SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is it rude to invite yourself to stay at someone's house? OP updated. No further replies needed. :)
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Is it rude to invite yourself to stay at someone's house? OP updated. No further replies needed. :) Login/Join 
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted
It has been recently suggested that I reach out and ask to stay at a friend's house for a weekend.

In my mind, that is rude and presumptuous. In her mind it is no big deal.

Am I that out of touch? What are your thoughts?

edited to add
Clarifications:

1. She = wife
2. She suggested reaching out
3. Would be a weekend get away type situation, no lost apartment or house
4. I have frustrated her with this thread even though it supports my position
5. The friend is not who suggested the stay at the friend's house
6. I feEl calling to ask about hotels in the area is a bit of a troll for an invitation and refuse that too

Thanks, no more replies needed. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ffips,

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Report This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
It’s rude but honestly I run across fewer people with manners that would know that.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
It has been recently suggested that I reach out and ask to stay at a friend's house for a weekend.

It depends how good the friends is / what the situation is. It most cases it's presumptuous, but not all.

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
It depends how good the friends is

This. If you are one of my few true/best friends you don't need to ask, you are welcome.

If not, then yes, its rude.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The thought of doing such a thing would never enter my mind. That anybody would think doing so anything short of rude and presumptuous quite honestly astonishes me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Rude. Next question.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Never invite yourself.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29711 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it rude to invite yourself to stay at someone's house?

yes

Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is. No exceptions.

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
invite yourself? yea that's rude. ask? well, if I hear any friends of mine are coming to town I'll offer.

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
For a true friend, with a real need, there need not be a question. Otherwise, presumptuous == rude == yes.

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Report This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
For a true friend, with a real need, there need not be a question. Otherwise, presumptuous == rude == yes.

This.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Report This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Rude.
That being said what kind of straits are you in? A true friend would take you in a matter what if your circumstances were dire, and expect you to let them know if that were the case. Reach out if you need that friend and their support.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Most likely. Depends on how good the friend and the purpose of the visit. Want to stay and hang out with them, it may be acceptable, assuming you are very good, perhaps life long friends.

Don't know them too well and or just want to crash at their place while you go out and do things, very rude.

I prefer to stay in a hotel even when visiting, I like my own space.

If you have to even hesitate at all to consider asking them then they are not close enough friends to ask.

posted Hide Post
It is rude.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
If you're asking for an opinion here, then you probably already know the answer.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:

Who is suggesting this, and why are they fucking with you?

No, you don't invite yourself over to someone elses house.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Okay, honestly not suprised by the replies. They are in line with mine.

Sometimes the wife and I disagree on these types of things. There have been times in the past when I was out of touch.

Just a sanity check. Thank you all.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Depends on the situation, and how close you are to them.

Asking a loose acquaintance to come crash at their house for the weekend because they live by the beach and you want a vacation? Rude.

Asking your best friend if you can come crash at their house because you had to move out of your apartment by Friday, but your new place won't be ready until Monday? Not rude.

Posts: 32525 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

It isn’t immediately clear if the person suggesting is the friend with the house, that is more like an open invitation. If the person suggesting is not the friend with the house you might consider gifting her a copy of something written by Emily Post.

Depending on the relationship, it might not be unreasonable to get in touch with the friend with the house and ask for hotel recommendations in the area and if they might be around in whatever timeframe and available to come out to dinner. The friend is free to invite or recommend hotels.

$0.02

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post