SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody have an electric car?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody have an electric car? Login/Join 
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted
I'm in the market for a new car and electric or plug in hybrid seem to tick a lot of boxes for me. Does anyone have one and maybe some insight?

Posts: 8178 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
We have a '17 volt.

Current tank of gas has lasted 3800 miles.
We have used approximately 35 gallons with 5700 miles driven.
With next fillup it will be 45ish with over 9000mi

Electric bill is up around $20 a month and she averages around 900 electric miles a month.

Torque is great, no real bitches at all.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

You said TORQUE.... Big Grin Just don't get an electric motorcycle! Eek

Posts: 11892 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
August, 1963 Popular Mechanics Magazine cover, a scooter powered by an automotive starter and 12-volt auto battery.

A friend of my father's designed and built it, I got to ride it once. Nearly impossible to balance! Eek

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9367 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Neighbor has a Tesla, let me drive it once. Awesome experience. More quiet than an electric golf cart, yet you are doing 85mph.
Wife works with two people who have Volts. She said they love them.
We price shopped, but still a little pricey for us.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Resale value is awful on volts, so getting a 2 year old car can be very worth it.

After supplier discount and tax rebate ours was around 22k

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. With all the hype NO ONE talks mileage or fuel costs.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
Resale value is awful on volts

How come?

Posts: 7403 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
All electrics seem that way, battery fears I guess but it's really a non issue.

Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
How about A/C battery drain in hot climates?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3809 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my brother will be purchasing his second prius , this year.

and two of the sewing ladies are on their second prius cars.

he and his wife are in their 70's, and they say on 12 and 15 hour trips, its not as comfortable as a full size actual car, but 4 hour trips are fine

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:

How come?
quote:
Last week I drove the 2016 Chevrolet Volt for the first time.

It’s nice. Really nice.

With ~40% more electric range, a more efficient hybrid-mode, and a center console that no longer feels like a capacitive touch experiment gone wrong, the redesign is a true upgrade on every front. What drivers will enjoy most is the significant bump in peppiness.

The future for the Volt looks good. The future for current Volt owners doesn’t.

I own a 2012 Volt. It cost me just over $55k before incentives to pick up one of the first units. Nearly four years later the resale value is $16k. Which means it depreciated at 27% per year, or 24% if I used the after-incentive number (which I contend is the correct way to consider it). Average depreciation for cars is 14-15%.

Fortunately for me, I don’t care. I will be driving my Volt into the ground – how quickly the value drops to scrap metal prices is irrelevant for me. But many other Volt owners do care.

The low resale values of plug-in vehicles is covered nicely in a few articles. And a few smart dealerships and individuals are scooping up some great values.

Are resale values so low because of battery replacement concerns?

Many people are pointing to the risk about battery life and the cost to replace the battery. I don’t buy that as the main driver, for three reasons:

Reason 1: many of these vehicle have substantial warranties left, so a purchaser isn’t absorbing much risk. The standard warranty for most of North America is 8-year/100,000 mile. Many lucky Volt owners in California actually have a better warranty of 10-year/150,000 mile. Most of the units I’m seeing have around 40,000 miles, so you have another 60,000-110,000 miles of battery warranty.

Reason 2: battery degradation simply doesn’t matter as much for a Volt. As we’re going to show in a different post, the Volt does some interesting things with degradation, so most owners don’t experience any degradation for quite a while (more on this later – subscribe to be flagged when we publish those results). Regardless, even when you do start to see degradation, it doesn’t matter as much as it does on a BEV. If my 40 mile (64km) real-world range became 35 miles, I would simply use a bit more gas. Meh.

Reason 3: The Model S disagrees. Unlike many other plug-ins, the Model S has impressively high resale value. If you used the post-incentive price as your starting point, the Model S depreciation rate is between 13-14% – slightly better than conventional cars and much better than most plug-ins. So if plug-in buyers are so concerned about battery replacement costs, then why are they very ok with buying a used Tesla with a much higher battery replacement cost?
So what is the main factor causing the low resale factor?

Consider yourself on the market for a new flat screen TV. Consider two scenarios:
Scenario 1

Your neighbor just got a job in Japan and posted on facebook their 1 year old TV – great shape, 1080P, the right size for you, gen1 smart-TV integration.

You do some quick browsing and find that the new version of that model is still 1080P, same MSRP, same smart-TV features.

How much are you willing to pay for the used TV, which has basically all the same features as a new one?
Scenario 2

Same neighbor and used TV, but the new model is 4K, bigger screen for the same MSRP, and gen2 smart-TV integration. Heck it even feeds your cats and tutors your kids.

How much are you willing to pay for the used TV?

For most of my life, the introduction of new vehicle models has been closer to Scenario 1. New models are prettier, maybe a couple more horsepower, maybe more airbags, or a better catalytic converter. The biggest additions were Bluetooth and a USB port.

For the first time in my life, Scenario 2 is becoming more common for vehicles. Each new model is a dramatic increase in what you get. And in cases like the Volt, you get a lot more for a lower MSRP. This results in a downward pressure on resale value of previous generation Volts.
The Catch-22 for Electric Vehicles.

Each new plug-in model is becoming dramatically better than the last.

That is the good news. And the bad news.

The articles about low resale values are just starting to trickle in. Brace yourself because the wave is coming. So what will that mean?

Lower resale values will make it slightly harder for fleets to make a Total-Cost-of-Ownership argument for purchasing EVs. This impact will be modest though. After 6 years of doing EV Suitability Assessments for fleets I can assure you most fleets already assume a near-zero salvage value for all their vehicles.

The most significant impact will likely be felt by people who wish to lease. Leasing companies will have to assume a lower end-of-lease value which will drive up monthly lease rates. That may move some families that are considering leasing an EV to a non-EV option. That will be the unfortunate cost of progress.
Why does the Tesla buck the trend?

Three things make the Tesla unique compared to the rest: luxury category, higher range, and OTAs.

I am going to, with limited reasoning, assume the luxury category is irrelevant. Depreciation for the luxury segment is equal to or higher in conventional vehicles. I can’t see why it would be different in EVs.

When the range of a Volt goes from 35 miles to 53 miles in the new model – that matters. A Model S increasing its range from 250+ miles to 270+ doesn’t feel all that impactful. Diminishing returns on increased range could be at play.

Most notably, Tesla does an Over-The-Air update of its vehicles. Many Tesla owners consider OTA days better than Christmas. New features are updated and some owners have remarked that they feel like they just got a new vehicle with the seat already formed to their body – best of both worlds. The result is a smaller difference between the new vehicles and the used vehicles. Whether deliberate or not, I believe this is a genius move by Tesla to increase the retained value of their vehicles.
An Opportunity?

This is causing an interesting dynamic. The major improvements in the new Volt are causing significant downward pressure on used Volt pricing. The new generation Prius was just unveiled in Las Vegas, and while it has a rumoured 18% bump in fuel efficiency, most have characterized it as an evolutionary improvement and not nearly as significant an upgrade as the Volt. Since the new generation doesn’t have as many improvements, it will likely have less downward pressure on the used model pricing. Looking at a popular used car website below is the first result I got:

http://www.fleetcarma.com/chev...lt-low-resale-value/

This was big news a couple years ago.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14146 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
How about A/C battery drain in hot climates?

Heater drain in cold is worse.
Volt is rated for 53 miles electric.
We get 42-60 depending on speed, temp, accessories.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Yep, my daily driver is a Leaf. Had it 3 years. Ever since I got it, I haven't spent more than $100 a month on gasoline. I've got other vehicles in the garage, 2 and 4 wheels, they are all sport/enthusiast models. So when I'm burning gas it's for fun and leisure, basically gas use is weekend only. I leased the Leaf initially but just bought it when the lease ended, for $6700, and also purchased a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty from Nissan. It's been great for me, relatively maintenance free and I've never had to spend a dime to power it. Nobody pays the car any attention. I put panels on the house shortly after I got the car. Car saves me about a grand a year in fuel costs. Panels save me a few thousand per year. So I'm saving money and have insulated myself from kwh and oil barrel price swings for the most part.

Be warned. Idiots will label you a liberal due to the car. Many still don't understand that many of us drive electric to save money not to be a fucking eco-warrior. kwh is much cheaper than gas and if you can get a kwh grid plan that has free nights, you can make the car fuel free.
The Chevy Bolt and Nissan Leaf are the two affordable options on the market. Nissan has a new Leaf that will be out at the end of the year. It will have 200+ mile range.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12931 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I was building one out of a Geo Metro.
But I ran out of free time.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39871 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Be warned. Idiots will label you a liberal due to the car. Many still don't understand that many of us drive electric to save money not to be a fucking eco-warrior.

Yup, we used to catch shit all the time with the Prius. It's all about fuel costs with us. The volt doesn't catch the same level of hate.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Do you folks that own them have any spreadsheets where you've run the numbers?

Prefontaine doesn't spend a dime on power for his Leaf because he has solar panels. How much did those cost? I'm curious how that system is set up as well, since most people would charge their electric vehicles overnight.

The Volt is interesting. My rough calculation says it costs $.04 a mile to run it electric not counting amortizing the battery. It's about $.06 a mile on gas. I have to wonder what the mileage on gas would be if it didn't have to haul around the battery. If you assume the battery in the Volt runs $6,000 and will last 120,000 miles, it costs 50% more to run the Volt on electric than gas.

Again, these are rough calculations and I'm not knocking electrics or hybrids, but everytime I've looked at them, the numbers haven't worked out for me especially when I factor in resale.

Posts: 11612 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:

How come?

no joke. I just looked up the Volt on the local car classifieds. all the new ones are in the $30k to $40k range, with the two used ones (2014 models) in the $16k range.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Curious questions re electric cars.

How much is the tax rebate; how much are the overall gov't subsidies (ie, how much "savings" is truly due to improved economics and how much savings is due to having someone else pay for your consumption? How much of that taxpayer subsidy goes to save planet earth, v how much goes to fund crony capitalism?

What are the overall environmental benefits considering the pollution due to the mining/manufacturing/recycling/disposal of battery components, the pollutants created in generating the electricity?

Sidenotes. The electricity generated by the Ivanpah solar power plant in the Mojave Desert is very expensive, and the plant had to register as a gross polluter. Also, I live within fifteen miles of the Tesla HQ, and also the Tesla manufacturing facility. One neighbor designs robots for Tesla. I am not unfamiliar with the industry.

I am not saying electric cars are the wrong thing. I merely would like to get honest answers to these questions. It seems all those who provide studies have a vested interest in the success of the industry.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Prefontaine doesn't spend a dime on power for his Leaf because he has solar panels. How much did those cost? I'm curious how that system is set up as well, since most people would charge their electric vehicles overnight.

My solar lease is $99 a month with tax. Kwh bill for May was $24. May, kwh only (no panels) I would have paid double that, around $250. We'll be at a consistent 95-100 degrees shortly, through summer into September. That's when I save the most.

Panels are not some easy thing to calculate on your spreadsheet. Which way does your roof face, azimuth, sq. footage avail for panel installation, geographic area. Does your municipality even allow it, do you have a hoa, do they allow it? There are so many calculations and variables that have to be made. I got lucky. My house faces the perfect direction, pitch of the roof was perfect, lots of sq footage facing the right direction available, so I got a lot of panels. Everything was optimum or ideal which is why I signed the dotted line. The only way to answer your question is to have a solar company come out and do an evaluation. They'll email you the results, and a quote, then you have to run your calculations. arcwelder, on here, was a big help to me. I think his lease is like $50 a month because he is up North and doesn't have the juice requirements we have in the South with the heat and humidity.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12931 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post