SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is dissent welcome in your thread?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is dissent welcome in your thread? Login/Join 
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Of course… after all this is a “forum”.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Seems like lately we have had several threads where it is obvious the poster gets upset at opposing opinion posts.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Is dissent welcome in your thread?"

Sure, as long as the dissenter understands that's what the ignore tool is for. Big Grin

Posts: 625 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
… If I start a thread because I want to share something positive, then heck no. Keep you negative waves to yourself, man. I've done this and apologized for it a few times, so there's that. …
What if what’s positive to another is repugnant to you? Is it just time to clam up?

Posts: 45323 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Absolutely welcome, and nobody is blocked.

ETA: Consider this. I'll not waste one second of my life arguing with somebody I don't like. Just because somebody doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean they don't like or respect you.

Posts: 10725 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Dissent, yes. A-holeism, not so much.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29592 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I’ll have tolerance for most replies. The one reply I have zero tolerance for is Look it up” or Google is your friend”. This is a discussion forum and the idea is to discuss or at the very least share ideas, experiences and/or learn.

If this type of response is placed in front of me, whether I’m the OP or not, I’ll usually ask that person if that’s what they do at parties - do they interject themselves into a conversation, spirited or not, and tell the people to just google it and smother the conversation?

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
I’ll have tolerance for most replies. The one reply I have zero tolerance for is Look it up” or Google is your friend”. This is a discussion forum and the idea is to discuss or at the very least share ideas, experiences and/or learn.

If this type of response is placed in front of me, whether I’m the OP or not, I’ll usually ask that person if that’s what they do at parties - do they interject themselves into a conversation, spirited or not, and tell the people to just google it and smother the conversation?
Yeah, I agree. However, there is dissent. Smile https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/6610042894

Posts: 45323 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
We’ll shit. Now I have to block ensigmatic Big Grin

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
… If I start a thread because I want to share something positive, then heck no. Keep you negative waves to yourself, man. I've done this and apologized for it a few times, so there's that. …
What if what’s positive to another is repugnant to you? Is it just time to clam up?
Hard to say without examples.

By something positive, I'm meaning ChicagoSigMan got his pilot's license, kkina passed his Akido test, you made the band, or my daughter had a great time in NYC.

As an example of where I messed up, bendable started a thread saying that a particular submarine sandwich shop was offering 50% off at some point during COVID. I posted along the lines of even at 50% off they still sucked and Publix subs are better. If the roles were reversed, I wouldn't have been offened, because it's someone's personal experience. On the other hand, I worded my post much too strongly, bendable was really just trying to post something good and positive, I understood why he took offense to my post, so I apologized.

Posts: 10792 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I welcome it. It’s how one learns. It must be civil in construction, but I don’t believe anyone can grow without it.

Posts: 882 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
When I post a thread the following applies:

I expect respondents will have differences in opinion, different experiences to share, different viewpoints. I have learned that although I might expect a thread to go in a specific direction, it may take a sudden unexpected turn. I also expect that there will be some respondents that agree and some that aren't sure.

What I do not welcome is personal attacks or any assertions that I'm trying to stir something up. I've been here long enough that simply won't happen. Granted some are just having a bad day and maybe the thread hit a nerve but discretion is prudent.

In the end when I post a tread, even factual, I expect an active discussion. This is how the America I grew up in works. We all can voice an opinion based on our experience and expertise. Perhaps some will be swayed in their opinion back or forth, but at the end I hope that at the very least the thread is civil and at least 1 person learns something from the interaction.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37906 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post