SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DIY Well Water filter?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Well Water filter? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
As many of you know I have a new house, new water from a well. It tested fine so no big issues. But it does seem to leave sediment in the toilets. There is some yellow staining. The water usually tastes okay, although sometimes I get an off smell. Not often, but once in a while.

Anyhow we really just want some filter that won't lower flow, is less than $500, can be installed by me. I'm thinking something that removes iron and sediment.

Any suggestions?

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12403 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ok... We are on a well and have an extensive filtration system. Iron removal, water softener with activated charcoal filtration, and hydrogen peroxide injection for bacteria control. This is necessary for us because of where we live in central Florida. Pure aquifer water here is iron heavy, pretty hard, and has a tendency in hotter weather to grow bacteria that create hydrogen sulfide gas (the rotten egg smell). The bacteria aren't dangerous, but the smell isn't great. The filtration system we have is designed to deal with all of the issues in our water.

I would pay to have my water tested, and the spec a filtration system from local needs. If wells are common in your area, there will be well filtration components suitable to local conditions available at Lowe's or Home Depot, and there will be specialized well supply stores with commercial grade stuff.

The key here is to design and install a system that works for the local water quality produced by your well, not to guess on what is a passable system to use.

Our water, once filtered is essentially the same as Zephyr Hills bottled water, and is fantastic right out of the 'fridge dispenser. You are going to be there for a while. Get yourself a system that makes your water enjoyable rather than simply usable.

Good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12741 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I have a well.
I have 2 cartridge filters in place, one where the well pumps into the pressure tank and one after the pressure tank.
Before the tanks is a string core filter.
After the pressure tank I have a 2 micron filter.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We have something like this: 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filtration System – Model AP11T. It's in line before the water conditioner. We use 20 micron filter cartridges.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the single filter with two: A 20 micron followed by a 5 micron.

Though, to be honest, the water seems fine with just the current filtration.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25991 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS: (the rotten egg smell). The bacteria aren't dangerous, but the smell isn't great.

A magnesium anode rod will get rid of those bacteria...and the smell.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Have the water tested. Once you know what's in it, you can pull those pieces out. If you don't have it tested you are just guessing.

You will most likely get less sediment over time.

Posts: 5727 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Have the water tested. Once you know what's in it, you can pull those pieces out. If you don't have it tested you are just guessing.

You will most likely get less sediment over time.

It was tested. I have the results. Everything passed but some tests don’t have a limit so I need to look up what’s normal.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12403 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS: (the rotten egg smell). The bacteria aren't dangerous, but the smell isn't great.

Thanks. That's also what the hydrogen peroxide injection is doing for me. It's a broad spectrum sterilizer, similar to a chlorine injection, but less objectionable.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12741 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Thanks. That's also what the hydrogen peroxide injection is doing for me. It's a broad spectrum sterilizer, similar to a chlorine injection, but less objectionable.
I went through it with the electric unit I put in my shop (tankless in the house so no issue). I tried several things (cranking the temp, chlorine flush, etc...) and nothing worked. The Mg++ rod solved it immediately.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. It can be persistent if it gets going inside the pipes. If we have trouble I will look into that. Thank you.

The Bishop Of Death
posted Hide Post
We have a two filter system on our well. Both are after the holding tank. The first is this one:

https://www.twistiiclean.com/

which comes in a couple of sizes and you can get different sized screens for it. It takes a lot of the big stuff out before the second filter. The screen doesn't get replaced, it uses backpressure as a cleaning cycle.

The second is just a box store water filter that we put a string type filter in.

Under Construction

Posts: 361 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post