SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Unsolicited seeds being sent to the US from China. (Follow-up article pg 2, 31Jul20)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unsolicited seeds being sent to the US from China. (Follow-up article pg 2, 31Jul20) Login/Join 
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
Uh-huh....

Seed to flower to pod to:

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MS Bureau of Plant Industry
^^^
Another agency I never heard of. Quite a title.

Posts: 17244 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
14 seed varieties identified by the USDA. The mystery seeds include (get ready):

• mustard
  • cabbage
  • mint
  • sage
  • rosemary
  • lavender
  • morning glory
  • hibiscus
  • roses

"At this time, we don't have any evidence indicating this is something other than a 'brushing scam' where people receive unsolicited items from a seller who then posts false customer reviews to boost sales," the agency wrote in a statement."

Although the samples that have been identified so far appear to be harmless, the USDA is urging Americans to not plant unsolicited seeds.

FoxNews

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
    "First, Eyes."
  •  
    Posts: 16363 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Living a strange life
    Picture of jonrem
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by mesabi:
    When I put my tinfoil hat on, I worry about some bio-engineered blight to attack domestic food crop production. Same thing happens when I take my my tinfoil hat off.

They’ll do that when they’re in a position of strength. For now, they’re going to need our food imports due to flooding.

Posts: 442 | Location: Central TN | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    OK. Let's get back to Murder Hornets.

They didn't get a fair shake and only had a few days in the limelight. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Lost
    Picture of kkina
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Graniteguy:

They Found the First One in Washington State

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
    "First, Eyes."

Posts: 16363 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    ...and now here's Al
    with the Weather.
    Picture of guardianangel762
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by kkina:
    14 seed varieties identified by the USDA. The mystery seeds include (get ready):

• mustard
  • cabbage
  • mint
  • sage
  • rosemary
  • lavender
  • morning glory
  • hibiscus
  • roses

• Those sneaky Chinese.

Is there a plant that is so badass just planting it in someone's country is an act of war?

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    is circumspective
    Picture of vinnybass
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^ Off the top of my head, kudzu & bamboo.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5481 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Why am I left out? No one has sent me any seeds.
    I never win anything! Frown

End of Earth: 2 Miles
    Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by vinnybass:
    ^^^ Off the top of my head, kudzu & bamboo.

I could be wrong, but I think we intentionally imported kudzu, but I'd still like to kick the person who did.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
    Picture of Angus the Kid
    posted Hide Post
    Have you ever planted Morning Glory? It will take over the world one day!

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6142 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by drill sgt:
    Just ask anybody in some of the southern states about how they feel about "KUDZU"when it was introduced to help control problems with erosion. Also ask about the "nutrea" rats that imported as pets in the 1800"s.(just a couple of pairs) They got loose and have destroyed so much property/wetlands across the entire gulf coast. Be very carefull. Once the smoke gets out of the bottle it does not go back in. .................... drill sgt.

The US National Resource Conservation Service (NRCS), then known as the Soil Conservation Service, brought in Veldt Grass to stabilize sandy slopes. They’ve since regretted that decision as it is quite invasive and good luck getting rid of it. On the plus side, it has a lot of protein and cattle and goats seem to eat it readily. Probably better than KUDZU, but still a mistake...

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Don't Panic
    Picture of joel9507
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 280nosler:
    I could be wrong, but I think we intentionally imported kudzu, but I'd still like to kick the person who did.

I have heard, but cannot confirm, that back in the day there were state and federal agencies promoting the planting of kudzu for preventing erosion.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Graniteguy:

They Found the First One in Washington State

Former co-worker posted a picture of one she found at her Church her in CO. I don't think she was trying to hype things so I'm assuming it's real and they're here too.

Cicada Killer Wasps are being misidentified as murder hornets across the country. Being in CO I'd think it was a Cicada killer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6232 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    People are genius

quote:
    BOONEVILLE, Ark. – The U.S. Department of Agriculture is asking people who receive unsolicited seeds sent from China not to plant them – but the warnings came two months too late for one Arkansas man.

“We brought them down here and planted the seeds just to see what would happen, every two weeks I’d come by and put Miracle-Gro on it and they just started growing like crazy,” Booneville resident Doyle Crenshaw told KFSM.

State agriculture officials have not yet been able to identify the plant that bears orange flowers and white, squash-like fruit. The Arkansas Department of Agriculture is taking the plants for further investigation, KFSM reports.

People across the country have been reporting unwanted deliveries from China of mysterious seeds in small, plastic bags. Like the shipment that arrived at Crenshaw’s door, some of the seeds are labeled on the outside as jewelry.

The USDA has speculated that the seed deliveries are part of a “brushing scam” in which online retailers use the identities of the seed recipients to post favorable customer reviews.

The USDA said in a statement it will work with “industry partners and other e-commerce platforms to put a stop to these illegal shipments,” adding that “compliance with import protocols is imperative to safeguard U.S. agriculture from pests and diseases.”

In the meantime, officials are asking anyone who receives such a package to not plant the seeds – which might spread an invasive species, pest or plant disease – and to immediately contact their state plant regulatory official or USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

For the record, Booneville is also where this ride was devised by some rednecks.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12427 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    For real?
    Picture of Chowser
    posted Hide Post
    Got an email from my fedex account today.

Something is coming from

YUNGOU TRADE
    ROOM 3-307 HUATONG SCIENCE PARK
    NO.66 SOFTWARE AVENUE
    NANJING, CN, 211100

Reference says chemical synthesis fiber wig.
    Package is 0.3KG. Probably seeds. Hopefully customs grabs it so I don’t have to deal with it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

• mustard
  • cabbage
  • mint
  • sage
  • rosemary
  • lavender
  • morning glory
  • hibiscus
  • roses

"At this time, we don't have any evidence indicating this is something other than a 'brushing scam' where people receive unsolicited items from a seller who then posts false customer reviews to boost sales," the agency wrote in a statement."

Although the samples that have been identified so far appear to be harmless, the USDA is urging Americans to not plant unsolicited seeds.

FoxNews

• A clandestine recording. Captured in a super secret backroom someplace in the northern suburbs of Beijing:

"Lessee...the bee-killing disease isn't working as well as we hoped. Their damned researchers are going to have time to find a cure! Fong Li, that HUMONGOUS MURDER HORNET idea was just plain DUMB. Besides, you're supposed to implant them in the heart of CALIFORNIA'S agricultural region, not to some podunk, no-place backwater on the edge of Washington State. Not even in that state's main farming region...SHEESH. What a noob move!"

<a sigh...then a dramatic pause>

"Now...this new idea may have some possibilities. Genetically mutated seeds; whose pollen is designed to nefariously sterilize the queen bee and end bee populations like FOREVER. America will come CRAWLING TO US for their food, just like they do for iPhones, Harbor Freight tools, Walmart schlock, everything else! Win-win for us! It is now time to say, 'bwahahahaha'. But in UNISON, this time! Do NOT forget: the Party Rocks!"

<end of recording>

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    "Member"
    Picture of cas
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

mustard
    cabbage
    mint
    sage
    rosemary
    lavender
    morning glory
    hibiscus
    roses

And now that people are expecting those, they start sending the OTHER seeds! (cue dramatic music)

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post