SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Accounting Software between QuickBooks & NAV/SAP?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accounting Software between QuickBooks & NAV/SAP? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
My brother runs his own business & has been using QB Online for a long time. They've had a few glitches with it & lost some data.

Curious if anyone can recommend a good accounting software/package that's more robust than QB, but not as advanced/costly as something like DynamicsNAV or SAP

We use NAV at my job & it works great, but the cost & complexity is probably above what they need for the forseeable future.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sage 50 is far superior to any Quickbooks version. Both QB online & Sage 50 online accounting systems are prone to glitches for some of my clients.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they lost about 3 hours worth of work [twice] just by trying to print off a report on QB Online.

They're looking to move to a more robust platform that can handle the company growth & not be prone to data loss.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Local vs. online QB might be something to consider, if the lost data was due to cloud issues.

This is of course assuming your brother has good backup policies and systems.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
QB Online was because they're HQ in CO & the bookkeeper is between CO & NV a lot. Not being tied to 1 machine would be a priority, but maybe not a need is accessible with an OnPrem system.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

QB Online was because they're HQ in CO & the bookkeeper is between CO & NV a lot. Not being tied to 1 machine would be a priority, but maybe not a need is accessible with an OnPrem system.
I use QuickBooks for my small business. Desktop version, not online. I have the program installed at a couple locations, the data file is in a dropbox folder, so it automatically stays synced between the locations. Never had a problem with this arrangement.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That's not a bad idea. Does the data file auto-sync with Dropbox, or do you have to manually export & back up?

Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
For a small business with multiple locations I would consider QuickBooks Desktop and using Qbox by CoralTree for file sharing. Qbox also works in multi-user mode.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I’m still using Quickbooks Pro 2018 because they don’t offer any that are not online and subscription anymore.
I’d also like to find other options.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
In systems, like a lot of other things, you get what you pay for.

And, QB, IMO, is weak in its ability to control an unschooled bookkeeper. In the end you will pay the CPA to unscrew the unschooled bookkeepers simplistic view of double entry accounting and using proper cutoffs. What "makes sense" to the "lay person" runs afoul of proper accounting. Just MYO as a CPA.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

That's not a bad idea. Does the data file auto-sync with Dropbox, or do you have to manually export & back up?
It's automatic. No special user action required. Completely transparent.

Another feature is, you can go back to a previous version of the file if you need to.

I take a "belt and suspenders" approach. In addition to the data file on the local computer and the sync version in the dropbox cloud, I also make a backup to a USB flash drive whenever I make a significant entry to QuickBooks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have used Moneydance for a couple of decades for personal finance and my consulting business. Always been very solid. Syncs via Dropbox or Apple iCloud, or network shared disk. Runs on macOS, iOS, Android, Windows, Linux. Written mostly in Java, and there is a Python integration for developer and user extensions. Cost is $50 with a 90-day trial period (no questions asked refund if not satisfied), and the license is valid for multiple systems in a household (or per computer for a business). Integrates with most banks and brokerages that support online downloads (QFX transactions and file-based imports), imports and exports QFX and CSV files. Very responsive website/e-mail based online support (queries usually responded to within minutes).

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
In systems, like a lot of other things, you get what you pay for.

And, QB, IMO, is weak in its ability to control an unschooled bookkeeper. In the end you will pay the CPA to unscrew the unschooled bookkeepers simplistic view of double entry accounting and using proper cutoffs. What "makes sense" to the "lay person" runs afoul of proper accounting. Just MYO as a CPA.

I don't disagree with this statement. QB is a more than capable program for running small business. We've been using it for years. But, we stopped updating it in 2009. That edition is the desktop variant. We tried the cloud and didn't like it. Perhaps it was change, we're getting old and less and less likely to accept it; change I mean, the old part - well, I can't change. Frown

However, I would recommend a first timer get assistance with the setup of chart of accounts and basic use from a bookkeeper. It would absolutely be worth the couple hundred bucks. Cause like Sailor said, it'll have to be done come tax time and CPA's get more than a bookkeeper...

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, a few things to look into.
The issue isn't the user/data entry, it's loss of confidence in the system, whether due to cloud issues or poor connectivity leading to data loss.

Will pass along some of the suggestions & recommendations.

Thanks again

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Anyone know a cheaper alternative to Quickbooks Online with similar capabilities?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
FYI, Intuit who owns QB also owns Turbo Tax, so if you use TT Business, the integration from the accounting package direct to TT in order to import the items without having to manually enter data in TT is blocked by Intuit.

You have to have a later version than 2017.

Same issue here they want me to go to the online program, you can buy a desktop but it comes with a $500+ a year fee,

Basically QB wants everyone on a subscription fee basis, the revenue is higher, since it eliminates the users that refuse to pay the high upgrade costs annually.

I'd rather pay a few hundred a year for a new desktop version the $500 fee is extortion.

Love to find a substitute program that works with TT business.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post