SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who else here is a “grinder”?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who else here is a “grinder”? Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I used to be top 10% in hours worked in a large, multinational corp. The hours, the volume of work, and the i’s dotted and t’s crossed all became the expectation. My annual evaluation seemingly was whether or not I did more than last year rather than how did I perform relative to my peers. The final straw was when my counterpart brought his project in 100% over budget and late while I brought mine in under budget and on time, but he got the promotion and I didn’t. I made a lateral move and started working less hours and enjoying life outside of work more. It didn’t impact my evaluations either since I did it coincidental to a relocation (ie all new people above me). In fact, I think being happier is one of the reasons my evaluations went from good to great.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23691 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
I was before I retired. I loved catching bad guys. You can’t solve cases sitting at your desk.

Posts: 403 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Almost three years ago I dropped down from a dept manager to a staff position. Lost some significant annual bonus money, but my company didn't cut my base salary. I no longer have to deal with calamity after calamity even when off, get to devote more time to my patients, and don't find myself working extra unpaid hours every week. I am healthier, happier and my family life improved significantly. I still come in 15-30 minutes earlier than opening time, but only to get ahead for the day. Other than that it is much better for me being a grunt instead of the boss.

I second the nobody wished they worked more sentiment.

Posts: 11416 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Yup. I work for myself, so I cover a lot of ground and stack a lot of work up to stay busy. I'm better being busy than I am being idle.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The young, energetic cardiologist who replaced me couldn't figure out how we did so much.
He's probably found out by now.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’ve always been a hard worker. Burning the candle at both ends and in the middle. Even back to middle school.

This year has probably been the craziest thus far. I’ll make more than my boss’s boss. Actually may already be past them.

Is it worth it? No, not now. I’m killing myself working nights and then doing everything I’m doing during the days. Sure, It got me to where I am today, but honestly my life would be just as good if I stopped all the extra stuff tomorrow. But there isn’t anyone willing to step up and take it over. And I enjoy it most of the time.

But I’m exhausted. I am appreciated, I’m grateful for that, but we need more people to fill openings and spread the responsibilities around.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm in I.T. and it's a go-Live week on a big project. A quick calculation in my head, I think I'm at 71 hours since Saturday morning. I slept a waiting room couch a total of two hours between Saturday morning and late Sunday night.

This is NOT the norm. But daily 10s are. And fairly constant texts and emails much of the rest of the time.

That said,.. I'm looking forward to the day when I can draw that back (on my own terms I hope).

Posts: 11433 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
When I first read the title, I was reminded of my grandfather "Boy, there are welders, and there are grinders... you are a grinder" Smile

But after reading your actual post, yes I am a grinder. I do what I am capable of to 100%, and striving to learn what I am not yet capable of.
I am always looking for the next hat to wear, most of the time to my wife's discontent.

I am starting to shrug a bit lately though... it is exhausting to try an maintain this level of energy.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stripped my 500 sf deck this early fall with a angle grinder to prepare for new finish, so I do consider myself a grinder.
More to the OP's point however, I was for many years that guy who was at the bench early, never got a break in and couldn't leave before everything was tied up with a bow. The only thing this ever brought me was self satisfaction and punishment from above.
Today I can still kick it into another gear or two when needed, but I let myself off the hook more often. Let the youngsters take a crack at failing. Happier now?, maybe some.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1132 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I am. I like my job. After all these years, I still love working cases. And I’m aggressive about it and take great pride in it. I rarely sit at my desk and screw off. So much so, I never spend any time at my other office at all other than when required. I’m always at the top on all the stats. I’m usually the first in and last to leave. I put more hours in than anyone else. And it’s all a matter of personal pride at being good at what I do.

Does anyone else love to hit it hard?

be careful

the job's never going to love you back

by all means -- take pride in your work ... but finding balance is key

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Yes. I definitely fit the mold you describe.

When I was the head of the Distribution Center I used to manage, I worked way too much. For the first three months after I was promoted, I was working 80-90 hours per week. When things finally got under control, I worked 60-70.

When we moved to AZ almost two years ago, I promised my wife that I would never let a job consume me like that again. Now I am the GM for a small company. While I am almost always the first in, and the last out, I work about 46-47 hours a week. I haven’t let the job consume me. That said, the owners love me. They are grateful to have me working there and leading the teams. I strive for excellence and efficiencies. I am working everyday to do my best to make things better for everyone who works there, while making the business more profitable.

I don’t ever care to retire. It looks boring and uneventful. I love to go to work everyday. I truly enjoy it.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am one of the fortunate people who loved the job. I was in the medical laboratory my entire career, from washing lab glassware I the 1950’s to owning my own laboratory business in the 90’s.

I enjoyed all aspects of the laboratory because I believe that what I did made a major contribution to the health and well-being of the people I served. The nature of the business frequently required 18 to 24 hour work days... still rewarding despite being tired out afterwards.

Despite being retired, I still keep up with my reading in the field.

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2159 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
If you are lucky, your job/career is what you love to do - my first boss loved being a veterinarian. If he didn't do it as a living, he would do it for the fun, and he was really good at it. I am similar, and even though I now work in a different aspect of the profession, I am actually looking forward to retiring and getting back to the exam room ( likely part time ) for the joy of it.

People who love what they do never work a day in their lives. Good for you, Jerry !

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I like to grind when there's overwhelming work to be done. In 2011, I looked at my end of the year pay stub and it indicated 711 hours of overtime for the year.

Now, not so much work going on and I'm only allowed to work 40 a week. It's demoralizing but hopefully temporary.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5526 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post