SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pink Jeep Tours -- Are They Worth The Money?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pink Jeep Tours -- Are They Worth The Money? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Planning a few activities in Sedona, and Pink Jeep seems to have the high zoot setup. Any reason not to trust my 25th wedding anniversary activities to Pink Jeep?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
When visiting a few years back, I tipped the gal-driver to take us without waiting for a full Jeep. And to take a drive thru her favorite spots.

If I was spending time in the area, I'd be just as happy taking a slow drive north on 89A to Flagstaff. Late lunch, then head on back. Oak Creek Canyon - beautiful area. The Vortex Insurance is definitely a good value. If only for peace of mind.

Arizona State Route 89A --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_State_Route_89A

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes (to answer your thread title question)!

It was a while ago, but I think we did the 'Broken Arrow Tour'.

It's a great ride on some pretty rugged terrain, and you will get to see / experience the beauty of Sedona that you will not have from pulling over at a scenic rest stop.

Rob

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I vote YES. Did it in 2009 and really enjoyed it. Could possibly irritate a bad back. My photos are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157622669929138/.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Yes, we had a terrific ride, one of the fun family things we did in Sedona. Many great pictures!

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did it a few years ago and had a great experience.

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And swing by Jerome if you have time. Well worth it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
The Broken Arrow tour is definitely worth the money. We've taken people in their 70s on it, so not really that rough. You get to see some sights in Sedona that would require some really intense hiking to get to.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, in/around Sedona.

The Pink Jeep tours to the Grand Canyon are in mini buses.

If you want to drive yourself, https://barlows.us/ has good equipment and people.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
Yes, in/around Sedona.

If you want to drive yourself, https://barlows.us/ has good equipment and people.
Right! One does NOT drive Schnebley Hill Rd. in anything less rugged than a Jeep or Humvee!

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
Yes, in/around Sedona.

Right! One does NOT drive Schnebley Hill Rd. in anything less rugged than a Jeep or Humvee!

flashguy

You say that, but I'm telling you - when Mrs.BurtonRW and I rented a nice Rubi from Barlows and headed up to Cow Pies one afternoon, I swear to God, we passed a Subaru Forester on the way down. They were local and had done this before (I know because I waived them down and asked). I was pretty impressed.

Anyway - as to the OP's question, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a fan of PinkJeep. Mostly a gimmicky thing for a bunch of yahoo tourists by my observations. (Kind of the same way I feel about "ATV Adventures" in the middle of the Costa Rican jungle.) Their jeeps tend to be much more lifted than necessary and they seem to focus on the experience of a high speed bounce-fest rather than simply using vehicles capable of getting to an intended destination.

We did do a jeep tour, and I'm sorry now that I forget the name of the company, but we went specifically because they take a very limited number of people to a piece of private land where you actually get out and hike around the property with a knowledgeable guide to enjoy the artifacts and rock painting. We were the only two in our group. Probably wasn't nearly as "exciting" as a Pink Jeep. Roll Eyes

Renting a jeep is expensive - especially when you buy the tow insurance (and do buy the tow insurance unless you're an experienced rock crawler) - but definitely a more pleasurable experience in my mind to do it yourself on your own terms and timetable if you're goal is simply to get to the top of some of the off-road trails out there.

On the other hand, if you want the amusement park ride experience, Pink Jeep will fit the bill nicely.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Pink Jeep seemed to be very busy with tours as we saw many many pink jeeps. we went with a different jeep tour, sorry I can't remember company name, which seemed more personalized. Wife and I were only ones on tour and we probably got a lot more out of tour since we weren't jammed in with others we didn't know. But overall, it is such a beautiful area you probably can't go wrong with any jeep tour.

Have fun!

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
They're absolutely worth it. I've done just about every Sedona one they offer. Scenic rim is a good first timer tour as it gives you some history of the Sedona area as well as information on local rock formations, plants, etc...

https://www.pinkjeeptourssedon...our-scenic-rim-tour/

If you want any other travel tips for out that way let me know, I try to get out there at least once every other year, if not every year.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
One does NOT drive Schnebley Hill Rd. in anything less rugged than a Jeep or Humvee!

Um, no. I've driven a stock Nissan Xterra, Ford F-150 and Toyota 4Runner the full length of that road. There's really only 2 obstacles that present a challenge. But erosion really has turned some of the sections into a very rough and washboarded trail.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I'd say it depends what you are looking for. My in-laws have taken a couple of tours with them at different times and they have thoroughly enjoyed it. Other alternatives are to rent a Jeep, Tomcar (think side by side off road sand rail type vehicle) or side by side ATV and drive the trails yourself. With Pink Jeep you'll have a driver to tell you about the area. Doing it yourself you can do it at your own pace, stop where you want for as long as you want. There's a quite a few operations few self rentals.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well, I just checked my photos from 2009 and apparently I used Red Rock Western Jeep Tours for my experience. It was great.

DSC_0196
by David Casteel, on Flickr

flashguy

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am headed to Sedona next week to play some golf at Oak Creek

I will be checking out the tours as well - I'd like to do one some time

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post