SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SIG SAUER MPX (Update: Exclusive Non-NFA version P7)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 137
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG SAUER MPX (Update: Exclusive Non-NFA version P7) Login/Join 
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shackelford:
LDD, awesome write up.

One question, though...

The "monolithic" rail that's one-piece to the upper only sticks out from the upper about 3".

The arrow in the below photo points to the end of the receiver rail. The last 1" of rail is from the handguard.

Let's say you want a "briefcase gun" 4.5" bbl with the short handguard. You add the 4.5" bbl and the short handguard adds about 1" to the existing upper rail.

So you're done with your business meeting, and now you want to go to the range and would like a longer barrel and handguard. You pop the 4.5" bbl off, and add a 8" bbl. You also add a 8" thread-on suppressor. Well, can't have a long bbl and a short handguard, so you take off the shorty handguard and add the long 12" handguard (handguard is 12" long, but the rail on top is only about 9" because you already have 3" of rail from the receiver) so that about 4" of your suppressor is covered up.

So you've basically gone from a "K" configuration to an "SD" configuration using the same receiver and four different parts.

If you look in the 7th picture, behind the bbl is the rail. That's how much rail you are obligated to have. Any additional rail is as a result of adding a longer handguard.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
A great write up, thank you! One question though, the magwell seems huge, and the mags, well, proportional. Is there a reason for that? Maybe it's just the lighting?

The magwell is flared I've seen more obtrusive flaring on some HK pistols ("Jet Funnel").

The magazines aren't that big or blocky but they are polymer.

Compare a G17 magazine to a P226 magazine. Then take that analogy and apply it to an MP5 magazine.

Polymer is going to have to be thicker than sheet metal to maintain the same strength, particularly a clear polymer.

They are fatter than an MP5 magazine, but not obnoxiously chunky like UMP magazines.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LDD,

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I'm still a bit sad that they didn't make a domestic version of the Famae SAF. Alas, it looks like a nice bit of kit. I'm kind of surprised that the QD sling sockets on aluminum lowers aren't just screw together steel parts on both sides of the receiver. I'm no designer or engineer, but it seems like an easy fix to me.

Posts: 9941 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the very detailed write up.
quote:
The MPX will first be released as a 9mm . . .

. . . 12” + ~4” moderator (for 16+ non NFA OAL bbl length).
This is what I was hoping for, and to me makes more sense than a 6.5" barrel, with a permanently attached 9.5" device that is currently shown on the website. It appears I will need to start saving up for one.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:

This is what I was hoping for, and to me makes more sense than a 6.5" barrel, with a permanently attached 9.5" device that is currently shown on the website. It appears I will need to start saving up for one.

The intent behind the MPXc is actually quite novel.

The gun would start out as an 8" bbl with an 8" brake.

It would be title 1 (non-NFA) in that configuration.

But, for an additional $200 (+$200 NFA stamp), SIG would sell you a sleeve that screwed on to the end of the brake, turning the brake into a suppressor. The sleeve would be the serialized part.

Being able to sell one model to both NFA legal and NFA restricted states has a lot of efficiency benefits.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:

The intent behind the MPXc is actually quite novel.

The gun would start out as an 8" bbl with an 8" brake.

It would be title 1 (non-NFA) in that configuration.

But, for an additional $200 (+$200 NFA stamp), SIG would sell you a sleeve that screwed on to the end of the brake, turning the brake into a suppressor. The sleeve would be the serialized part.

Being able to sell one model to both NFA legal and NFA restricted states has a lot of efficiency benefits.
I agree it's a great idea for those that want the option to easily/efficiently add a silencer option. However, for those of us not interested in getting involved with NFA firearms (or those unfortunate enough to live where the they don't have the choice), the 12" barrel idea seems to make more sense.

Sig definitely benefits from the efficiency of the 8" + 8" idea, but for the customer it's only a benefit if the customer is considering going down the NFA road.

Regardless, if it proves to be reliable in the 12+4" configuration, I could be spending the money to get one, as I've wanted a 9mm carbine for a while. I've been putting off searching for a Beretta Storm in hopes of getting something better, and this looks like it may fit the bill.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Thanks LDD. Great info!!!

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes!

But unfortunately... Frown
this fine piece will not (legally) be available for about 99% of civilian/private gun owners over here.

So I will have to remain with my "brick-in-the-box" HK USC (as long as we still have them legally over here...).

Anyway, what a fantastic report! Thanks a lot.

Posts: 717 | Location: South Germany | Registered: February 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you; great report on a fine weapon. I only wish Sig came out with it in a more potent round, either a .45 or developed a round that was more powerful than a standard sidearm round, as even the U.S.Army has conceeded that the 9mm is not hard hitting enough for a sidearm. Has there been any thought of a harder hitting round for this in the future like the .45acp, or even something like a .30 carbine round? Thank you again for the fine work

Posts: 710 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Utah, get me two!

Excellent write up. Thank you for sharing that with us.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30282 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LDD a question for those of us who will go down the NFA road.
How easy is it to add the stock to the pistol versions or to the SB15 version ?

Posts: 633 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
A great write up, thank you! One question though, the magwell seems huge, and the mags, well, proportional. Is there a reason for that? Maybe it's just the lighting?

The magwell is flared but not I've seen more obtrusive flaring on some HK pistols ("Jet Funnel").

The magazines aren't that big or blocky but they are polymer.

Compare a G17 magazine to a P226 magazine. Then take that analogy and apply it to an MP5 magazine.

Polymer is going to have to be thicker than sheet metal to maintain the same strength, particularly a clear polymer.

They are fatter than an MP5 magazine, but not obnoxiously chunky like UMP magazines.

Thanks for explaining that LDD. I can see it now. Big Grin

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KML:
LDD a question for those of us who will go down the NFA road.
How easy is it to add the stock to the pistol versions or to the SB15 version ?

Stocks attach via pictinny rail at the end of the receiver.

If you can insstall a riser, or backup iron sight, flashlight mount, etc, you'll be able to install a stock/pistol brace on the MPX.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I love my AR SBR 9MM, but if the MPX delivers I'll be buying one.

Probably a pistol with SB, then SBR it. Time to save my pennies!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
As always, excellent report. Thanks for point out the mono rail. I was a little confused during the first read and going from pistol to rifle.

Did you see any examples of the 12" brl with 4" FH?

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great write up LDD.

I have a question regarding the handguard. How does the handguard attatch to the weapon and is it secure with no play when attatched?

Posts: 162 | Location: WA State | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
Wow, great write up.

The MPX and conversion kits look like they'll money vampires for me. I'll take one of everything, especially .357 Sig.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally by Blackwater: Did you see any examples of the 12" brl with 4" FH?

Did not see any examples of this model.

quote:
Originally by tpd312: I have a question regarding the handguard. How does the handguard attatch to the weapon and is it secure with no play when attatched?

All of the examples I saw were quite secure, but I never got a chance to take the handguard off so I can't accurately describe how it attaches. We only saw the guns with hand handguards off once and I was standing at a bad angle to see the locking mechanism.

posted Hide Post
LDD I'm sorry if I missed it but any idea on MSRP?

Posts: 633 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KML:
LDD I'm sorry if I missed it but any idea on MSRP?
I see MSRP of $1999 listed for SGMPX-9-P (6.5" pistol variant) and $2199 for a 16" rifle model, but it's hard to tell what exactly you are getting from the older photos.

So I see them selling for $1600-1800 probably.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post