SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FreedomPop Cell Phone Service
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FreedomPop Cell Phone Service Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
If you are using FreedomPop, please tell us the good and the bad.

I am thinking about using it on a spare iPhone, for a back-up.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Mine uses ATT towers. I paid for a sim card and currently use the free plan. I think it’s 200 mins a month and 500 texts. No vm. No pictures. No group texts. Simple short text messages only.

I keep it in the car as an emergency phone.

You have to install their app to make it work.

Whenever I retire a phone, I get a freedompop card for it.

If I don’t use it, at least once a month I will make a test text and test call to make sure it’s working. No issues and it’s been two years? I have it on two phones. An iphone 5s and an android phone.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
My wife had it for a month. The customer service is horrible! We never were able to get her number ported over.

Posts: 7400 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I never had to call customer service. I just made a new number since it was a backup phone. Last time it actually let me pick the last four digits!

When I was car shopping, I actually used the FreedomPop phone number. The phone is aways in my car so the idiots at the dealerships that called me got no business or answers. The ones that read I work nights, please email, is the one I went to.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I looked at this phone service. Seems it's limited in customers thus coverage areas. That concerned me.
I wish it was mainstream.

I'll have to stay with the top tier brands.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Chowser has the answer that I was looking for:
quote:
Whenever I retire a phone, I get a freedompop card for it.
I will not use this as a primary service. My intention was to use it as a back-up in a phone that was taken out of service when I got a newer phone. It would rarely be used, and then mostly to communicate with people who I do not want to have my "real" number.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E26R-40-BSE
posted Hide Post
FreedomPop as it used to be (free calls/text/500MB data) is no more. FreedomPop sold its subscriber base to Ting (those that were on Sprint) and Red Pocket (for the GSM subscribers). While I'm not following this saga anymore (FreedomPop started charging substantial fees on the "free" accounts just prior to the sale, without notifying its users), I read that the free deal is gone. Ting may be offering a decent deal ($6 unlimited talk/text + $4/GB) for previous FreedomPop subscribers at http://ting.com/mobile/freedompop.

Posts: 839 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: November 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by E26R-40-BSE:

FreedomPop as it used to be (free calls/text/500MB data) is no more. FreedomPop sold its subscriber base to Ting (those that were on Sprint) and Red Pocket (for the GSM subscribers). While I'm not following this saga anymore (FreedomPop started charging substantial fees on the "free" accounts just prior to the sale, without notifying its users), I read that the free deal is gone. Ting may be offering a decent deal ($6 unlimited talk/text + $4/GB) for previous FreedomPop subscribers at http://ting.com/mobile/freedompop.
When did this happen?

I received an email from FreedomPop three days ago (August 19, 2019) offering a free monthly service with 200 minutes talk time, 500 texts, and 200 MB data.

That email prompted me to start this thread.

Edit: I think that I see what's going on. FreedomPop was previously offering a choice of two different services: CDMA on Sprint, and GSM on AT&T. It appears that FreedomPop has sold the Sprint portion to Ting, but FreedomPop retains the AT&T portion.

That kind of makes sense, as Ting is a reseller for Sprint CDMA service, and T-Mobile GSM service.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I just checked all three of my FreedomPop phones and they are still free on ATT. I keep one in my car and one in my daughter’s car. The other one I have in my Android phone that I use daily for Android stuff.

Not minority enough!

Picture of E26R-40-BSE
posted Hide Post
Apologies for going AWOL right after posting. Was traveling out-of-country, with little time to spend on this forum.

The Ting/CDMA deal was done in late May/early June. Ting started transferring service from FP last month, apparently. No more free basic plan from them, cheapest plan seems to be the $6/month.

The GSM business apparently was sold to Red Pocket Mobile. Several folks in this long thread are reporting that for now Red Pocket is honoring the free basic plan.

Posts: 839 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: November 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post