SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who do we like for computer keyboards?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who do we like for computer keyboards? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I'm looking for a standard Dvorak layout keyboard- something quiet. I don't mind paying a bit more for a good keyboard. No split layouts or ergonomic this or that- just a high quality, quiet keyboard.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109045 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I've liked Logitech the past several years. I'm using one of their K750s. Wireless, battery operated with a little solar panel on the corner to keep it charged. I did have one go bad (wouldn't turn on, batteries not user replaceable), but it was after many years of use.

Go to an office store or somewhere they are out on display and try them though. If you're near ATL, don't they have a Fry's? I seem to remember seeing one from the highway a while back.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3350 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Logitech K800 is a standard layout keyboard with the added benefit of motion activated illumination. I can confirm that it's quiet, the battery lasts a long time on a single charge and the illumination is helpful in dimly lit rooms.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/lb976yo

Posts: 205 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I've always like the tactil feel of the Kensington keyboards. And I've never had one fail on me. I've worn the lettering off some of the keys after a couple of years, but I've never had a failure of the keyboard electrically or mechanically.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Logitech is the Glock of computer mice and keyboards, you can't go wrong with one of them like these:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/...eyboard-k360?crid=27

https://www.logitech.com/en-us...ce-wireless-keyboard

Posts: 34536 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Dvorak, huh! Have you always used this layout?

Posts: 5083 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a K800 & a couple K360s. All QWERTY
K360 is great for <$20. Not completely quiet, but no click/clack. More of a slight wooosh.
K800 is much nicer, I don't think it's any quieter (haven't tried side by side).

Logitech's wireless is the only one I'll use, as it's the only one I've found that freaking works 100%. Most wireless Mouse/keyboards don't work in BIOS or until windows starts - Logitechs does.

Also, 1 receiver for mouse & keyboard. Performance Mouse MX is the only one I'll use now.

Posts: 3325 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for a native Dvorak or will you be using a keyboard overlay to cover the QWERTY layout?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the H P one that came with the old X P machine years back.
I have several ,The dell is the next one on the
H P windows 10.
Two others thrown in the closet,one fancy split thing ,what a waste of money to me.

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Since Dvorak isn't a very popular layout with the general public, dedicated keyboards tend to be a bit pricey.
One solution is to change the keyboard layout settings in software, then just apply Dvorak keycap stickers, which are available online for a few bucks. This lets you go with pretty much any keyboard you feel comfortable with.

Conversely, many of the better mechanical keyboards have removable keycaps, so you can pull them off and reconfigure it to your liking.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I had to google it.

Interesting, Sigforum has learned me my new thing for the day.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3900 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used a Filco mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX switches for years. They are not cheap, but the quality is hard to beat.

Filco Mechanical Keyboards

You can choose the variety of switch that works best for the way that you type:

An Introduction to Cherry MX Switches

I have a keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches.

Posts: 2271 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have owned Matias mechanical keyboards for the Mac, and they are a good product, made in Canada. They did offer a true Dvorak keyboard (no OS fooling around or drivers), which was apparently discontinued in March 2017. It had dome switches, so should have been quiet. It could also be switched to QWERTY with an onboard switch.
http://matias.ca/dvorak/

It also appears they are coming out with a new model, the Dvorak Pro keyboard, to begin shipping next month. Again, no OS settings or software drivers needed. This model does have the Matias "quiet click" mechanical switches. I have never tried that model switch, as I prefer the "clicky" ones. It might not suit your idea of quiet. Their keyboards are a very good quality.

Their MSRP list prices are generally discounted at major resellers like Amazon or B&H Photo.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dvorak

Sure just make it impossible.

this one has good switches and is native Dvorak.

https://matias.store/collectio.../dvorak-pro-keyboard

(seems henryaz beat me by just a bit)

Posts: 8178 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Wow, 150 bucks. Looks very nice, though.

Posts: 109045 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Dvorak, looks pretty slim pickings out there in a non-ergo split design.

https://www.amazon.com/Dvorak-...ords=dvorak+keyboard

https://matias.store/collectio.../dvorak-pro-keyboard

I have the Logitech K800 wireless (qwerty). Appears the Logitech site does not even have a dvorak board.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Logitech is the Glock of computer mice and keyboards

And Matias is the SIG / HK of computer keyboards.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post