SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does electric code require new houses to have a surge protector?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does electric code require new houses to have a surge protector? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
There has been a lot of discussion in the neighborhood where I own a house in Florida, in the villages, about all the lightning and one person whose house got struck They lost some appliances. It had been suggested that people install whole house surge protectors.

I found out that our electric company, Duke Energy, Will install one at the meter and charges $10 a month for basically an insurance plan on appliances. However, some people have posted that our houses should already have them as they are new builds and that it is required by code. I did look up some articles that say it is required, but maybe I’m confusing something .

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
There has been a lot of discussion in the neighborhood where I own a house in Florida, in the villages, about all the lightning and one person whose house got struck They lost some appliances. It had been suggested that people install whole house surge protectors.

I found out that our electric company, Duke Energy, Will install one at the meter and charges $10 a month for basically an insurance plan on appliances. However, some people have posted that our houses should already have them as they are new builds and that it is required by code. I did look up some articles that say it is required, but maybe I’m confusing something .

In most places GFCI's are required in the kitchen and bathrooms, and probably utility rooms. Haven't heard of surge protectors being required. The whole house one on the meter sounds fishy considering it's a warranty, and warranties like this are usually money makers that rarely pay out.

I get solicitations from the gas company for an "indoor gas line warranty" which I ignore.

Posts: 4983 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
2020 national electric code requires whole house surge protection. Unfortunately, it's not that simple and there can be a lag between NEC publishing and your state adopiting (i.e. your state could stay on old NEC for several years).

BTW, whole house surge protection is different than GFCI.
quote:
$10/month would be a huge waste of money. Mine had a 5-year warranty. In 5 years, you'd be paying $600 for a device that costs ~$200 and takes less than 15 minutes to install.

My house was built in 2016 and didn't have one so I hired an electrician to retrofit one last summer. Actually, several dozen of us in our neighborhood hired it done on same day so got a good deal at $50 for install.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23714 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Both my home and my parents' home were built in mid-2020, and neither has a whole house surge protector.

Edit: Ah, looks like Arkansas didn't adopt the 2020 NEC until 7/31/2022.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
You need to check your local code requirements. If Whole House Surge Protection has been req'd by the NEC since 2020, I'd be wondering how the home passed the final inspection and get a CO - Certificate of Occupancy?

Sounds like another call to The Villages Warranty Dept. is in order!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9446 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
2020 national electric code requires whole house surge protection. Unfortunately, it's not that simple and there can be a lag between NEC publishing and your state adopiting (i.e. your state could stay on old NEC for several years).

BTW, whole house surge protection is different than GFCI.
quote:
$10/month would be a huge waste of money. Mine had a 5-year warranty. In 5 years, you'd be paying $600 for a device that costs ~$200 and takes less than 15 minutes to install.

My house was built in 2016 and didn't have one so I hired an electrician to retrofit one last summer. Actually, several dozen of us in our neighborhood hired it done on same day so got a good deal at $50 for install.

So the $10 covers up to 20K (one time maximum) of damage due to surge. So it's sort of insurance. Right now they usually charge $60 to install the device, but it is free this month. Plus the $10 can be canceled at any time.

Sooo... I can let them install it and then cancel the fee a month later. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
If Whole House Surge Protection has been req'd by the NEC since 2020, how did the home pass the final inspection and get a CO - Certificate of Occupancy?

Florida didn't adopt the 2020 NEC until December 31, 2023.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Sooo, when was the CO issued?

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9446 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Interesting. Both my home and my parents' home were built in mid-2020, and neither has a whole house surge protector.
Like I wrote, there can be a lag between NEC publication and individual states adopting. Actually, there can be a lag between any standard's publication date and a specific state adopting.

When I lived in Alaska, their regulator for oil & gas was 3 versions behind on adopting oil & gas code for an electronic device. It became physically impossible to comply with Alaska as you could no longer buy electronic devices that obsolete. Everybody had to file for a exception to use a modern device.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23714 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
You need to check your local code requirements. If Whole House Surge Protection has been req'd by the NEC since 2020, I'd be wondering how the home passed the final inspection and get a CO - Certificate of Occupancy?

Sounds like another call to The Villages Warranty Dept. is in order!

I'm starting to wonder if it's already in the meter somehow. Maybe they put it as part of new meter installs and they arent' telling us that so they can sell the $10/month plan.

These go to eleven.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

He stated in the other thread that his new Villages home was purchased in September 2023. So it predates Florida's adoption of the new 2020 NEC by several months.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Yeah, but if it was new construction, you 'could' be purchasing prior to completion, hence my question.

Live Free or Die!

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd just get one of these, easy to install and well worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6374 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Like I wrote, there can be a lag between NEC publication and individual states adopting. Actually, there can be a lag between any standard's publication date and a specific state adopting.

When I lived in Alaska, their regulator for oil & gas was 3 versions behind on adopting oil & gas code for an electronic device. It became physically impossible to comply with Alaska as you could no longer buy electronic devices that obsolete. Everybody had to file for a exception to use a modern device.

Florida did adopt the NEC in 2020. I emailed our energy company to see what the deal is.

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

He stated in the other thread that his new Villages home was purchased in September 2023. So it predates Florida's adoption of the new 2020 NEC by several months.

Is that true? ChatGPT says that Florida adopted it in 2020.

ETA: WOW, ChatGPT admits it's mistake...

ME: Has florida adopted the national electric code from 2020?

ChatGPT
Yes, Florida has adopted the National Electric Code (NEC) from 2020. The adoption of the 2020 NEC was part of the 7th Edition (2020) Florida Building Code, which went into effect on December 31, 2020. This means that electrical installations in Florida must comply with the standards and regulations set forth in the 2020 NEC.

ME: When did Florida adopt the code

ChatGPT
Florida adopted the 2020 National Electric Code (NEC) as part of the 7th Edition (2020) Florida Building Code, which went into effect on December 31, 2020.

ME: Hmm some people say that it wasn't adopted in Florida until 2023 or 2024

ChatGPT
You are correct. Florida initially postponed the adoption of the 2020 National Electric Code (NEC). The 2020 NEC was adopted as part of the 8th Edition (2023) Florida Building Code, which went into effect on December 31, 2023. Thus, the 2020 NEC became mandatory in Florida starting from that date.

These go to eleven.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
https://up.codes/viewer/florida/nfpa-70-2020

quote:
Florida Electrical Code 2020

Effective dates
December 31, 2023 - Present

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
So the $10 covers up to 20K (one time maximum) of damage due to surge. So it's sort of insurance. Right now they usually charge $60 to install the device, but it is free this month. Plus the $10 can be canceled at any time.

Sooo... I can let them install it and then cancel the fee a month later. Big Grin
Most whole house surge devices that I checked out last summer came with a manufacturer warranty better than that.

The $200 Eaton one that my friendly neighborhood electrician recommended was $75k and lifetime warranty. It was out of stock so I bought a $100 Square D that was 5-year and $25k warranty. I was in a hurry because my neighborhood was having multiple time per week massive surge problems taking out dozens of ACs, refrigerators, etc. because our dickbag electric utility hadn't performed tree trimming or substation maintenance since before COVID. We filed hundreds of public utility commission complaints, convinced the local TV news station come out for interviews, called elected officials, etc. Yes, it's the same utiity who earlier this month was on national news due to losing power for 85% of its customers for indirect hit of the cat 1 hurricane Beryl.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I can install one at the breaker box when I get down there in September. For now I'll let the electric company put one on the meter.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
I just had one installed to protect my HVAC system by my service company for $260 so furnace and AC units are protected and insured. No fees from any utility company.

Posts: 1000 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The NEC is not law until the AHJ adopts it and makes it law. Until then, it is simply good suggestions. As of 2024, many states are using the NFPA 70 2017 edition, while more are using the 2020 edition. Furthermore, many states adopt the NEC with amendments. For example, here in Utah, the state has amended the NEC adoption to exclude the requirement for AFCI protection in new construction, single or duplex, residential housing.

A big misconception is that a surge protector is there to arrest lightning strikes. While it may help for distant strikes, there is no device that you are going to put on your house that will arrest a close lightning strike. The purpose of a SPD is to arrest transient voltages mostly originating from inductive motor loads and utility switching. Eighty percent of these transient voltages originate within your own home. They cause havoc on switching power supplies and other electronics, like those present in everything from your refrigerator to your LED light bulbs.

The SPD you add out by your AC condenser does as much to protect your home from the AC compressor as it does to protect the AC electronics from incoming surges. Since MOVs (metal oxide varistors) --the actual mechanism that a SPD uses to clamp voltage, are consumable, by placing one on your entire house, you take a large load off of the Type 4 SPD in each of your devices. Therefore, the whole-house unit will lengthen the life of every SPD in every device you own. It will also protect you from all the inductive motors from your neighbor's houses.

A Type 1 or Type 2 SPD on every service is a good idea. I have one at my main disconnect, as well as one in every sub-panel on the property. Renting one seems like a bad deal, since you can buy one for $80, and they already come with a warranty that covers your electronics.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8285 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post