SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sheng Thao, “progressive” mayor of Oakland, up for recall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheng Thao, “progressive” mayor of Oakland, up for recall Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“A crime-plagued California city may be one step closer to reversing its misfortunes after taking drastic action against its progressive mayor.

Sheng Thao will face a historic recall election in November amid anger over her failure to get a grip on the situation in Oakland.

The progressive Democrat lawmaker is the first mayor in the city's history to be up for recall, after a campaign to oust her gained more than 40,000 signatures.

'In just a year, Thao's incompetence and dishonesty accelerated Oakland's decline, causing longstanding businesses to close and generational families to leave,' the Oakland United to Recall Sheng Thao (OUST) campaign website states. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/13546661

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9467 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
"Also facing a recall in November is the progressive district attorney for Alameda County, which includes Oakland.

Pamela Price's policies have been blamed for emboldening criminals and prioritizing their needs over those of crime victims."

A little difficult to have much empathy about the problems there, they voted her and the DA in over their progressive idealism and future utopia, so they have to deal with the repercussions...

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
You must defeat Sheng Thao to stand a chance.

Posts: 2707 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
All the blacks in Oakland must have turned conservative if they ran an Asian to be mayor.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20075 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
All the blacks in Oakland must have turned conservative if they ran an Asian to be mayor.

Oakland uses "ranked choice voting." It's obscure and completely illogical like most of that city.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4253 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

Ranked-choice voting.
If your municipality is considering it, DON'T. Unless there's a candidate who will overwhelmingly and convincingly win, ranked-choice voting will produce a mediocre winner that will likely be woefully under qualified and overwhelmed for the position.
While the mayor has some sway and some discretionary budget control, the Oakland City Council is a much bigger issue given their willful obstructionism to good-governance and poor accountability to city government incompetence by city managers and functionaries.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
She(ng) must be a truly monumental pile of dogshit to be “progressive” up for recall in a place like Oakland.

Posts: 3218 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^More like what she hasn't done.

Oakland continues to spiral-downward into chaos, anarchy and lawlessness due to inaction and excuse making. The mayor is an easy target for the people, especially the low-information voter. The reality is the citizen's voting record and the acceptance of mediocrity when it comes to basic governance and civil services allows this to happen. Certain parts of the county are known for clean streets, low-crime, really good places to eat, recreation areas, big gardens...the people vote for such; Oakland citizenry aren't so smart.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
They voted for her, they should live with their consequences.

Same for the city council.

Let them live in the shit they built.

Posts: 13312 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My, my, what have we here...

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I saw the report on the local news this morning.

Should be interesting as to why the FBI is investigating.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3648 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn’t Oakland PD already under federal oversight due to some rather serious issues ? I’d be shocked the government corruption is limited to just one section of government employees...

Posts: 4972 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should be interesting as to why the FBI is investigating.

Ironic that a corrupt government organization is investigating another corrupt government organization.

Posts: 28690 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Wasn’t Oakland PD already under federal oversight due to some rather serious issues ? I’d be shocked the government corruption is limited to just one section of government employees...

OPD has been under a consent decree for over two decades.

There was a former city administrator who called her drug dealing nephew when she found out about a raid on his location.

It’s almost impossible to open a new business in a reasonable amount of time, especially a restaurant, due to planning and code enforcement and the city’s inability to get anything done, provide, guidance, or meet their own deadlines.

Posts: 4331 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been a busy week in Oakland. My management wants to have a team meeting at our Oakland office in July. Umm, no thanks! I would run around Lake Merritt on the days I went to the office pre-Covid. I think I'd rather sell bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers in Kabul than head to Oakland for the day.

Junteenth shooting at Lake Merritt

Multiple people have been injured following a shooting at Juneteenth celebrations in Oakland, California, with police describing the incident as a possible 'mass casualty event'.

At least four people were taken to hospital with gunshot injuries, after the incident at Lake Merritt on Wednesday night, shortly before 9pm.

Violence erupted after a largely peaceful Juneteenth celebration that attracted around 5,000 people near the lake earlier in the evening.

Oakland Fire Department spokesperson Michael Hunt said the number of people shot or injured could have grown since he was last updated, he advised at 10.24 pm, CBS News reports.

Police and fire officers were alerted at around 9pm after reported gunshots at Grand and Euclid Avenues, where a large crowd was found to have gathered at a sideshow event, which had not been sanctioned by public officials, police said.

P229

Posts: 3952 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
While the mayor has some sway and some discretionary budget control, the Oakland City Council is a much bigger issue given their willful obstructionism to good-governance and poor accountability to city government incompetence by city managers and functionaries.

I worked in Alameda for several years and had to go through Oakland. Even had my car broke down at night one block away from International. One of the first times I was working, it was heavy commute traffic, I see there's a street I can cut across over several blocks to get to a parallel highway 13. Turned out to be a residential street and in the afternoon, the street was crawling with people like it was Mardi Gras and traffic was equally slow. If I wasn't used to going through Hunters Point in San Francisco and Filmore District in the 70s, I wouldn't have known how to look like I was a local.

I don't think their politicians have been willfullly obstructing anything; that requires some intelligence. I say they're incompetent and stupid.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20075 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:

Oakland PD was under a consent decree for almost twenty years.

OPD Chief LaRonne Armstrong (who grew up in OPD and was actually a decent chief) was about to get them off the consent decree because OPD had met every requirement.

Sheng Thao, whose major campaign contributor was the law firm "monitoring" OPD on the consent decree (i.e. sucking government funds) fired Chief Armstrong.

Sheng Thao took her sweet time (over a year) and finally appointed a chief from Texas who had been run out Lubbock, TX PD after screwing up (he was notable for being their "first black chief" so I guess there is that).

I have a feeling that the FBI investigation likely has something to do with all of that (firing the guy that would cut money going to the dirty lawyers that gave you money).

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4253 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Other than being a commie, an incompetent city mayor, she's a scumbag. She's dirty. Looks like the old "waste management" line of corruption.

From what I understand, Waste Solutions took the recycling contract away from Waste Management a few years ago, with the city council approving the new contract. Mayor Thao was on the council at the time. Here is some other info; https://oaklandside.org/2020/0...tigation-in-oakland/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17192 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post