SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boris Johnson quits Tory cabinet – Theresa May’s leadership totters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boris Johnson quits Tory cabinet – Theresa May’s leadership totters Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
...she failed to deliver Brexit

Which was exactly her intent.

Yes, she accomplished her goal.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

But... in the process she destroyed the Tory or Conservative Party. Sure, she may not have intended to destroy her own party, but she did.
Her "leadership" into a no-brexit Brexit "deal" with the EU simply destroyed the Conservative Party.

The Tories should be the Brexit Party. They should have embraced Brexit, full stop. Instead, May wanted some wishy-washy half measure and threw it all away.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
And, she is gone!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/...leadership-election/

THE END OF MAY Theresa May RESIGNS and finally admits defeat after Brexit shambles insisting ‘I’ve done my best’

Good news and good riddance.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well, yeah, but she was hoping to be able to stay in office too. Wink

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"...Well, you know what I mean. She's gone, and we couldn't do nothing about it. ..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43878 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Much as the establishment Republican party in the US is the party of business and Democrats are supposed to be the party of labor, in the UK, the Tories are the party of business (and, well Labour is the party of labor.) A LOT of businesses, especially the big ones, DON'T want Brexit. So saying that the Tories should be the party of Brexit is a not really right. In point of fact none of the major parties in the UK, have a history that would make then natural champions of Brexit. They can be seen by the Brexiteers forming their own party.

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
quote:

But... in the process she destroyed the Tory or Conservative Party. Sure, she may not have intended to destroy her own party, but she did.
Her "leadership" into a no-brexit Brexit "deal" with the EU simply destroyed the Conservative Party.

The Tories should be the Brexit Party. They should have embraced Brexit, full stop. Instead, May wanted some wishy-washy half measure and threw it all away.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Maybe the people of Great Britain can hold another referendum, vote more forcefully this time, and their government will comply.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Maybe the people of Great Britain can hold another referendum, vote more forcefully this time, and their government will comply.

Another referendum would be superfluous. The UK will be out of the EU by November. The good results of the Brexit Party in the EU election make that nearly certain

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
‘I’ve done my best’

Yor besht? Lozshers always wine about their besht....

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
quote:

Unintended consequences.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
It could very well go the other way.

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
‘I’ve done my best’

Yor besht? Lozshers always wine about their besht....

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post