SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for the tax gurus
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the tax gurus Login/Join 
posted
Is it possible to include an explanation when you efile? I manage an income producing property (farm) for my family and only a small portion is mine, but all the receipts/paperwork have my name on them so it looks like I own the whole thing. Got audited many years ago and successfully explained everything to the IRS. Don’t know if anyone reads it, but have included a one page explanation defining who owns what portion of the property with my paper tax return and have never been audited again about it. Is there any way to efile and include a copy of that same note, or is that not an option?

Posts: 1182 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I suspect that if you file a paper return, you certainly could attach an explanation.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it possible to include an explanation when you efile?

My tax guy does this all the time when he e-files our stuff.

What he does is add "Statements" which wind up on a separate pages in a separate section "Federal Statements", with each page having a heading that notes what line of which form that particular statement applies to. As an example:

Statement 1
Schedule XYZ, Line ABC

<<pertinent data/info>>

next page:
Statement 2
Schedule EFG, Line JKL

<<pertinent data/info>>

If your software supports 'statements' you might explore doing something similar.

Posts: 15036 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that helps. I’ll see if turbotax supports statements when I start working on the return.

Posts: 1182 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post