SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My house is built...Closed today March 5th. Video slideshow of the construction on page 8.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My house is built...Closed today March 5th. Video slideshow of the construction on page 8. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Not much to report today. We did go in but the sheetrock guys were doing the ceiling texturing so we stayed out of their way. About all that was new was that and the deck railing is being done. I think it's looking pretty sharp. But you can't see the wires in the picture at all. It's got the stainless horizontal wires instead of rails.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well it's about damn time you got back from that cruise! Nice update--looks like they are making great progress. What fun for you. Love that railing. Thanks for all the pics.

Posts: 117 | Registered: March 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

Am I the only one confused by the plumbing outside the framing?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:

No, not on an external load bearing wall. I have the same thing in my house, and I constructed a raceway or sofet to cover it.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is the basement. It will be framed in when we decide to finish the basement.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Is there a reason he couldn't run that up in the floor joists? Because of the length of the run?

Seems they should have dropped a sewage collection point there so you're not running plumbing that far.

I'd consider discussing it with your GC. The look you're going to have when you do finish the basement will be odd to the eye.

House looks great btw!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a reason he couldn't run that up in the floor joists? Because of the length of the run?

Seems they should have dropped a sewage collection point there so you're not running plumbing that far.

I'd consider discussing it with your GC. The look you're going to have when you do finish the basement will be odd to the eye.

House looks great btw!

Yeah, actually you make a good point and there is an explanation. We moved the kitchen to what was supposed to be the family room. The drain you see is coming from the kitchen sink. The septic system is in the front of the house. Our builder actually mentioned this when we went over the plans. The septic was already in when we bought the lot.

These go to eleven.

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
You can make the wall further into the room and just have some built in shelving that uses that extra space behind the wall... Cover up the pipes and have lots of storage space :-)

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
You can make the wall further into the room and just have some built in shelving that uses that extra space behind the wall... Cover up the pipes and have lots of storage space :-)

That's basically the plan. We are putting a bar on that wall. The only other issue is the water heater will be on that wall also. We will have to box it into a cabinet or something. But there is still plenty of room to do what we want. To the right of all that is plumbing for future bathroom. We will be putting a sink for the bar outside the bathroom since plumbing is all there. This stuff is all after the house is built. The builder wanted too much cash to do the basement.

These go to eleven.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Are you heating the garage? Master bedroom right above the garage will be cold. Propane heater to warm the garage or install an additional electric radiator in the master bedroom.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Are you heating the garage? Master bedroom right above the garage will be cold. Propane heater to warm the garage or install an additional electric radiator in the master bedroom.

Garage ceiling will likely be insulated.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:

Garage ceiling will likely be insulated.

Yup the garage is insulated, walls and ceiling. I won’t beat the garage. The propane heat in the bedroom is the cheapest option really. We both like it very cold to sleep so that helps.

These go to eleven.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

the clean out in the basement pipe should be loads of fun, never seen anything like that.

Posts: 5595 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I don’t really know about the clean out. This is the drain from the kitchen sink. I’m not sure how it should be. But there are clean outs upstream and downstream of the one in the photo.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: frayedends,

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
I second the running double Cat-6 and RG-6 cable, but looks like I am too late for that. Wink

If there are any walls not drywalled yet, get some of that expanding foam and seal all holes in the framing where wires and pipes pass through. Helps seal drafts.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's basically the plan. We are putting a bar on that wall. The only other issue is the water heater will be on that wall also. We will have to box it into a cabinet or something. But there is still plenty of room to do what we want. To the right of all that is plumbing for future bathroom. We will be putting a sink for the bar outside the bathroom since plumbing is all there. This stuff is all after the house is built. The builder wanted too much cash to do the basement.
If you have gas, just go with a tankless water heater, here we mount them on the outside of the house and the plumbing goes right through the wall and ties in, I'm in FL, so not sure if you can do that in snow country.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
I second the running double Cat-6 and RG-6 cable, but looks like I am too late for that. Wink

If there are any walls not drywalled yet, get some of that expanding foam and seal all holes in the framing where wires and pipes pass through. Helps seal drafts.

All drywall is up. We opted not to spend on the Cat 6 cable. We do have coax running to locations that are good for routers and televisions. But I’ve only had 1 cable location in use for years now and everything else is wireless. I just couldn’t justify paying for cat outlets when wireless is so good now.

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

If you have gas, just go with a tankless water heater, here we mount them on the outside of the house and the plumbing goes right through the wall and ties in, I'm in FL, so not sure if you can do that in snow country.

Water heater will be tankless on the wall where the pipes are in the picture. Couldn’t go outside here. Pipes would freeze.

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Some updated pics from today. Not a lot to show inside as they have heaters and fans going to dry the mud. I'm guessing a lot will be happening Monday. We are supposed to have appliances delivered to them on on the 15th, along with light fixtures etc.

The exterior...

Deck is basically done...

View off the deck (the real reason we bought this lot)...

View out the kitchen slider...

Kitchen

Kitchen and eat-in area

This is the view coming in from the garage. Basically you are in the mudroom, can see into the bathroom on the left and the eat in area of the kitchen straight ahead where the heater is.

A couple more views of that drain pipe, from the kitchen sink down to the outflow pipe to septic. Maybe the clean outs make more sense now? I think the questionable one in the post above isn't a clean-out so much as just a plug at the end of that pipe. You can also see where the basement is plumbed for future bath in the last pics.

XLT: I think the drain pipe placement makes more sense now that you can see the foundation. The foundation wasn't visible in the other picture. I'd have to frame around the drain pipe regardless because of the concrete. It was hard to see that in the other picture because it's a walkout basement and I didn't capture the foundation.

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Stopped by today and not much to add. The drywall was all sanded and the subfloor swept. The realtor posted the paint colors on the walls so I guess paint is coming next.

Oh and we have garage doors.

These go to eleven.