SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Fluid Film users??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Fluid Film users?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Would like to keep the Expeditions undercarriage rust free as long as possible. It is a southern car so has not seen salt and salt brine yet.
Salt Brine absolutely destroys cars undercarriages.

My reading is you just spray it on everything under the vehicle except the exhaust and you are done. There is a little nozzle for sticking in holes of the frame to help coat inside the frame.

Anybody using this and happy with the results?
Think I would buy by the gallon and use a sprayer hooked to my air compressor instead of the aerosol cans.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
It’s used a lot by Jeep owners, almost always spoken of highly. I haven’t used it yet, but it’s on my amazon wishlist. Not a once and done solution though, it does have to be reapplied every couple of years normally.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1142 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toyota trucks are known for rust problems, especially frames. Fluid Film comes up in threads all the time on tacomaworld forum, almost always in a favorable light. If you go to that forum and look up threads on frame rust, you'll get some good info.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: amals,

Posts: 2713 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Heck. I thought this thread was going to discuss large format, wet plate photography.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9477 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son uses it on his Toyota FJ.

Too soon to say how it works but he likes it.

Posts: 925 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fvyellowbird:
It’s used a lot by Jeep owners, almost always spoken of highly. I haven’t used it yet, but it’s on my amazon wishlist. Not a once and done solution though, it does have to be reapplied every couple of years normally.

I meant spray and walk away per application not a one and done option per se.
I have been reading applications every 6 months. But this is also in heavy snow and salt areas.

————————————————

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I was told to use it liberally on my 63” Kunitz snowblower to prevent stickers by and clogging. I bought 6 cans and it works as stated. Never heard of rustproofing though.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The stuff is GOOD and weird at the same time. I buy cans of it at Lowe's. It's easy to use, BUT, it stinks like heck! After a week it will not smell, but leave your car outside for a while. The stuff is made out of wool and lanolin, if I remember right. But it works. I do my Jeep Wrangler, a known rust bucket, and my GMC pickup, and next summer I'll do the new Honda Pilot. I like the stuff.

Posts: 71 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by provident:
The stuff is GOOD and weird at the same time. I buy cans of it at Lowe's. It's easy to use, BUT, it stinks like heck! After a week it will not smell, but leave your car outside for a while. The stuff is made out of wool and lanolin, if I remember right. But it works. I do my Jeep Wrangler, a known rust bucket, and my GMC pickup, and next summer I'll do the new Honda Pilot. I like the stuff.

How frequently do you apply?
Do you do the aerosol cans or do you have their sprayer?
How much does it take to do a Jeep?
I have an Expedition EL so guessing double what the Jeep takes.

————————————————

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I love the stuff. It smells nice. Seems to last much longer than grease. Grease is a smell I can't stand. I buy the gallon.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Rover owners swear by Waxoyl, but I think it is a more permanent, lower maintenance solution. And, believe me, those old Rovers like to rust.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10362 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In VT wax undercoating is getting popular. $4-500 and car should be set for life.
I’m hearing good things about fluid film. In fact just sprayed it on my new Fisher sander. Just read the MSDS before you spray it using compressed air. Sometimes atomized isn’t good.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1141 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frog in boiling water
posted Hide Post
I’ve used it on a salt spreader chain to keep it from corroding.
It was the only thing that would keep the chain from locking up solid from rust.

Posts: 435 | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use on everything here in Maine on my personal stuff and all the local fire trucks etc. For sure it helps. You will need way more than a gallon for an expedition. If its warm you can spray otherwise you will need to heat it.
It does not last in the areas blasted by water spray so you need to do that yearly. Forget any idea of the spray cans in terms of economics.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11178 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post