SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kinda thermals do you like for Winter ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kinda thermals do you like for Winter ? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Columbia Omni Heat. They also have the advantage of having a working fly that many don't for some silly reason.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sierra Trading Post usually has a good supply of thermals cheap, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I do a lot of ice fishing during the winter so I can be out in some pretty brutal temps at least for awhile. Then I go in a nice warm fish house and spend several days and nights on the ice. You need everything from sweat pants a t shirt and slippers to a full blown ice suit with bibs and parka and everything in between. You never know what you're going to run into.

Carhartt base layers are some of my favorites but I really like the Alaskan Hardgear stuff from Duluth Trading. Your going to spend a bit more but it is very good quality and very good performance.

I have some Duluth Trading base layer tops that are not Alaskan Hardgear branded and I don't like them near as much. Search Duluth Trading and click the Alaskan Hardgear tab. Easy enough.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8617 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Cabela's MTP for me I have the lightweight, midweight and a couple pair of the heavyweight.
The weight I wear depends on what I'm doing and the weather. Not as costly as under armour .

The best part of wearing the light and midweight is their is no bulkiness.

Posts: 1970 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I do Smartwool merino top and bottom. Their 250 weight. I have LLBean's too, just as good.

A neck gaiter is another necessity for me. The wind blowing on my neck gets me cold fast. I use a lightweight one that is connected by magnets in the back, so if someone grabs it, it comes off rather than strangling me:

https://theweatherneck.com/

I shit thee not--I'm trying to figure out how to take my fleece pajama pants and get them sewn into my uniform pants as a liner. I hate being cold!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I live in Georgia. We don't need Thermals.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shit thee not--I'm trying to figure out how to take my fleece pajama pants and get them sewn into my uniform pants as a liner. I hate being cold!

Priceless. Bonus if the fleece you sew inside is like dinosaur print or something!

Posts: 480 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:

Negative ghost rider. I work outside on a regular basis and wear them all the time in the winter. Especially if it’s going to be a windy day.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by cmparrish:
I have an LL Bean 2-layer River Drivers shirt that I really like. On cold day at he range, I usually combine that with one of those skin tight athletic shirts and a t-shirt (long or short).
How do you keep the legs warm. My uniform pants are thin as paper. Thermals are a must have for outdoors.

For bottoms I have several random pairs of the skin tight variety I’ve purchased over the years. Nothing special except for this one pair of skin right ones that are fleeced lines. Got those from Lands End. They are by far my favorite.

Posts: 1701 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eltonr:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Carhartt. Keeps you warm and lasts for years.

same here, I work construction so I am out in the am when it is cold and when the temps warm in the pm, they are still comfortable.

Another vote for Carhartt here. 15 degree's and sleeting with a wind chill of 1-5 degree's while up a telephone pole. I was good with Carhartt.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7674 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Duluth.

In fact I bought two pairs today at our local brick n mortar store in OKC.

Posts: 11982 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Omni-heat by Columbia.
https://www.columbia.com/mens-...ionColor=010#start=0

https://www.columbia.com/mens-...ionColor=010#start=1

PayPal me if you're interested, and I'll get you employee pricing and have it shipped to your door. I have a set I've been using for years for snow play. Works great and keeps you dry. I work next door to the corporate HQ employee store and have year-round access. I can order anything from the kiosk inside and have it shipped from there.

In fact, I have to head over there on my break to get the wife some gloves. She lost hers and has been bugging me to go over there today for replacements.

Tony.

Tony, I am interested in taking advantage of your offer on employee pricing for a thermal shirt. PM ok w/ you?

Posts: 4130 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Omni-heat by Columbia.
https://www.columbia.com/mens-...ionColor=010#start=0

https://www.columbia.com/mens-...ionColor=010#start=1

PayPal me if you're interested, and I'll get you employee pricing and have it shipped to your door. I have a set I've been using for years for snow play. Works great and keeps you dry. I work next door to the corporate HQ employee store and have year-round access. I can order anything from the kiosk inside and have it shipped from there.

In fact, I have to head over there on my break to get the wife some gloves. She lost hers and has been bugging me to go over there today for replacements.

Tony.

Tony, I am interested in taking advantage of your offer on employee pricing for a thermal shirt. PM ok w/ you?

I could use a set or two for a duck hunt in January.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8009 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Always hated wearing 'long John's' to stay warm as the added thickness, bunching, not staying put and limiting movement sucked.

Tried a pair of flannel lined cargo pants and they are not only warm, but comfortable. Bass Pro is where I found them.

Was looking around at Meijers and they have these in Wrangler cargo.

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
US military ECWS level III.
Lightweight and warm.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Don't need them where I live, either. Nice to know that good ones exist, though.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post