SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interesting fact from the tow truck driver today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting fact from the tow truck driver today Login/Join 
posted
The Buick LeSaber needed a ride to the tiny town mechanic today,
A flatbed came and picked it up.

On the mile and a quarter trip the driver
Told me to hang on to my "04" as long as I can.

He said that 80% of vehicles that he picked up were 2017 models and newer,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Seems people love to make car payments. Just gets 'em all giddy once a month...

Either that or they feel like they have to have something new every year?

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Was it because the cars ran out of 'lectric, or because the owners ran out of money?

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I’d be curious to know what percentage of vehicles on the road today are 2017 or newer. If the majority are 2017 or newer than it just makes sense that the majority of what he picks up would be those vehicles. Doesn’t it?

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6731 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't always believe tow truck drivers. Besides which, he told you this as he was actually towing your '04. Hmm.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

He said that 80% of vehicles that he picked up were 2017 models and newer,

But aren't most of the cars on the road 2017 and newer? Not sure, Just asking.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Agreed those old Buicks with 3800 v6 are good cars that will run a long life with just a little TLC ! My daughter has my 2006 Lacrosse , that just keeps chugging along .

Posts: 791 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere recently that the average age of vehicles on the road is 11 years…so most are older than 2017 models.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6318 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
I’d be curious to know what percentage of vehicles on the road today are 2017 or newer. If the majority are 2017 or newer than it just makes sense that the majority of what he picks up would be those vehicles. Doesn’t it?

That's what I always ask when I hear such statistics.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Say what you will but the Buick built 3800 was a great engine. Sure we had some issues with them towards the end of production with the plastic coolant elbows and intake manifolds but that was nothing to do with the design of the block,heads and the rotating assembly parts.

From 1990 through 2004 we had fourof them, the only thing that ever got to these cars was rust or teenage drivers. The best of the batch we had was a 92 Regal that got phenomenal mileage on the highway even at 80 mph. Of those only one had any engine “failure”, a crankshaft position sensor. All of them had in excess of 150k when they were replaced.

The 3.6L engine that replaced the 3800, lot of internal politics reasons from GM. Engineering contended that pushrod engines were outdated and OHC engines were so much more modern. Sure, as long as you overlooked all the problems with timing chains, tensioners, chain guides. Nor did they get the fuel mileage that the 3800 did.

As I’ve contended in the past, guess the LS engine engineering team didn’t get the memo about how outdated the pushrod engines were. Good thing.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8106 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
IF you'd like to read some data points on the age of vehicles on the road, so the data leads some validity in that the largest age group on the road is 15-19 at 26% add the 20-24 at 12% and 38% of the cars on the road are 15 and newer.

Or it could be that a large number of 2017 and newer vehicles have towing coverage and people are more apt to use it.

Or it could mean, nothing...
Click Here

VIN YEAR RANGE % OF VEHICLES
2020-24 model years 12%
2015-19 model years 26%
2010-14 model years 19%
2005-09 model years 20%
2000-04 model years 14%
1995-99 model years 5%
1990-94 model years 2%
1985-89 model years 1%
Older than 1985 1%

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Maybe a better statistic would be why they were towed.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1st time in 12 years using triple A .

Real nice tow guy, should be in customer relations.
A young billy gibbons, 7 years in the business.
Hospitalized twice by distracted drivers.

I bought him a cheap lunch

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Maybe people that own older cars are a more resourceful bunch who have their buddies tow them back home to fix it themselves.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2246 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The 3800 was a great motor but changing the rear spark plugs was an experience I’d never want to go through ever againBig Grin

Posts: 13115 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Everything around the engine of my Y2K Grand Prix is falling apart, but it keeps chugging along as my commuter. I'm no leadfoot, but It only gets 15mpg. Red Face

Posts: 2661 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Say what you will but the Buick built 3800 was a great engine.

The '95 Park Avenue we had was great. Roomy, comfortable, enough trunk for golf clubs and coolers... and as big and heavy as it was, it still got over 30 mpg.

I still endure a good ribbing once in a while: "I want my Buick back!"

Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I was watching a video recently of the top ten engines ever made. The GM 3800 was on that list. Must be a solid unit to be considered in anybody’s top ten.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8219 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should of asked him what year his tow truck was.

Posts: 423 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I had 2 of those 3800s. I'll agree they were great, and mated with a great trans too. My '92 olds would eat a water pump every 60K but always warned me, lol. An '02 Impala didn't even do that, tho the pass-key ignition gave me some shit. Red Face Both cars made over 190k with good gas mileage. The newer 3.5 was cheaper to build and made better HP. Experience seems to show it was not a good trade off for me.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post