SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a good LGS in the Boca Raton area
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a good LGS in the Boca Raton area Login/Join 
Picture of Green Highlander
posted
Hey all,

A friend of mine has an employee in the Boca Raton area who is looking to get her first firearm. She seems very nice but does not have a lot of shooting experience. We had a long discussion about what to look for in choosing a firearm and some broader topics of gun ownership and usage. I want to be able to send her recommendations for an LGS that won't take advantage of her or only show her "lady" guns.

Thanks in advance for your time and responses.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2389 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two full-service gun stores come to mind, although neither is in Boca Raton (not really sure if they are allowed).
Delray (just N of BR) Shooting Center and/or Shooter's World in Pompano Beach (just S of BR). Both are reputable and Shooter's World has a Ladies Night (Wed I think).
Plenty of Pawn Shops (thank you very much) but - needless to say - not the place for her. There is a Bass Pro Shops in Hollywood, but I'll only mention it as a last resort, unless she wants to eat there, then it's pretty good.
Delray Shooting Center or Shooter's World.

Posts: 66 | Location: Boca Raton FL | Registered: April 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Gunshine Arms on Dixie. Nick is great, honest and has a really nice shop. Good prices and fair. He has gunsmiths, trainers and knows the SoFla community. Highly recommend. My wife bought her first gun from him. Just noticed google reviews gives him 4.5 stars. He will steer her right.

Gunshine Arms

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like the others have pointed, there are quite a few gun shops in Palm Beach,although I am not sure if there are any in Boca. Of course there is always Shoot Straight off of Southern Blvd by the turnpike entrance/exit(just East I believe). They have the biggest selection around, although they might not have the best deals for all of them.I have bought many firearms from Shoot Straight when they used to work the Palm Beach gun shows. Side note,(She should check there or another big store to handle/get an idea of what she wants and have her bring someone who knows a thing or two with her. She should not go alone,to any gun shop, without having some kind of experienced shooter with her so she gets an idea of what is available and what gun is best for her). You can rent just about any gun there to try out. Mind you it can get expensive between range time, rental,ammo.,etc., but if she is serious about getting one,she needs to make the investment. I wish I did this on many occasion as it would have saved me plenty in the long run. Also, have her get a class as well, so she can become better acquainted with shooting and how to handle her gun and herself.

Posts: 6904 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Not Delray Shooting Center, they will macho her there.

Also, you can get lucky at K&W Gunworks in Delray.

If during the week, there are some nice folks at Gunworld in Deerfield Beach

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5135 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I can also offer to let her try from my stash

p 239 9mm
Kahr PM9 9
Kahr P9
Bertetta 92
Glock 19
SW MP 9C
Sig 238

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5135 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great advice. I will pass it along to her. Thanks Timdogg, I will let her know.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2389 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I have been to Delray Shooting Center twice. I thought all of the guys were dicks.
I will not go back.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Timdogg6:
Not Delray Shooting Center, they will macho her there.

Posts: 1980 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post