SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    gunbroker advice ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

gunbroker advice ? Login/Join 
posted
thinking about creating an account and bidding on a firearm there.

any advice?

i assume once I create the account I place a bid and watch the period of the auction... highest bidder at the end gets the prize.

any tips / things to watch out for ? I have read elsewhere to watch for potentially extreme activity at the very end.

the vendor in question is a large broker with tons of positive feedback btw

-----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Gunbroker uses the 15 minute rule. Any bid near the close of the auction resets ghe clock to prevent sniping.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I have had good experiences, there.
Use the search function to look at completed auctions so you know the going price.
Set your highest price, bid that using Autobid, and forget about it.
Do not get invested in "winning" and involve yourself in a bidding war.

Easy Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Gunbroker uses the 15 minute rule. Any bid near the close of the auction resets ghe clock to prevent sniping.

Well, this doesn’t really prevent sniping, it prevents ultra-last second sniping, such as on eBay.

You still need to monitor an auction that you want to win to the very end, lest someone bid in the final minutes and wait out the 15 min clock without a counter.

Edit: I’ve been on auction sites for almost 20 years, I would counsel you to avoid bidding until the very last moment. If you set your max bid early, all that does is allow others to get into a “bidding” war with you (well, technically, your proxy which is the auto bid) and get the dopamine hit of “just a few more dollars and I can be the high bidder!).

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Make sure you're clear on the final charges before bidding. Some GunBroker sellers like to include hefty shipping charges and/or credit card fees.

Make sure you look closely at the photos and description, especially on used firearms. Sometimes, either intentionally or just through a mistake or ignorance, items will not be as described.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

wow i did not realize that

so basically the end of the auction can be drawn out for a protracted period beyond the stated end time if two bidders are sitting on the auction at the very end competing against one another, correct?

-------------------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yes, it does that so you can't snipe at the last second.

It allows two interested bidders to run up the total if they are both willing to go for it.

Because it's in the sellers and GB's best interest to have high sales prices.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bid what you're willing to pay and then let it ride.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Assume the seller is 'selling' and the condition is not as good as described.

Think up a reason to email the seller. I've asked are you the original owner or know the history on the item. Do you know the round count. Even better, ask for a short call. I've used this to rule out sellers with bad attitudes and probably avoided problems.

Decide the max you'll pay and don't go over that number. Otherwise you'll get into a bidding war and you'll pay too much.

Also, don't get excited when it looks like you'll get a good deal. I had a seller cancel a no reserve auction at the last second because he didn't get the price he wanted. Did some research and saw he'd done it multiple times with that same item.

Use the function that allows you to research closed auctions. You'll see what people are paying.

I've mostly had good experiences

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the gun in question is an out of production model

would be a very nice addition

i am kinda excited to give this a try

---------------------------------------------

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Make sure you know what time it is. Big Grin

I missed a great deal on a shotgun I planned on buying last week because it ended two hours sooner than I thought.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Good advise here. I think the best advice is bid the max amount you are willing to pay then don't change. I recently purchased 2 firearms from GB and got excellent deals on both - items were exactly as described and I couldn't be happier with the transactions.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6731 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
I have bought several guns off Gunbroker. I will emphasize what has already been mentioned about shipping. Make sure you check how much the shipping charges are. I've seen shipping as high as $50-$75. But some offer free shipping. So make sure you read the ad carefully before you bid.

Check feedback on a seller. Make sure you know who you are dealing with.

Check how they want to receive FFL information. I've seen some who insist on email only, and I've dealt with FFL's before who don't have email, only fax. Yeah, I know. . .just make sure you are on the same page about what they want. It is your responsibility to meet their demands if you bid and win an item.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I've had dozens of transactions on GB and, up to now, they've all been good (knock on wood). Some better than others, but all in all, I've been happy with the guns or equipment I've bought.

The 15 minute rule is good, for both the buyer and seller. As mentioned above, it prevents last second sniping and also gives the buyer a chance to reconsider their bid. You get an email notification when someone outbids you.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1312 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought many things on GB as it has the best selection and the best price, for the most part. I have been fortunate and never had an issue with any transaction as a buyer or seller. Many shops sell there stuff there as it has great exposure just check their feedback and read the business' rules for bidding as some won't let you bid on their product if you don't have prior feedback yourself. I would also contact the business first prior to bidding as they can also ban you from the auction if they have stipulations with no prior feedback. Other than that, it is the best virtual gun show to shop.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
All above good advice- biggest one is restrain yourself from being caught up in a bidding war. Be patient and bid in the last 15-20 minutes...don't get into the mindset that the gun is yours until it is. I've seen some go for more that they are worth as a result.

Factor shipping costs into your total allowable figure. If the seller has a vague "actual shipping" cost, contact them and ask what the ACTUAL cost would be to ship to your zip code. Your idea of "actual" might differ from theirs as sellers sometimes try to pad their profit margin. Review the sellers history as best you can through the feedback function.

If this one doesn't pan out, make your search a little broader. For example, instead of looking for a Stainless Marlin 1894S .44 magnum, search for Marlin, and weed through the results. A bit more time consuming, but not every seller is way savvy when it comes to listing titles. I saw a really nice Marlin Texan 30-30 (somewhat rare straight grip) that went out at a common 336 curved grip price because it was listed as a "Marlin 30-30".

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
Assume the seller is 'selling' and the condition is not as good as described.

Think up a reason to email the seller. I've asked are you the original owner or know the history on the item. Do you know the round count. Even better, ask for a short call. I've used this to rule out sellers with bad attitudes and probably avoided problems.

Decide the max you'll pay and don't go over that number. Otherwise you'll get into a bidding war and you'll pay too much.

Also, don't get excited when it looks like you'll get a good deal. I had a seller cancel a no reserve auction at the last second because he didn't get the price he wanted. Did some research and saw he'd done it multiple times with that same item.

Use the function that allows you to research closed auctions. You'll see what people are paying.

I've mostly had good experiences

this is a good way to get your emails deleted,, and never replied to,

ask for a short call may work for some, but I delete those first, (and once someone bid, it cannot be ended until the auction ends

keep in mind, if a guy has 100 guns listed, he probably has not shot any of them, has no idea of round count, and is just trying to make a living by selling them online,

my brother and I get a kick out of some of the absolutely stupid questions we get on things we (as a business ) have listed on line,

as far as the OP

look closely at the pictures,
look at the listing, (hidden fees, etc etc)
if the seller has a shipping weight listed, you can figure out what shipping should be if they list it at actual, (+/- a few $$)
I still get emails when I state in a listing 'medium flat rate at $14 or less, depending on your zip, + insurance)

and my personal favorite is how much to ship to bumfukedegypt,, with out giving me a zip code,,

anyway,

also, +1 to looking at completed auctions, the show real world, for the most part, pricing (items that sold, vs not sold)

sorry if this was a rant, OP, create an account and enjoy!!

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10422 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Also, buy a couple of "Buy it Now" low dollar accessories ASAP in order to get some positive feedback. Some sellers (especially ones with rare and high dollar items) will refuse to be your first transaction. Get some transactions on your account and you may avoid having a bid deleted for "lack of prior feedback".
They can do that.

Luck,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the seller has a vague "actual shipping" cost, contact them and ask what the ACTUAL cost would be to ship to your zip code.

Very Important for many reasons.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I’ve bought a few on there. Always check seller feedback and comments before bidding. As noted, read all charges for shipping, 3% additional for Credit Cards IF they take credit cards - some are postal money order only.

As noted decide what you want to pay and don’t get caught up. I’ve shopped many guns for 2-3 years before the right deal came up.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post