SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone use a VPN Private Internet Service?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use a VPN Private Internet Service? Login/Join 
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
I have used Anonymizer Universal for over 10 years. It was created by Philip Zimmerman, the fellow who created Pretty Good Privacy encryption. It costs $80 per year and has updates.
Unlimited bandwidth and connection speed, and zero logging. No records of any of your online activity.

Prior to using Anonymizer, I used JAP. It was truly the best VPN in the world until the German government started requiring backdoors. JAP did not notify its users and, because of its lack of disclosure, absolutely ruined its reputation. They created a workaround to thwart the German gov't but no one would ever trust them again.

Be aware, that if you use a VPN to access the dark web, there is no protection to you for this activity. All governments, everywhere, will monitor your activity, no matter how convoluted your server connections might be. Anti-virus, anti-rootkit, and anti-keylogger software is not going to protect you from government implants into your computer.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
To follow up on tatertodd's post, here is the direct link to the VPN comparison spreadsheet:

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-section/

quote:

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Unlocator would work to get around Comcast's location detection and allow him to watch Philadelphia games while away from the Philadelphia area.

https://unlocator.com/?_ga=2.1...681664672.1511732110

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
What kinds of speeds are you seeing on average through the various VPN providers ?

Posts: 17892 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VPN. Private Internet Access.
Device. iPad mini2
Speedtest.net
Without VPN. Ping 39 ms. Down 81.9. Up 11.7
With VPN (auto select for loacation CaNada). Ping 40 ms D 60.6 U 11.2

With VPN results will vary widely with country choice. The above test was just a a couple tests so It will just give an idea.

Note I’m located in Ohio and my cable provider is Spectrum.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I went to thatoneprivacysite.net and downloaded their current VPN matrix

the site allows you to screen only one criteria at a time, but I want to filter on multiple criteria at once...

there is no one best provider - it depends on what your personal criteria are - some may be more or less important

this is going to take a bit more research than I thought

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53192 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about VPN services for some upcoming travel, and am interested in what people wound up doing and how it worked out for them.

Posts: 15032 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
Nordvpn here

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post