Unless you anticipate future drilling in such materials I suggest you look into renting a rotary hammer.

In my case I had so many holes to drill that, with the time it would take, it was no more expensive for me to buy a rotary hammer than to rent one.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
The automotive chip shortage debacle should alert everyone why we need manufacturing right here.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
This web site has been of help in the past... Still Made in the USA
http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/

Here's the tools category:
https://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Bowers Tool Company, located in TX, sells USA made tools, plus two German tool companies: Knipex and Felo. COO is noted for each tool. Bowers is also a good place to get the entire line of Norseman drill bits, perhaps the best drill bit made, and made in USA. Free shipping on orders over $49.

I also agree 100% about using a rotary hammer vs. a hammer drill. I have a Bosch, 11255VSR, same model mentioned by ensigmatic. I bought it 10 years ago, and at that time it was still made in Germany. Germany, Switzerland, and Japan are excellent alternatives to USA made tools, in many cases surpassing the USA made quality.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
"Besides, that ain’t the point, at least for me. The point is cutting off money going to the Chicoms."

^^This plus they steal the intellectual property to make many of their products, lie about the materials they are made of and all sorts of other bad stuff.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Last I checked...
Milwaukee still has a large presence in the US including design / engineering and five manufacturing plants. Those making some corded power tools, some hand tools and accessories.
Sadly, all their battery powered tools are made overseas. Hong Kong, Taiwan and at least three other countries were listed.

Consider drilling one larger hole and putting in a sleeve. I'm thinking rent a rotary drill and bit. Then you can remove or add cables for future changes and pull a cable without removing the end.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This weekend I was over at a buddy's house giving him a hand installing his kitchen. My Bosch drill battery ran out and he handed my his Festool drill. OMG!! While my Bosch is German designed but made in Malasia it's served me quite well for 10+ years, this Festool was FANTASTIC! German designed and made but, smooth, engaged clutch, great ergonomics; I understand they have a Made in USA line now.

Birthday is coming up and I have a wish list.... Cool

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a power tool, but I too am seeking an American made tool that I'm having a devil of a time finding. I want a set of long reach hose gripping pliers.

From what I have been able to determine looking at packaging and/or manufacturers websites:

Snap-On is selling Gearwrench units (with the Gearwrench logo visible in the pic on the website) at around $70/pr when I can get a set of 3 from HD for under $20/pr. Made in China

Snap-Ons lower line Blue Point, also made in China.

Matco made in China.

MAC made in China

Cornwell Tools made in China.

When the "top shelf" US hand tool brands are outsourcing to that degree, it is pretty frustrating to tool shop.

Bowers Tool mentioned above has Pro-America brand units made in the US for about $35/pr. They have been out of the set of three for a bit, but I'm planning on ordering it when it is back in stock.

Shouldn't need to be this hard.......

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
Not a power tool, but I too am seeking an American made tool that I'm having a devil of a time finding. I want a set of long reach hose gripping pliers.

From what I have been able to determine looking at packaging and/or manufacturers websites:

Snap-On is selling Gearwrench units (with the Gearwrench logo visible in the pic on the website) at around $70/pr when I can get a set of 3 from HD for under $20/pr. Made in China

Matco made in China.

MAC made in China

When the "top shelf" US hand tool brands are outsourcing to that degree, it is pretty frustrating to tool shop.

Bowers Tool mentioned above has Pro-America brand units made in the US for about $35/pr. They have been out of the set of three for a bit, but I'm planning on ordering it when it is back in stock.

Why not buy a Snap-On tool from either the truck or their website?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Matco made in China.

MAC made in China

Because the Snap-On tool is nothing more than a Chinese Gearwrench tool at a large markup. Example: https://shop.snapon.com/produc...s---5-16%22/KDT82017

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Matco made in China.

MAC made in China

Because the Snap-On tool is nothing more than a Chinese Gearwrench tool at a large markup. Example: https://shop.snapon.com/produc...s---5-16%22/KDT82017

Huh, I thought everything with the snap on logo was is USA made.

But on the other side of the coin, you'll only need to pay for it once with a lifetime warranty.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Huh, I thought everything with the snap on logo was is USA made.

But on the other side of the coin, you'll only need to pay for it once with a lifetime warranty.

It was pretty much that way for years, and anything that wasn't was Blue Point. These days when Ace Hardware and Sams Club have Snap On branded items, who knows......sad really.