SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    would Ask this old house and This old house be better if....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

would Ask this old house and This old house be better if.... Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I’m all for women in the work force, but I think it’s funny how they shoe horn some random chick into the show to prove a woman can use a nail gun.

My wife: Women can do absolutely anything a man can do, and I for one am glad that people are starting to see that...

Me: Ok, great.

Wife: Where are you going? I need you to take out the trash and change that overhead light bulb, it's too tall for me to reach.

Me: ....

I do enjoy the older shows that teach you the how, versus the newer shows that dramatize the relationship between the hosts more than the how to and how much did that cost. Agree that with all of them, telling us the cost would be great.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I watch those shows on occasion not because I would ever do what they do. It's more about 2 things (conceptual, not pragmatic):

1) it's something new for me. And I'm amazed by some of the things they can do, that they know how to do and some of the foresight built into the way they do things, and some of the tool inventions to help get things done the right way.

2) if I ever have to do some time of work to my house or something that they cover, I have some sense of the right way to do it, cost no object. That puts me in a better position when trying to hire a contractor.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13088 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Never in my life have I cut a rafter. Never had the reason to. I'm sure we have some builders here on the board that have. Maybe this should have be posted as a question, like who here have cut a rafter or rafters. Surely you wouldn't go out and buy a jig to cut them if you only had one to cut.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this "net Zero " house had me shaking my head,

buy a $250,000 house , put another $300,000 in too it .

Why ? are they gonna flip it and get $700,000 .00 for it ?

I am guessing not on that shitty lot
but what do I know

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post