SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need some all-purpose rope. Advice sought.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need some all-purpose rope. Advice sought. Login/Join 
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted
I’m considering unleashing my inner Paul Bunyan and felling some relatively small, dead trees on the edges of my property. (4 to 5 inch diameters… some are 20 foot high.)

I’m planning to tie off these trees when I cut them, to avoid the possibility of the tree falling across some fencing. Plenty of other, larger live trees near each dead tree that I will use as supports.

Question for the SFers: what type of rope should I be looking at? Natural? Poly? Climbing?

What diameter or gauge would be the better “all purpose” rope? Is a 50 foot length sufficient?

All suggestions welcome.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Following as I have 1 or 2 I've been thinking about taking down, but in my case it's keeping them off the house/neighbor

We did it with a tall pine at my dad's years ago, but don't recall what rope we used. Tied it off to the tree next to it, then cut about 5ft sections off the bottom & lowered it piece by piece.
Harrowing, but effective.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15344 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a rope come along that I’ve used at work. Designed for what you’re doing. It comes with 100’ of rope.I’ll see if google can find it.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1129 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Maasdam...id=1689363395&sr=8-3

Not sure if the above works, but Amazon has the rope come along with 50 feet of rope for $79..

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1129 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
5/8” 3 strand nylon. 50’ is probably enough. 5/8” because it’s easier to hold on to and knots are easier to undo than with thinner rope. 3 strand because it’s easy to splice. Nylon because it’s a good price vs performance value.

Posts: 10971 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Everbilt
3/8 in. x 100 ft. Assorted Colors Polypropylene Diamond Braid Rope
$5.98

I used it, it's plenty long for any job. For throwing, I tie a weighted object to one end to put it over a branch if I need to take down individual branches and want to lower them slowly.

Did I mention, it's only $6?
Big Grin

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ev...Rope-14156/202048173

This would be more expensive... but last longer.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ev...hite-73272/206094359

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24136 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Someone needs to mention Atwood Rope.

https://atwoodrope.com/collections/5-8
Made in USA.

Smile

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
^^^
As good as Atwood's paracord is, I'd definitely give their 5/8" rope a shot @ $18 for 50 feet.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The problem with doing that is the tree, constrained that way, may not do what you expect it to do.

4-6 in. diameter trees, twenty feet high, really shouldn't be all that challenging--if you know what you're about with a chain saw. If you do the cut properly, forming a proper hinge, most times it'll go where you want it to go.

There are, of course, exceptions, such as:

Obviously that last trunk wasn't going to be inclined to go where they wanted it to go, which was left of where that guy in the white shirt was standing, no matter how well they cut the hinge.

Note where they have that rope tied to the tree.

Here it is coming down:

Note a couple things here: 1. Look at the pitch on that rope. The three guys hauling on it were a long ways away. 2. Look at where the guy cutting the tree is looking as the tree started to hinge over. He's ready to get the hell outta there in case it doesn't do what they planned and expected (hoped?) it would do.

Cutting live wood can be tricky. I've more than once had it not do what I'd planned and expected it to do.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
For something like that I would use lower end 5/8" Arborist Bull rope. 1/2" would likely work also in your case. Always get much longer rope than you think you need when working on trees. It leave more options open in many cases.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what you are doing it really matters not. But the cheapest answer that is easy to work with is 5/8" poly and 100' (or more depends on where you can anchor). You need some way to tension it FYI.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11006 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You have plenty of good suggestions here, but I want to take this opportunity to suggest my favorite company for all cordage, Atwood Rope Mfg. The forum has no relationship with Atwood and I do not receive compensation of any kind from them. I simply believe in their products. Made in the USA.

Right now, they have a 15% off promo code: SUMMER23

Free shipping on orders over 99.00.

Posts: 107633 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You have plenty of good suggestions here, but I want to take this opportunity to suggest my favorite company for all cordage, Atwood Rope Mfg. The forum has no relationship with Atwood and I do not receive compensation of any kind from them. I simply believe in their products. Made in the USA.

Right now, they have a 15% off promo code: SUMMER23

Free shipping on orders over 99.00.

50ft of 5/8" black, for $20, isn't a bad deal

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15344 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Damn, good deals. If the free shipping wasn’t for over $99 I’d be ordering from Atwood right now.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24136 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Go to your favorite hardware, chainsaw dealer etc. Get a good 1/2" or better yet 5/8" natural rope. Get it longer than you need. At least 50 ft. It will last you a lifetime. And having in your rig could really help someone out or even safe their or your life.
Also get some heat shrink tubing that will fit your rope size. Seal up the ends with it. It will last for years, decades if you do not abuse it. Stuff like this is an investment, not a expense.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The breaking strength for that 50 foot 5/8" Attwood for $20 is 3,000 pounds. They have an 5/8" Arborist rope whose breaking strength is 8,000 pounds. The breaking strength of 5/8" 3 strand nylon is over 11,000 pounds.

Posts: 10971 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
better yet 5/8" natural rope.

Nobody should at this point use natural rope for anything other than decoration.
For the OP the breaking strength of this is not relevant. The trees he is discussing weight at best less than 200lb. Poly is better then nylon for this application as you actually want less stretch. Sure double braided legitimate arbor rope is way better but this is a minor tree project and sounds like a one time project.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11006 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
better yet 5/8" natural rope.

Nobody should at this point use natural rope for anything other than decoration.
For the OP the breaking strength of this is not relevant. The trees he is discussing weight at best less than 200lb. Poly is better then nylon for this application as you actually want less stretch. Sure double braided legitimate arbor rope is way better but this is a minor tree project and sounds like a one time project.

Maybe I should of said real natural braided rope. It has been used by ranchers and homesteaders for 150 years. I guess that is not enough for you. I use mine for a lot of different tasks.

I am old fashioned and am good with that. My opinion is a valid and yours jon. Just different.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/oa1ez7yL_T4

I have to agree with Andy on this one.

If you don't do it on a weekly basis, it can be an expensive and or painful learning experience.

And
I have a whole bag full of
"I told you so's"

( It's only July)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54658 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s kinda pricey, but I think the best rope made is Amsteel.
Lineman

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post