SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for firm to do background check on new hires?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for firm to do background check on new hires? Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted
Need a recommendation for someone to use for this on an IT/tech hire. Not looking for top-secret clearance, just general verification of no massive red flags in background.

We don't hire many non-physicians at the group I work for, and docs all get pretty deep research by medical staff and licensure offices.

TIA!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
You don't need to engage a background check firm, verifying an IT guy's bona-fides is dead easy:

# of facial imperfections (pimples, styes, open sores, etc.), 3 pts. each
slouch, rounded shoulders: +4 pts.
bad hair: +3
bad breath/teeth: +4
BO: +10
drippy nose: +4
ugly glasses: +2
indeterminate sex: +5

add these up, over 30 pts., hire immediately, under 10, he/she is just pretending to be IT.

There are other tell-tale characteristics, e.g. mumbling, excessive use of jargon, exaggerated sense of self-importance, defensiveness, obsession with details, etc. The above are just the easiest to spot.

If over forty, some of these tell-tales may be masked or moderated.

Posts: 6794 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I don't have a recommendation about background checks services that focus mostly on criminal history.

You may have already performed these checks on your own...

Calling the Register Office of Universities will confirm their graduation date and degree.

Any Certifications the applicant offers can be verified through the Agency owning the certification.

Architect, that's a funny list ~ Stealing it for use at work!!!!

Posts: 2868 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Sterling

https://www.sterlingcheck.com/

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1750 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
architect,

+5 if the candidate immediately blames the problem on the person reporting the problem. At least at my last F/T job that’s how it worked. Guilty until proven innocent.

+4 if the candidate’s clothing appears to have been slept in at least one night.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Did you already check their social media, or will the firm do that for you?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17624 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post