SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How protective are you of your social security number?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How protective are you of your social security number? Login/Join 
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted
It seems like anything I go to do nowadays, medical, banking, real estate, etc., they're always asking me for my social security number. There are just some things you have to get done and until you give them your social security number, it ain't going to happen.

I had a packet mailed to me from an insurance company I'm working with on a matter and there are 6 forms that need to be filled out, 5 of which are asking for my SSN. I called them this morning to complain and got a "I'm sorry sir but your SSN is required on each form. If you're uncomfortable sending it back through the mail, you have the option to do it online electronically." I have to get this done but it has me frustrated, nervous and pissed.

As many times that I've had to give out my SSN recently, I'm sure it's going to find it's way into the hands of the wrong person one of these days.

I'm sure most in my generation and older are reluctant to give out their SSN but I think a lot of the younger folks don't think twice about it. How protective are you of your social security number?

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
As long as you initiated contact with the company then I don't see the problem.

Others asking for it on non financial transactions or sending out requested for you to validate it, are things to be wary of, but in short, yeah I'm not giving it out to anyone unless I've got an existing financial reason or creating a new one.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and right on the SS card, it says Not to be used as identification.

Yeah, right.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

Yeah, right.
That rule went out at least 30 years ago. I try very hard to use other ID, but there are some situations it cannot be done. At least the military fairly quickly got away from using the SSAN as the basis of individual's Service Numbers--they tried that back in the 1970s and it was a big mistake, because Service Numbers were in the public domain.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I attended Iowa State University, exam scores were posted outside the classroom by SSN's. No one cared at that time.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

Yeah, right.
That rule went out at least 30 years ago. I try very hard to use other ID, but there are some situations it cannot be done. At least the military fairly quickly got away from using the SSAN as the basis of individual's Service Numbers--they tried that back in the 1970s and it was a big mistake, because Service Numbers were in the public domain.

flashguy

It went out 30 years ago, but my card's older than that.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am very protective of mine but it seems the rest of the free world is not

I have been applying and interviewing with staffing agencies as well as businesses.

It seems that HR thinks nothing of sending a text requesting that you text them a picture of your SS card and/or drivers license.

Heck... I cannot count how many reps. I have informed that there is no need to have my banking info because you have not offered me a job. HEck I haven't even interviewed.

That goes the same with my SS number.

I cannot recall how many reports, and cases I had to investigate due to fraud, uttering and theft because of stolen SS and drivers license info.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P229 357SIG Man:
How protective are you of your social security number?
*snort* My data has been mined at least three times (of which I'm aware & can recall). It's out there.

So short answer is: I'm not. Not anymore.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
The Chinese communist party hoovered up all our fucking information out of the office of personal management OPM about a decade ago. 40MM classifications.

What did we get for losing the holy of holy‘s information re: ourselves?
Three years of credit score checking.

Phffftt.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Not as protective as I am of my kids’. The schools, Drs, dentist, etc. all ask and so far I’ve successfully said no. The schools make me show them the kids’ Social Security Cards, which is just ridiculous. I’ve tried telling the schools my kids are illegal immigrants and don’t have SSNs, but nobody believes me. Maybe I need to learn a foreign language. Ich kann spreche ein wenig Deutsch.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does not matter if you are protective of your SSN or not. In addition to the VA, three hospitals and several doctor's offices, my number is out there. I have free Identity Theft protection because of it. At one point Tricare had the hard drives stolen out of several computers. Thousands of servicemen and their families had their informamtion compromised. On top of that, Tricare waited to inform the government of the break in.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not too concerned.

My credit is frozen, so not overly concerned with someone taking it and opening any accounts in my name.

--K

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
As much as I can which is not all that great.
I never put on a 4473 form.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course my doctor and dentist need it to send the bill to collections if my insurance doesn’t pay. To provide me service they need nothing past my ID, if that.

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of the members have great points:

I guess I should say I try to minimize how much i use my SS card.

I forgot that OPM, Tricare, the US Army, DOD etc.. all had their crap hacked... SO... Mine is probably out floating in the breeze.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Banks need it because Patriot Act requires it.

Other than if it is specifically required by law, I do not provide mine to anybody.

Of course, there are some numbers that should probably not be used, if an organization that has no legal requirement for a SSN insists on having one. For example,

• 078-05-1120 The "Woolworth" number

• 567-68-0515 Richard Milhous Nixon

• 562-10-0296 Walt Disney

• 409-52-2002 Elvis Presley

• 042-68-4425 Barack Hussein Obama

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
  •  
    Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I'm neither criminally bent or financially astute enough to understand how one would even begin to use this information. It sounds like a lot of work and planning the steps not to mention the risks of prison sex. I'd rather work 55 hours a week and have no worries and because I do work so hard.....I'm obsessive about protecting my SSN!

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of mcrimm
    posted Hide Post
    It wasn’t too awful many years ago that people had their SSN printed on their personal checks.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
    When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just because you can,
    doesn't mean you should
    posted Hide Post
    Places like banks need it but the rest can pound sand. I don’t fill that in and few say anything.
    I have a credit freeze too and don’t need any more credit than I already have. If I do get a new card I just unfreeze it for a day or two.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by SIGnified:
    The Chinese communist party hoovered up all our fucking information out of the office of personal management OPM about a decade ago. 40MM classifications.

What did we get for losing the holy of holy‘s information re: ourselves?
    Three years of credit score checking.

I got free credit monitoring for life from MyIDCare. (I was part of the Chinese OPM hack.) Not sure why you would have only gotten it for three years.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post