SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF database of firearm purchases
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF database of firearm purchases Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://freebeacon.com/guns/bi...e-billion-gun-sales/

When a licensed gun store goes out of business, its private records detailing gun transactions become ATF property and are stored at a federal site in West Virginia

The ATF disclosed to lawmakers that it manages a database of 920,664,765 firearm purchase records, including both digital and hard copy versions of these transactions

While the ATF denies that these records are used to track gun owners, it transfers hard copies of the information into a searchable digital database that it says is used to trace firearms tied to crimes. The ATF reported that 865,787,086 of the records are already in a digital format.

As the ATF stockpiles gun records, the Biden administration is seeking to alter a federal law that allows gun stores to destroy their records after 20 years, preventing the federal government from getting them. The Biden administration wants gun stores to maintain their records in perpetuity, meaning that when a store closes, the ATF receives all of its records.

The ATF maintained in its response to the 2021 investigation that the "sole purpose" of its database and ongoing efforts to digitize out-of-business records "is to trace firearms used in crimes."

More than half-a-million traces were performed in 2021, according to the ATF, and just under half a million in 2020

Posts: 19584 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
The ATF maintained in its response to the 2021 investigation that the "sole purpose" of its database and ongoing efforts to digitize out-of-business records "is to trace firearms used in crimes."

After first making it illegal for you to own a gun for any reason they deem. Frown

Posts: 22921 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Yet another reason to get rid of this treasonous section of the government.

I think that its total BS that they ran 500K traces as part of criminal investigations.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
De facto federal gun registration.

Or would i be out of line jumping to that conclusion?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I wonder if auditing an FFL's bound book each year is counted as a trace. My FFL and gunsmith tells me they just want to see guns that get logged in also get logged out as a sale. Is that a trace?

Posts: 3542 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
KGB Major : Do you want to see me?

Colonel Ernesto Bella : Yes... yes. Go to the sporting goods store. From the files obtain forms 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons, and lists of private ownership.

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I wonder if auditing an FFL's bound book each year is counted as a trace. My FFL and gunsmith tells me they just want to see guns that get logged in also get logged out as a sale. Is that a trace?

That’s not a trace.
A trace is where a department has a gun in hand and runs a “trace” thru ATF.
ATF sends a call to the known distributor where the gun was wholesaled from.
Wholesaler tells which FFL they sold it to.
ATF calls that FFL.
FFL gets call from ATF and gives him a specific serial number.
FFL looks it up in hi 4473 and gives the info the ATF wants…usually it’s the buyer, address, dob, what other guns were sold on that 4473, and phone number if the FFL has it.

Thats a trace. At the end the ATF will contact the originating department if it will help their case or if the Feds are gonna take over the case.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
still a good enough reason to have the organization disbanded, its leadership tossed into GitMo for safekeeping, and ALL of its records and databases destroyed in public view

we have enough government thugs, this would eliminate a large number of surplus fake Americans

Posts: 53198 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
KGB Major : Do you want to see me?

Colonel Ernesto Bella : Yes... yes. Go to the sporting goods store. From the files obtain forms 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons, and lists of private ownership.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I was not upset when the FFL I used for about 10 years had 8 feet of water in his shop in 2016.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
De facto federal gun registration.

Or would i be out of line jumping to that conclusion?

You would actually have to GET in line to make that jump.

Posts: 6396 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
And this is why we don't do a Bill Of Sale when we do private party face to face firearm sales.

No paper, no 4473, no way to trace it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I have been telling people this for years.
You should have seen the look on most peoples faces when I told them. They were not very happy.
Most people did not realize that when a Fire arms dealer retires or goes out of business that ATF takes position of all 4473 forms less than 20 years old. Most of the time if the dealer has form's older than 20 years they take them too.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
920,664,765 firearm purchase records

So when they say there are around 300 million (or whatever BS number they use) firearms privately owned in the US it looks like they're off by 600million. 3 per every person in this country.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I am not worried. I trust my government.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I am not worried. I trust my government.

Where's that pic of those dudes laughing?

Posts: 7361 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
quote:
920,664,765 firearm purchase records

So when they say there are around 300 million (or whatever BS number they use) firearms privately owned in the US it looks like they're off by 600million. 3 per every person in this country.

Came to say this.

The previous estimates of 400 million guns were somewhat conservative, others recalculated and stated closer to 600 million. Both numbers were trashtalked by both sides of the issue.

Now we have the ATF with a credible claim of 900 million weapons, and we need to keep that first and foremost in our discussions as it comes up.

The Japanese had a saying that invading America would face a gun behind every blade of grass. The talk about confiscation faces the same issue - Its Not Going To Happen. Shelve it.

The logistics of a turn in with man hours, staffing, storage, and folks just flat out ignoring it like the AWB ban in CA and SAFE Act in NY state are the real issues. We get a lot of rampant speculation over it, do the math. It would require the search of every building used for habitation in America, and by the time they got to your house, why would the find anything?

We had a perp crawl into a home and hide in the attic locally, a team of deputies searched that house extensively for days and the County Commissioners called it off - because the next step was literally demolition. They didn't want to buy it over an "alledged" firearm being tucked into some cavity somewhere.

Seeing your house being knocked down to the foundation, or you watching them bringing in equipment? The Trucker occupation of Ottawa can't get wreckers to haul off the thousands of trucks - all the wrecker operators are calling in with the flu ... what equipment operator would bid that job?

It can only happen as a single location press event. Like some guy having the FBI SERT team arrive with CNN filming it for 6:00.

There were over 150 million homes a few years back and projected 223 million by 2023. Good luck with that. 900 million guns is the reason why things are being done they way they are - covid passports, supply chain disruption, media control. There are more of us armed than them in office and they damn well know it. We're the ones they have to manipulate and divide.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To your point Tirod, and if this a thread drift I will delete my post, "we" the people are way more numerous and powerful than the gov't.

The gov't just does a great job of preventing us from exercising it.

Look at how hard they came down on the Jan 6 protest and how they are smearing the freedom truckers. Trudeau is out there calling them racists and the media just goes with it.

I sincerely think the powers pulling the strings would love to confiscate American's guns; however I also think, to your point, they know that it is something that would unite us and provide a clear venue to constitutionally exercise the power of the American people.

We would not comply.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The real issue is that the ATF isn’t supposed to keep records on firearms ownership of law abiding citizens. Does anyone here think that whatever records that are stored digitally are going to be deleted after any length of time? I do not. Perhaps in the pre-digital age when physical space for hard copies would be the issue along with going through warehouses to locate records, but now? I’m sorry, i just do not trust them to not retain records ad infinitum. As a comparison, 20 years ago I would have never believed the FBI could be weaponized against law abiding citizens. But here we are.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15598 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many blue states already have a searchable data base.

I have seem my MA state record when I bought my last gun in MA.

I watched the FFL log my purchase.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post