SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP Trini Lopez...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Trini Lopez... Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
I can remember his music coming from the juke box in my parents tavern back in the 60's. Then of course his appearance in The Dirty Dozen. Rest in peace Mr. Lopez and thanks for the memories!

Trini Lopez

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
As a guitar player, I am also aware that Gibson came to Lopez and asked him to design a guitar for them. He actually designed two! From Wikipedia:
quote:
Wikipedia:
Two Trini Lopez signature models were developed based on the ES-335 model, known as the Trini Lopez Standard and the Trini Lopez Custom. They were initially produced from 1964-1971, and reissues have been produced periodically since the initial run.

The Trini Lopez Standard featured the same body shape and profile as the ES-335, with diamond-shaped holes in the place of the f-shaped holes, a Gibson Firebird headstock, split diamond inlays on the fingerboard, a trapeze tailpiece with a plaque with Trini Lopez's name, and a standard cherry red finish. A modified version of the Trini Lopez Standard, with a stop-tailpiece and a custom Pelham Blue finish is used by Dave Grohl as his primary stage guitar; the Gibson Custom Shop produced a market version known as the "DG-335" in 2015.

The Trini Lopez Custom came in a standard cherry sunburst finish, had a thicker body and cutout bouts with pointed tips instead of the standard rounded tips (similar to the Gibson Barney Kessel Custom guitar), a more ornate pickguard, and different locations for its two selector switches, but otherwise had the same tailpiece, fingerboard, headstock, and electronics as the Trini Lopez Standard.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My parents used to listen to him all the time as well. RIP.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16354 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
His Dirty Dozen character Pedro Jiminez, dies off-screen after a parachute jump word is he clashed with director Robert Aldrich and was written out of the film.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Another "I had no idea" for sure.

Rest in peace sir.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I always thought he was just that guy from The Dirty Dozen.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
His Dirty Dozen character Pedro Jiminez, dies off-screen after a parachute jump word is he clashed with director Robert Aldrich and was written out of the film.

Yeah, reportedly Lopez demanded his part to be larger and Aldrich basically dumped him the next day, having him hang on an apple tree, some say a slight reference to his song "The Lemon Tree".

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WRT to the Dirty Dozen, the movie Sleepless in Seattle, has a scene where Tom Hanks and Victor Garber (as Hanks’ brother in law) dunk on Rita Wilson’s (as Hanks’ sister) take on weepy chick flicks, and Tom Hanks’ situation in the movie, by lamenting that everyone cried when Trini Lopez died in the Dirty Dozen.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=coOYa4h98M4

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to listen to his album going to sleep at night when I was very young. Relaxing and melodic.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I always thought of him wanting a hammer (song)
I never realized he was in dirty dozen.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
RIP Mr Lopez

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post