SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bill Would Allow Last WWII Medal of Honor Recipient to Lie in State at Capitol - Only 4 remain
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bill Would Allow Last WWII Medal of Honor Recipient to Lie in State at Capitol - Only 4 remain Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
This would be well deserved.

“A total of 464 Medals of Honor were awarded during World War II, 266 of them posthumously, according to government figures. Only Williams, Coolidge, Currey and Maxwell are still living.”

https://www.military.com/daily...ctmlUaf7_Lw4727AZFxc

Bill Would Allow Last WWII Medal of Honor Recipient to Lie in State at Capitol
A bill that would have the last Medal of Honor recipient from World War II lie in state in the Capitol Rotunda gained bipartisan backing Monday from the chairmen and ranking members of the Senate and House Veterans Affairs Committees.

"I can't think of anybody who would vote against that," Sen. Johnny Isakson, R-Georgia, chairman of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee, said of the bill introduced in January by Rep. Carol Miller, R-West Virginia, which would direct a state funeral for a member of the "Greatest Generation" who earned the nation's highest award for valor.

State funerals, and lying in state at the Capitol Rotunda, are reserved for current and former U.S. presidents and those deemed to have rendered "distinguished service." The late Sen. John McCain was granted the honor last August.

Army Gens. John J. Pershing and Douglas A. MacArthur had state funerals, but there has never been one for an identified enlisted service member. (There have been state funerals for the "Unknown Soldiers" of World War I and World War II.)

All four living recipients of the Medal of Honor from World War II were enlisted. They include former Marine Warrant Officer Hershel "Woody" Williams of West Virginia and three former soldiers: Tech. Sgt. Charles H. Coolidge of Tennessee, Tech. Sgt. Francis S. Currey of New York and Technician 5th Grade Robert D. Maxwell of Colorado.

At an American Legion event Monday, a member of the audience asked Isakson; Sen. Jon Tester, D-Montana, ranking member of SVAC; Rep. Mark Takano, D-California, chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee (HVAC); and Rep. Phil Roe, R-Tennessee, ranking member of HVAC, whether they would support the bill.

Roe said he "absolutely" would back the bill, while Tester said "it would be fitting and proper" to honor the last Medal of Honor recipient of World War II in the nation's capital.

Takano also said he would back the bill and noted that three of his great-uncles served in the legendary "Go For Broke" 442nd Infantry Regiment of Japanese-Americans during World War II.

"I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them," he said.

In introducing the bill in January, Miller said that honoring the last WWII Medal of Honor recipient would show the nation's gratitude to all "our veterans from the Greatest Generation."

"In this time of political divide, respecting our veterans and honoring our nation's heroes is something all of my colleagues can come together to support," she said.

A total of 464 Medals of Honor were awarded during World War II, 266 of them posthumously, according to government figures. Only Williams, Coolidge, Currey and Maxwell are still living.

Williams, 95, was awarded the medal for his actions with a flamethrower and demolition charges in taking out enemy pillboxes during the battle of Iwo Jima.

Coolidge, 97, was honored for leading a small unit in France in holding off overwhelming German attacks for four days.

Currey, 93, was credited with taking out four enemy tanks in France with a "bazooka" and anti-tank grenades while rescuing five other U.S. soldiers guarding a bridge.

The oldest of the four, Maxwell, 98, was awarded the medal for falling on a grenade in France to protect other soldiers.

Following Miller's introduction of the bill, the entire West Virginia congressional delegation sent a letter to President Donald Trump requesting a state funeral for the last Medal of Honor recipient from World War II.

"The Greatest Generation represents the very best of West Virginia and America," the letter said. "For this reason, we can think of no greater tribute than to honor the last of our national heroes of this generation with a state funeral."

Last August at the American Legion's National Convention, a resolution was passed in support of a petition to honor the last MoH recipient from the war with a state funeral "to join together the hearts of millions of Americans in a unifying event honoring the legacy of all World War II veterans."

The petition was begun by Bill McNutt, chairman and co-founder of State Funeral for World War II Veterans. He told Stars & Stripes last year, "The country is so desperate for something that is unifying, not political, yet patriotic. This is all of those things."

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
All four should lie in state in the Capital, if that is their wish, as should every recipient of the Medal of Honor.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
All four should lie in state in the Capital, if that is their wish, as should every recipient of the Medal of Honor.

I agree absolutely.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Is that not one of their privileges now?

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Is that not one of their privileges now?

No, it has not been done in the past.

quote:
State funerals, and lying in state at the Capitol Rotunda, are reserved for current and former U.S. presidents and those deemed to have rendered "distinguished service." The late Sen. John McCain was granted the honor last August.

Army Gens. John J. Pershing and Douglas A. MacArthur had state funerals, but there has never been one for an identified enlisted service member. (There have been state funerals for the "Unknown Soldiers" of World War I and World War II.)

- John Adams

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Yes, this is right. What they are currently eligible for is burial at Arlington.

quote:
State funerals, and lying in state at the Capitol Rotunda, are reserved for current and former U.S. presidents and those deemed to have rendered "distinguished service."

If earning a MOH isn't "distinguished service," what is?

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'd settle for making sure all students in high school get taught what the Medal of Honor means and what the man did to receive it. What better way to honor these true hero's than to tell their stories to the next generation.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
^^^ This! ^^^

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
It is deserved and I fully support it!

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I'd settle for making sure all students in high school get taught what the Medal of Honor means and what the man did to receive it. What better way to honor these true hero's than to tell their stories to the next generation.

This for sure!

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely!!!!

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:

I agree absolutely.

Allow all four to lie in state at the Capital. Declare a national day of mourning to be observed by ALL of the country on the scale of JFK's funeral. The day of mourning in honor of the last and all the other recipients of the Medal of Honor of WWII.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I’d like every American seeing that to feel the lump in their throat and the tear in their eye that I am feeling now just thinking about it. An overwhelming sense of gratitude for them and all who fought for us.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, but not just the WWII recipients but all Medal of Honor recipients.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well if mcstain could lie in state there, MOH recipients should certainly be eligible.

Personally, I think this is a great idea! Any and all MOH recipients should have that choice, or at least their families.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I’d like every American seeing that to feel the lump in their throat and the tear in their eye that I am feeling now just thinking about it. An overwhelming sense of gratitude for them and all who fought for us.

Yeah! Me too.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It would seem to me that this would make the most sense. I don't know how I would feel knowing that the prize for outliving the 463 receipients was to lie in state once I died.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would be nice to see the four of them celebrated and honored in the Capitol BEFORE they lie in state. A WWII MOH remberance day.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Would be nice to see the four of them celebrated and honored in the Capitol BEFORE they lie in state. A WWII MOH remberance day.

Absolutely..

quote:

I agree, why just the last one....

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
An excellent bill introduced by my Congresswoman and friend, Carol Miller.
Bravo.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post