SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fighter Aircraft ID?, Seen in Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fighter Aircraft ID?, Seen in Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming. Login/Join 
posted
Today my wife and I were on FS 24, which is a gravel, rock and dirt road which goes from Hwy 16 (scenic route to Yellowstone) to Battlepark TH and horsecamp adjacent to the CloudPeak Wilderness area. FS 24 is 24 miles one way and back out which takes about an hour to hour and a half to traverse as top speed possible is maybe 15mph at best. Coming back out we heard a loud jet engine noise, and about a second later, a gray fighter went overhead at a low height above us. A second or so later another fighter flew overhead but slightly higher than the first and at a bank. Wings were delta shaped with and tail was slightly separated from the wing but we only saw both for a second as they passed over. Checking the ANG of Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, and Colorado, the Colorado ANG flies the F-16, and the other are military airlift wings, primarily C-130. They were definitely close to the ground at the point they flew over and the road was about 8500' with high peaks all around. Several large thunderstorms were forming off to the east but somewhat close. None of the locals we encountered , working cow camps, hauling hay in recalled ever seeing jets this low before? Thoughts, ideas, etc. appreciated.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Might very well have been some aircraft that were involved in exercises at the Powder River Training Complex whose airspace encompasses much of a number of states (Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota). Its one of, if not, the largest USAF training area. They could have been transiting back to their home base. ≥500' above terrain is not uncommon. Smile

I've seen numerous fighter aircraft around here beyond the B-1B bombers stationed at Ellsworth.

https://www.ellsworth.af.mil/P...s/AFD-140421-027.pdf
https://www.ellsworth.af.mil/H...er-Training-Complex/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wings were delta shaped with and tail was slightly separated from the wing

What does this mean exactly? Were there horizontal stabilizers? One or two vertical stabs?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16368 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

What does this mean exactly? Were there horizontal stabilizers? One or two vertical stabs?

F-117?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
quote:

F-117?

Very likely, but it's not the only delta wing fighter.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16368 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
It was Aliens.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
although the 117 is officially retired, a few still fly

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sorry unable to give a better description? We were traversing a one car wide very rocky road and at the time of occurence the road was going through dense lodgepole pines on either side, so at most saw for 1/2 second, more a flash picture, while glancing through the windshield, but defintely lots of noise! Was not exactly an airshow type field of view. First impression was F-18 look, but only maybe, of the banked fighter, as that fleeting! Now I have learned about the Powder River Taining Complex, so have more info than before. See B-1's quite regular over the house, landing and takeoff pattern from Ellsworth, but so far nothing like today.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Could it have been an F4 Phantom?, some are used for drones for missile training, might still use them for dog fight training. They are pretty loud, and Smokey too.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Could it have been F-35s?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
At a bare minimum details such as how many engines and whether the jet has one or two vertical stabilizers (or a V tail) would be needed to even begin to narrow down the list of possibilities. I doubt it was a true delta-winged jet (ie F-106 Delta Dart) but more likely a hybrid delta or swept wing design.

I'd suggest going online and searching pictures of the A-10, AV-8, F-15, F-16, F-18, F-22, F-35, and F-117 and seeing if any of these match your flash memory of the jet. It's likely the jet is one of these...but if it is not then we can start running down the list of jet trainers, older jets, or even some of the foreign fighters that can be seen flying in the U.S.

Although it hasn't happened often I've had a pair of F-16s scream through a canyon I fly fish sometimes...the roar tends to shut the fishing action down for awhile and while I get mildly irritated I have to remind myself that when I was flying I never missed an opportunity to buzz somebody or something and if I had access to a jet fighter I'd probably do the same thing. If I've got to miss out on fishing at least I got a private little air show in it's place. Cool

Let us know what type plane you determine it was.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The following are longshots, but if you really did see a delta-wing aircraft, it could be that they were of foreign-origin.

The RAF has sent Eurofighters to Red Flag. Not sure if they make it all the way to Wyoming, but if so, you're very lucky to have seen one in the US. The Eurofighter Typhoon is a true delta wing and one of the few of that design still in service (other than some aging Mirages and Israeli kfirs, some of the later which are US Navy/contractor flown). The Luftwaffe also has a presence in Holman AFB in New Mexico, though I don't know if they fly typhoons out of Holman.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

F-117?

Not any more.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Probably an F-22 engaged in a ACM exercise

Posts: 13814 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Hill AFB in Ogden, UT has F35s. Some are in Idaho right now too. It's possible that's what you saw.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Out here in southeastern Virginia, there is a private company that flies old foreign fighters so the USAF can practice against them out over the Atlantic. They have a number of older Israeli Kfir fighters that sound like what you saw.

They also fly some older Swedish Drakken fighters.

And they fly older Hawker Hunters.

Private Air Forces are big business in the US and there are a great many of them that the USAF contracts with to play the bad guys.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://theaviationgeekclub.co...uperiority-fighters/

F15? Depending on viewing angle, main wing could appear delta-like.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thoughts, ideas, etc. appreciated

Have you perused the inter-webs images to try and find something similar? That’d be my first step, barring having pics.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15598 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If you look at a VFR ‘sectional’ chart of the area, it would likely depict a ‘VR training route’ over the location you saw the jet(s).

The route itself may be 10 miles wide, possible ends in a ‘restricted area’. The floor may be 500’(or less) above the ground.

Back in the day, an EA-6B ‘Prowler’, up on the power at 200’ would get your attention.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There’s a military training route that guns right through that area. You can look at an aviation chart and find IR 473. I would bet the aircraft you saw were flying that route. That doesn’t account for the low altitude, but perhaps it answers the question of why were they they there.

Posts: 758 | Registered: March 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post