SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A House Obituary: something I've never seen before (added pix of demolition of my childhood home)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A House Obituary: something I've never seen before (added pix of demolition of my childhood home) Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
I was just sent this link
https://hollisfuneralhome.fune...y.html#tribute-start
which provides a funeral home obituary for a 170 year old landmark home that fell into disrepair under the ownership of what has been termed "NY City exploiters." Gutted, abandoned, and with delinquent taxes, ultimately the City of Syracuse's Land Bank took control. Renovation costs were astronomical so no one bought it to take on the challenge. And finally deterioration got to the point where such was no longer viable. So it is being demolished. Frown

My grandparents owned the home from 1936 to 1969. And yes, the baby and small tyke in the pictures is me from over 70 years ago having lived there for the first 3 years of my life. Big Grin

Trying to find out who created it and inserted pictures from a Syracuse Historian's Instagram page that we shared the old family pictures with. Smile Quite an unusual tribute.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Happier days there. Smile Here with my aunt and grandmother.

...and yup: always with a hat! lolololololololol

The house served the large extended family as was much more common in those days.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be cool to go back in time and see it all again as an adult? Sometimes nostalgia hurts a bit. My childhood home is gone too.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29722 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Wouldn't it be cool to go back in time and see it all again as an adult? Sometimes nostalgia hurts a bit. My childhood home is gone too.

Absolutely!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Just in case it has not been said, Sorry for your Loss. May you hold on to the memories forever.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I feel ya.

I grew up on a small farm in central lower peninsula Michigan. Dad sold the place when he retired in 1975.

The next time I made it to Michigan I drove by the place. The only thing left was the house. All of the outbuildings and the barn had been torn down and they were farming right up to the kitchen window. Progress, I know, but it saddened me. I'd much rather live with the memories than the reality.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15263 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I know the feeling. I grew up in a wonderful old house in downtown Flint, Michigan. I have warm memories of my mother’s home cooking, and my brother and me playing in the house and yard while my dad listened to the Tiger games on his transistor radio. After the folks were gone I had to sell it due to the neighborhood going down hill. It’s still standing in the middle of the ghetto. But the trellises and morning glories are gone, as well as the rose garden and oak trees. Sad, but time marches on.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's sad.

I was just in Detroit and there were many large houses (2 story, 5,000 sq feet +) like that all in huge disrepair and falling down. Some condemned, a few fixed up, but it was clearly now a bad neighborhood (just West of Detroit Yacht Club). Yet I went 15 minutes North to St. Clair shores and was in a small neighborhood and the houses were MUCH smaller, much smaller lots, but really well kept, and a nice neighborhood......you wonder how neighborhoods with big houses get like that.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. I do hope the good memories will stay strong for you in long run.
Keep in mind, what made it great were the family, not the house. Smile

I don't understand how anyone can let such a fine looking house get so bad Frown

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It's sad.

I was just in Detroit and there were many large houses (2 story, 5,000 sq feet +) like that all in huge disrepair and falling down. Some condemned, a few fixed up, but it was clearly now a bad neighborhood (just West of Detroit Yacht Club). Yet I went 15 minutes North to St. Clair shores and was in a small neighborhood and the houses were MUCH smaller, much smaller lots, but really well kept, and a nice neighborhood......you wonder how neighborhoods with big houses get like that.....

Are you talking about West Village, Gold Coast, what neighborhood?

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
sad to see a stately home destroyed, esp from neglect,

my grandparents managed a farm until my Grandfather passed in a boating accident,

Grandma moved to a home they owned down the road (after a renovation by my father/grandfather) and the farm was sold,

later sold again, and the new owner was told the 1835 vintage, updated in the 1880's and again in the 20's , large farmhouse was full of termites,

he never checked himself, just tore it down,

truck loads of heart pine flooring, banisters etc pushed in a pile and destroyed,

20 yrs prior a small rail owned country store was sold by the piece,
as in folks came in and bought the building, dismantled it and sold the wood,

they could have made a fortune if the owner did the same for that old farmhouse (and it had the original kitchen/butlers quarters next to it,)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10433 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They had an obit for a house in Iowa City , long ago.
it was about half that size.

It had been in the same family from 1829 to 1959
it sat empty for ten years.
the obit had 8 paragraphs or so about what took place there and another 8 paragraphs about the property .

It started out with 40 acres and ended up with 1,5 acres. it had 5 out buildings ,early on and one new building prior to its sale to someone who wanted to totally restore it .

restoration fell through during the recession.

I will have to see if its still there when I get back that away .

I am just going to guess there is a four story apt. building there now

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The interior, although gutted, still had the marble floors and the huge sliding doors that separated the front parlor from the expansive living room. Here is a shot of one of the pair taken to the Land Bank warehouse.

The double front doors, which measured 88" x 29", were also salvaged although one has a crack in the lower right corner of the beveled glass and the right side unit's bottom edge has some dry rot.

Haven't heard if any of the 4 fireplaces (two were marble) survived the gutting.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I grew up in a frame Victorian home in our small/medium size city. Thankfully it is still alive and kicking, but I'm always sad to see the "wrong" sorts of things done to it. Like the side folding carriage house doors replaced with an overhead garage door. Or the slate roof replaced with asphalt roofing.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
quote:
It's sad.

Just West of the Detroit Yacht Club (it's on that island where the zoo was located) off of Grand BLVD and the streets around jefferson ave there to highway 3. I don't know the official name of the neighborhood, but on mapquest looks like West Village and Island view if that makes sense.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Well it's been demolished. Frown

That cupola up on the top of the house was a great place to view the northside of Syracuse. Enjoyed the heck out of it as a youngin'.

Here's a video on facebook showing it being done:
https://www.facebook.com/Syrac...os/3153965554656703/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Another...

The big industrial looking building in the background was home to Mayflower Moving in decades past. Currently it houses Brady Systems, an industrial and retail scale distributor.

In the Instagram thread (https://www.instagram.com/p/CEHNynqjAhe/?igshid=848uzchs2sod) about this house started by a Syracuse Historian, I mentioned remembering a large two story barn out in back that I explored as a kid. My 95 yo parents confirmed that it was torn down sometime in the late '70s - very early '80s by the then owner.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
It's sad.

Just West of the Detroit Yacht Club (it's on that island where the zoo was located) off of Grand BLVD and the streets around jefferson ave there to highway 3. I don't know the official name of the neighborhood, but on mapquest looks like West Village and Island view if that makes sense.

Maybe this would be some help:https://detroitography.com/2013/08/19/lovelands-detroit-neighborhoods-map/

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8119 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
quote:
quote:
It's sad.

Maybe this would be some help:https://detroitography.com/2013/08/19/lovelands-detroit-neighborhoods-map/

Thanks. The neighborhoods I'm talking about is Island view and Kettering. Very nice, big, old houses that were once a very impressive house, like Bald1's was when maintained.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
OMG. There's thread "drift" and then there's thread "hijacking!"

Razz Razz Razz Razz Roll Eyes Big Grin

... but I get it! Smile Wink

USN (RET), COTEP #192