SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stories from the Korean War
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stories from the Korean War Login/Join 
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
My Dad is a 90 year old Korean war Army Vet. He never has talked about combat much. He said he blew up building with a big shoulder fired gun. I forget what it was.

Perhaps a M20 "Super Bazooka".

Here's a photo of a M20 (bottom) along with the smaller M9 "Bazooka", its WW2-era predecessor which fired a smaller rocket (2.36" vs the M20's 3.5").

Or maybe a M18 57mm Recoilless Rifle

The M18 is probably it. That sounds correct. I would have remembered a Bazooka

Thanks Smile

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3500 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad turns 96 in just under 3 weeks. He was in Burma in WWII. He was a radioman in a B17 until he got in theater. I guess he was pulled from that because he didn't have 20/20 vision. Then a lieutenant, another private, and my dad would go up into the hills and radio back enemy aircraft numbers and directions of travel. He said there were a few times they could actually hear the Japanese patrols talking when going past.

My uncle, my mothers brother who wasn't old enough to fight in WWII was a marine in Korea. He told my wife and I that he was at the Chosin. He lives in another state so I rarely see him.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 20 years ago, I worked with a Marine that had been wounded in the leg at Chosin. I can't remember the specifics at this point, but I remember him stating that he'd fly his shot up blood stained uniform on his flagpole on Veterans day and he was mighty unhappy when someone stole it.

Another coworker at the same job flew Mustangs with the 357th FG 363rd FS in WWII.

Posts: 931 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got there in 1958. Several NonComs I worked with in Seoul told me they had very little respect for South Korean solders, claiming they were the first to "Bug Out" when the Chinese hoard attacked during the War.

A Chinese woman I met several years ago claimed she had an uncle who fought in the Korean War. She told me many Chinese solders returned from Korea with severe frost bite wounds. Many had no feet. She said the government forced young girls to take care of those men.

I was given wool clothing and the famous "Mickey Mouse" boots and I still froze my ass in Seoul.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike had enough of it one morning and finally snapped. With his M-1 Garand he executed a headshot on the colonel at over 800 yards. For his actions, Mike was court martialed, given an honorable discharge and fined 10 cents for the bullet.

Very interesting 71.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19257 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I just spoke with my Dad this morning after sending him the picture. He confirmed it was the M18 57MM he shot.

I asked him about the sight and he said they called it a Charlie scope. He told me his partner would make sure it was clear behind him, load the round, tap him on the helmet and he would fire the M18.

Thanks Rouge.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3500 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post