SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    President Zelenskyy, the answer is no
Page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 56
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

President Zelenskyy, the answer is no Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Air Force contractor, 62, is accused of giving Top Secret information about Russian military capabilities to his Ukrainian girlfriend through dating app

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...iend-dating-app.html

A U.S. Air Force civilian employee working at Offutt Air Force Base was arrested on March 2 for allegedly conspiring to transmit classified national defense info

David Franklin Slater, 63, held a Top Secret security clearance and is accused of willfully and unlawfully sharing 'SECRET' NDI on a foreign dating site

Slater transmitted information from classified briefings on Russia's war against Ukraine to an individual claiming to be a Ukrainian woman on a dating platform

David Franklin Slater, 63, who authorities say retired as an Army lieutenant colonel and was assigned to the U.S. Strategic Command at Offutt Air Force Base, was arrested Saturday on charges of illegally disclosing national defense information and conspiracy.

Posts: 13059 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
What in the hell is going on with Germany right now? Seems like we actually don't have a monopoly here in the US as far as idiots in charge:

This is definitely NOT the Germany I remember of the early 90's that had their shit together tight.

This is the leak I mentioned on the other thread. It's clearly a major security breach which happened because one of the participants joined a WebEx meeting from his cellphone in a Singapore hotel room, where he was attending an airshow. It's now thought that Russian intelligence had the hotels of foreign visitors under blanket surveillance. Good morning OPSEC is all I can say; but then ever since I've come back to Sigforum, my own cellphone screams on the initial login attempt that it can't establish an encrypted connection to the board as usual, which might mean a hacker is trying to get in on or modify it. Eavesdroppers everywhere these days, I guess.

While most of what was discussed in that meeting is actually common knowledge at least among folks who follow defense issues, obviously there is stuff in there which has no business being public. Nothing said is in fact scandalous; while Russia is trying to sell it as "OMG rogue Nazi Luftwaffe generals are plotting a war of aggression against poor me", what they're actually doing is preparing a briefing for defense minister Boris Pistorius on what the Taurus cruise missile can do, and what it would take to enable successful use by Ukraine if the political decision was made to supply it there.

The real explosive issue is that Chancellor Olaf Scholz, who has long opposed delivery, recently argued it couldn't be done because Germany couldn't provide the support the UK and France have for their Storm Shadow/SCALP missiles due to legal and political reasons, implying it would require direct participation of German troops. This was just days after this meeting was intercepted, which suggests there are in fact options to avoid such participation. So naturally everyone who is for delivery - including the conservative opposition, but also Greens and Liberals from Scholz' own government coalition - is now jumping on him for obfuscating on the issue at best, and lying at worst.

The Russians clearly aimed at creating such controversy with the release; of course they might have shot themselves in the foot if the result is that Scholz is forced to change his stance. There is a transcript of the intercept on the net that's however including every uh, uhm, and garbled sentence; interpreters also tend to fail on the typical NATO "Denglish" slang used. It doesn't gain anything when translated to straight English, but I tried to clean it up a little, also omitting a couple minutes of more private talk at the start and end. Some participants may also be mixed up a couple times.

quote:
[...]

Gerhartz: Very good, very good. Well, I wanted us to briefly talk to each other beforehand ... well, not in the sense of who says what, but so we briefly coordinate, and that the two comrades Florstedt and Fenske in particular know how the whole thing emerged. Because when you hear that the Minister of Defense wants to get really deep into Taurus, where the meeting is half an hour from what I saw, so ... we won't be able to get the thing to fly, to put it like that. I don't see any triggering momentum behind it at the moment. So it's not like the Chancellor told him, "Hey, gen up on it again and then let's decide tomorrow." At least I didn't recognize that, but rather that he mer Pistorius again due to this whole discussion, which comes up again and again; and of course it comes up because no one really knows, why is the Chancellor blocking this? Of course the most bizarre rumors arise. I want to name one. Yesterday I got a call from a journalist who is extremely close to the Chancellor. Well, she had heard in Munich that Taurus doesn't work at all.

I just say, okay, who tells you shit like that? I thought she picked up on it politically somehow. Then she says: “Someone in uniform told me.” Of course she doesn’t reveal her source, of course, but of course she jumped on it and wanted to make a mega headline out of it, along the lines of: “Now we finally have it the reason why the Chancellor is not delivering. Because the thing doesn’t work at all.” Of course I talked her out of it, I say total nonsense. We're even running shooting campaigns all the time, the last one wasn't that long ago. Right? But you can see what kind of drivel is always in the room and, above all, what nonsense is being said. So, I just wanted to take a moment to coordinate with you so that this doesn't go in the wrong direction. So first of all my question would be to Florstedt and Fenske. Has anyone ever spoken to you directly, or did General Freuding get in touch with you somehow?

Florstedt: Negative from my side, no, I only heard from Frank.

Fenske: Negative for me too. I only communicated with General Gräfe.

Gerhartz: Ah yes, all clear. And... [inaudible]...

Fenske: I gave him both numbers on Sunday and he said that he would [inaudible].

Gerhartz: Well okay, then maybe that is yet to happen. No, that hasn't happened yet, so what I've seen is that it's half an hour ... and it could well be that I might not be there at all. Rather I may have to go before the budget committee because we still have a small issue with a price increase for the F-35 infrastructure in Büchel; which is super annoying because it's not really a price increase, but BAIUD simply estimated too low, and now the companies have just submitted their offers and they are way above what BAIUD estimated. And now, of course, there is great anger. And I told them now that they have to know that for themselves. Whether I should go with you or whether I should go to the budget committee. In the end, the minister has to decide, because it is almost simultaneous. So it could well be that you are alone then. And I would recommend, well I'm not going to get ... I'm not going to get too much into it ... I'm just going to say, here, these are our two experts. One in the unit, the other in the ZLO and then ... then you have it. And I would recommend, I already sent this to you through Frank, to have a few slides with you, right? Submittals, as they like to call it, so that you can visualize a little bit. Well, you just have to put yourself in his shoes, he had ... well, we showed him at a demo show, there was a Taurus there, it was also in the weapon ... on the carrier next to the Tornado, but for example what it looks like when installed on a Tornado or what a mission planning facility looks like, for example, he has very little idea.

?: Okay. Udo you have ... you have a bunch of slides, right?

Fenske: Yes. Yes, I have them available.

Gerhartz: But on the other hand, don't bombard him with a slide show with 30 slides. Just keep in mind that the meeting is half an hour. I would say make a quick serve, hopefully Freuding will get in touch again. Of course it's also a bit about how it works, what can Taurus do, how is it used? But of course there is still something in the back of his mind ... if we were to make a political decision to support Ukraine, how could the whole thing work out in the end? And I would be really grateful to you if we, well … the challenge, according to the motto: “What’s not easy about it?” But that we don’t just pose a problem, but that we also always give the solution to it.

Right? So when it comes to doing mission planning, for example, I know how the English do it, they do it completely in reachback. They also have a few people on site, they do that, the French don't. So, they also QC the Ukrainians when loading the SCALP, right, because Storm Shadow and SCALPs are relatively similar from a technical point of view. They already told me, yes, in God's name, they would also be watching over the Ukrainians' shoulders while they were loading Taurus. The question would be, how do we solve that? Should we let them do the mission planning and give them MBDA on their hand in a reachback manner, and then bring one of our people to MBDA? Now I would like to ask again, maybe Frank again, how did we always position ourselves, and how we would do it, and then of course we say Fenske, Florstedt, if you both show how you see it from your perspective.

Fenske: I might start with: “What is the most sensitive or critical thing that can happen now?” With the whole discussion, it goes back and forth forever, and I think the two points which are the most sensitive, are, on the one hand, timing, according to the motto, “Now the Chancellor says we'll supply it after all,” and you come from the Bundeswehr: Yes, great, but in eight months we'll be ready to start the first mission. And the second thing is, of course, we can't shorten the time either if there's a mistargeting and the thing drops on a kindergarten and there are civilian casualties. That's why these are the two ... left and right, a border between which you have to weigh. If you break it down like this, one track is the delivery of the missiles. We actually have nothing to do with that, and the important point would then be in the conversation ... I have to point it out again ... without the company we can't do anything, and the aim would then be like with the missiles of IRIS-T, that the first missiles are equipped, converted and delivered relatively quickly. But then rudimentary things have to be done, like another small overhaul, taking down the German insignia, and so on. But that doesn't have to wait until you have twenty, because you could theoretically hand over the first five. So, that would be the first track, the first line, how long can they be delivered? But that is actually completely in the hands of the industry, and the question also arises who pays for it, because it involves cost.

The second question is then the question of the interface: How do you connect it to which weapon system? And that's another thing, which some tinkerer from Ukraine would actually have to do with the company because... right, Mr. Fenske ... we don't have any shares in it when it comes to the integration into Su [Sukhoi], for example, right?

Fenske: I don't think so, although TSG, the manufacturer, says that they can do that with a timeframe of around six months, so either Su [Sukhoi] or F-16.

Gräfe: Exactly, that was something, we don't actually have any shares in handovers, but if the message comes across: "Great, the Chancellor has decided," and then the other message "but it takes time", “six months for the interface alone,” well, then the positive news quickly turns into negative news.

And the third part is the one that could theoretically affect us, namely training. That means, as we once said, that we work in collaboration with the industry in a similar way to IRIS-T - the industry trains how to use the system and we second people who provide tactical support for the whole thing. And then we talked about the thinnest case scenario of three or four months. And that would be the part we do in Germany. And then of course you would now have to think about whether you should rely on the British for both the interface and the training, in order to quickly come to a quick solution with the first missiles, if they look with their know-how of how they got the Storm Shadow on - it can't be that big of a difference - and maybe they'll take part in the operation at the beginning, while the crews are trained by us in the meantime. So that it doesn't take so long. And then there are a few things: Can we supply a database? Can we provide satellite images? Can we supply a planning station? In addition to the pure missiles that we have, everything would have to go through the industry or through IABG.

Gerhartz: Well, we always have to keep in mind that they have aircraft from which they use Storm Shadow, like Taurus. Well, that means the British were there and wired up the planes, so they're not that far off from having the Taurus from those planes ... right? An F-16 we're not talking about right now. They have it on the MiG-23, and that's what it was all about ... I can only say the experience from Patriot - I still remember what timelines our own experts drew up at the beginning. And they mastered the thing in just a few weeks and are now using it to such an extent that our people say: “Oh, wow, we didn't expect that at all!” Well, some of them are currently engaged in warfare more high tech than our good old Luftwaffe. I always keep all of this in mind when it comes to all the timelines that we open up, so that you shouldn't make such a mistake. But now, of course, comrade Fenske, Florstedt, I just want to see and hear your picture from you, now also with a view to a possible delivery to the Ukraine.

Fenske: I would pick up the point about training again. We've already looked at that. If the appropriate personnel come and can be trained in parallel, then we will have around three weeks of industrial training and a training phase, which we, the Luftwaffe, can then do in around four weeks. That means we're well below the twelve weeks - assuming we have appropriately qualified staff, we can do it without interpreters and the like, so there's a few other data there.

We had already spoken to Ms. Friedberger. When it comes to missions afterwards, the recommendation would actually be that at least the first mission support would be provided by us, as the planning is very complex. We need about a year to train our personnel. So to sort of push it to, how do I put it now, ten weeks, with the expectation that they can drive a Formula 1 racing car off-road and also on Formula 1 tracks. So a possible variant would be to provide planning support. Theoretically, you could even do this from Büchel with a secure line to Ukraine, transfer the data file, and then it would be available and you could plan it together.

So, that would be the worst-case scenario, the minimum being the industry supporting the whole thing with a user helpdesk that can provide support with software questions, just like we basically have in Germany.

Gerhartz: One second, I'll butt in there, Mr. Fenske. If one was now politically concerned that this line from Büchel directly to Ukraine is too direct a participation, basically anything can happen in politics, one could then say: Okay, the data file will be made at MBDA and we will send our one, two experts to Schrobenhausen. It's total nonsense, but if you look at it that way, politically it might be something different now, if the data file comes from the industry, it will ... it doesn't come from the unit on our side.

Fenske: Yes. The question will be where does the data come from. Now I'll take a step back. When it comes to the target data, ideally it comes with satellite images because this gives the highest precision, so we have an accuracy of less than three meters. We have to process them in the first set in Büchel. Regardless of this, I think something would be achieved in some way with a data transfer between Büchel and Schrobenhausen. Or, which is of course also possible, you might send the data file to Poland and you have the handover, takeover somewhere in Poland, and someone drives there by car. And I think you have to look into it in detail and there will also be possible solutions.

So, at the moment when we have support, in the worst case scenario I'll even have to commute back and forth by car. It's just that this infringes upon response time, so you don't respond within hours. We have to say that if you want to react very quickly, we are at the point where we are confident that we can actually do the - I'll say, from order to ... well, aircraft airborne within six hours ... whereas we then are ... and we only have precision ... which is unfortunately greater than three meters, which can be enough for an appropriate target. And if I want to have greater precision, so I have to work with satellite images and model the target, then of course the subsequent time is crucial, and I can quickly get to twelve hours. That depends on the target, so I've never looked at it in detail, but I think it will be possible. All you have to say is that we need a data line that can do that.

Gerhartz: And do you think ... well, you always have to build on what else the Ukrainians are doing now. We also know that there are a lot of people with American accents walking around in civilian clothes. You can say that they are able to do this relatively quickly because they all have satellite images. You have to assume that too.

Fenske: Now let's talk about it very briefly, the question will then be: In order to be able to penetrate skillfully, I have to penetrate air defense, which is there in large numbers ... We can do that very well, we assume, because we can of course work at low altitude and have data from IABG and NDK for this. You would definitely have to make these available to them so that I can underfly a 21, so that I can get the most out of planning here and not plan using waypoints like with Storm Shadow, but actually by flying around or below the respective systems.

If I provide that, then there will probably be quicker learning effects and I'll just get back into the area where I eventually get to the number of missiles. So, very quickly, if I'm talking about 50, then 50 missiles will be fired very quickly.

Gerhartz: Yeah, yeah, of course. Of course, it must be clear that this will not change the war. We don't have at all ... we wouldn't give them all away, we don't want to give them up, and not all of ours are the same. I don't have to tell you that. So, you could say 50 in the first tranche, and then if they were to choke us again, for the next 50, and that would be the end of it. Well, that's completely clear.

Well, that would be big politics again, and then we can get back into the swing of things ourselves at that point ... I suspect there could be some momentum behind it, because I know - from my British and French colleagues - that they're pretty much Winchester with their Storm Shadow and SCALPs. And then, of course, they will say, before we deliver the next ones here - and we have already delivered here again - Germany should now make an effort. But, that would be again, you can now imagine, I wanted to say it again clearly ...

Florstedt: I took a pragmatic approach today. I thought about what the unique point compared to the Storm Shadows ... like air defense, obus time, flight altitude, etc. - and then I realized that there are two interesting targets: one is a bridge in the east, and the other is ammo depots into which we can get. The bridge in the east is just difficult to reach, and the pillars are relatively small, and Taurus can image that, and the ammo depots - we can just penetrate those. And if I now take that into account and compare how many Storm Shadows and MALDs were fired, you have a pretty good unique point. I picked out three routes where I would say, is it about the bridge or is it about ammo depots? Is it reachable with the current caps that Red [inaudible] have, and the Patriot?

And then I basically come to the decision – yes, well, it’s doable. The limiting factor is the Su-24, how many of them they have left. That would be in the single digits. And I picked out a few lead points and said, look, basically it's doable, and how do you teach the Ukrainians the TTPs to shoot this thing? I would say the pilot – under a week. And how do you plot it? Mission planning, and that's exactly what it comes down to: what do we actually do now? We have to think about this mission planning and centralized planning. And the mission planning - it's in our unit, the execution takes two weeks, and I think that if you don't focus on the ZV now, it'll go relatively quickly, and it'll be in the unit in three weeks. That being said.

But when I look at a bridge like this, what I wanted to get to is that the CEP of Taurus is not enough to simply target it - that means I need pictures of it, how Taurus can work, and we need the mission data. And I don't know whether we can train the Ukrainians in an adequate time - of course if we're talking in months, [inaudible] - but in an adequate time ... the mission data, what does a bridge pillar look like for Taurus, how do we teach them. That means, for me, from an operational perspective, it is not possible to assess how quickly you can teach Ukrainians this image planning, I would say, and how quickly the integration will take place. But otherwise targets [inaudible], namely the bridge and the ammunition depots, and I generally see scruples about teaching people that very quickly.

Fenske: I would like to quickly add something about the bridge, because we have looked at it intensively. And unfortunately – due to its size – the bridge is like an airfield. That means I may need ten or twenty missiles for this.

Florstedt: I estimated it through, namely where it opens, when you take the pillars.

Fenske: Yes, the pillar, under certain circumstances we might just make a hole in it. And then we'll have egg on our face ... In order to have data-valid statements, we would really have to ...

Florstedt: I didn't want to define the bridge for you at all, I just want to say that was the pragmatic approach, what do they actually want and how quickly can I train them for it? And in the end it becomes clear: What remains is that we have to give them the image-centralized mission planning data. We basically have to give them the Semobi if we have it ourselves. And the daily data, which we have, but we would have to make it available to them somehow. Because when it comes to such small targets, you have to plan them out a little more precisely than just on a satellite picture. When it comes to hardened targets, it's much easier and relatively quick to plan if we exploit the fact that it can fly at a double-digit height.

Gerhartz: You sum it up quite well: We all know that they want to take out the bridge. That's clear, we also know what it means in the end ... then you got, supplying it is so important - not only militarily, strategically important, but also a bit politically, the good island is their linchpin. Now it's not quite so ... quite so fatal, now that they have their land bridge more or less there, but ... and that's why people are scared when the direct link of the armed forces goes to Ukraine. And then the question would always be: Can we basically pull the trick of assigning our people to MBDA, so there's only a direct line between MBDA and Ukraine? Then it's less bad than if the direct line is from our Luftwaffe to them.

Gräfe: I don't think it makes any difference, Ingo. We just have to be careful that we don't formulate in the war criterion right from the start. If we now tell the minister, I'm exaggerating a bit, we'll plan the data and then drive them over from Poland by car so that no one notices - that's a war criterion. We won't be able to implement the whole thing with any kind of involvement from ourselves. So first of all, if it comes from the company, MBDA would first have to agree to whether they would do it. Yes, but then it makes no difference whether we let our people in Büchel plan it or in Schrobenhausen. Involved is involved, and I don't think we'll get over that hurdle.

Now again what we assume as a red line as a basis. I'll just go back to what I meant at the very beginning: Either we have to split the training up, saying we do a fast track and a long track. And the long track – then they are there for four months and learn it completely correctly, with “How do I do it with a bridge”. And in the Fast Track it's all about quick deployment, after two weeks, how do I know what to do with an ammunition depot. Or the other option: We ask whether in this phase, until they themselves are fully trained, we ask the British whether they will take over in this phase. But I think any kind of attempt at an interim solution - imagine that gets leaked to the press! We have our people in Schrobenhausen, or we somehow drive through Poland by car - I don't think either of these are acceptable solutions.

Gerhartz: Of course you can turn it around so that you say, if the political will is there now, then we first have to say: “Well, someone from Ukraine should come here.” And then we have to know political requirement – no more direct involvement in mission planning? Then it must be clear: the training takes a little longer. And the complexity and ultimately the success of the operation naturally decrease, but it is not impossible either. Because it's not like they haven't already gained a certain amount of experience in this, and we can see for ourselves what high-tech stuff we're currently using. And then you would have to see: If that is the requirement - there is no direct participation, we cannot do the mission planning in Büchel and send them over, I could almost imagine that that is a red line for Germany ... well, It just has to be clear - you have to train them a little longer, then it just takes a few months, and you can't do everything with them. But it's not like saying you can't do anything with it. You can then perhaps even assume that they will get a grip on it relatively quickly. Then we just have to make sure that the entire database, the mission data, that they can process it yourself, right? So I mean …

Gräfe: Then I would do it the way Seb just said, doing a quick track and a long track. The point is to achieve a quick effect. And if it's just about the ammunition depots with an initial effect and not the complexity of the bridge, then you could say that you get rid of this junk for a certain price so that you can achieve a quick effect. And I don't see these IABG data as critical, because they are not related to a specific position, they have to explore that themselves. But that would be the generic performance of the system. That would be a point that we have already discussed in the group, which I could certainly imagine handing over. At the moment it's just German Eyes Only.

Gerhartz: That will remain the pivotal point, because basically even with an ammunition depot, because there is no easy plan from those in Bavaria due to the massive number of air defense. That means you will have to go so deeply into it ... with our people, I believe that we will find a way, and it would also be good at the moment when we say "Let's try it" in order to be able to give better political advice. As I said, all we need is the GO and we have to get started. What will fail it for us is that the KSA does not have a clear picture of where all the air defense systems are located.

Gräfe: But the Ukrainians have that, you can assume that they ...

Gerhartz: Exactly. Hopefully they will have that. Because I see that with us - we only show the radar set all the time. But in order for us to have proper planning, we really have to look at where the radar sets are and where the launchers are. The more we slim down, the less precise our plan becomes and the more ... so we have a super tool, which means that when we have the data, we can say relatively precisely if we can implement it. Anything that I eliminate somewhere for reasons of enemy or complexity, or because I don't have enough training yet, always means a reduction in my ability to penetrate.

Gräfe: Yes, yes, of course. But there is no reason now where you say: “This is the show-stopper”, where you say: “You can’t do that.” There are different gradations, depending on where the political red line is, you will do it maybe ... oh, by the way, I really like this short track/long track, too. There are different timelines and different possibilities for complex use, which will become more manageable for Ukraine over time.

Gerhartz: Definitely, because they can do it every day – practice.

So I think that even if I'm not there now, the minister will, is a really cool guy to deal with anyway. So that’s why ... you are the experts. It was just important to me that we just appear sober and don't somehow throw in show-stoppers that are simply ... that are not credible when other nations deliver Storm Shadows and SCALP.

So, I'm not shouting “hooray” either. I mean, we've now handed over three Patriot radars of twelve. There were long faces in air defense. But at the moment they are shooting down the planes and missiles that won't hit us.

Gräfe: You have to say very clearly: the longer you wait to make a decision, the longer it will take to implement it. Either the gradation: first something simple, later something bigger. Or asking the British: “Can you support us at the beginning and take over this planning?” Could accelerate what is in our responsibility. As I said, the interface is not our responsibility at all, the Ukrainians would have to do it themselves with the company.

[...]

Posts: 2452 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nato is growing reckless over Ukraine – and Russia’s German military leak proves it

https://www.theguardian.com/co...ermany-military-leak

The German armed forces are mad. The leaking by Moscow of a 38-minute discussion between the head of the Luftwaffe and senior officers on sending Taurus cruise missiles to Ukraine suggests that Nato’s will not to escalate the current war is weakening. The meeting, reportedly held on an unencrypted line, had all the secrecy of a teenage groupchat. It boosted Vladimir Putin’s claim that this is a war of the west against Russia, with Ukraine as mere proxy.

The west’s justified objective in Ukraine was to help foil Putin’s attempt to topple Kyiv’s elected government. This was achieved in a matter of months, thanks to the Ukrainian army, with western logistical support. At no point did Nato risk that timeworn precursor of so many past European wars, the reckless escalation of a local conflict into a continent-wide one.

But as the conflict in Ukraine has reached predictable stalemate, Nato’s strategy has lost all coherence. This is the moment when such wars run out of control. For two years now, western leaders have polished their macho images at home by visiting and goading Kyiv’s president Volodymyr Zelenskiy to seek total victory with their help. It was Boris Johnson’s favourite pledge, but then his voters were merely paying for it, not dying. France’s Emmanuel Macron has at least suggested sending troops.

Equally predictable was that total victory was never on the cards. This meant that at some point doubts would ensue. Jens Stoltenberg, Nato’s secretary general, now declares we must “stay the course”, without saying what that means. Germany’s generals may want escalation, but its chancellor, Olaf Scholz, has long been cautious. So, too, is a large swathe of US public opinion, while the secretary of state, Antony Blinken, remarks only that the west must ensure Russia’s war “continues to be a strategic failure”.

Moscow at war can always play long. Horrific though it seemed at the time, the mooted deal in spring 2022 to revert to some version – almost any version – of the pre-February 2022 border would have made sense. Instead Ukraine has come to seem ever more like a Nato mercenary for western generals wanting to boost their budgets and relive the cold-war games of their youth. The price is paid by their taxpayers and Ukraine’s young men.

Western Europe has no conceivable interest in escalating the Ukraine war through a long-range missile exchange. While it should sustain its logistical support for Ukrainian forces, it has no strategic interest in Kyiv’s desire to drive Russia out of the majority Russian-speaking areas of Crimea or Donbas. It has every interest in assiduously seeking an early settlement and starting the rebuilding of Ukraine.

As for the west’s “soft power” sanctions on Russia, they have failed miserably, disrupting the global trading economy in the process. Sanctions may be beloved of western diplomats and thinktanks. They may even hurt someone – not least Britain’s energy users – but they have not devastated the Russian economy or changed Putin’s mind. This year Russia’s growth rate is expected to exceed Britain’s.

The crass ineptitude of a quarter of a century of western military interventions should have taught us some lessons. Apparently not.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Moscow at war can always play long. Horrific though it seemed at the time, the mooted deal in spring 2022 to revert to some version – almost any version – of the pre-February 2022 border would have made sense. Instead Ukraine has come to seem ever more like a Nato mercenary for western generals wanting to boost their budgets and relive the cold-war games of their youth. The price is paid by their taxpayers and Ukraine’s young men.

This has become increasingly obvious.

Zelensky was encouraged not to negotiate because continued war is good for business...

I'm thinking of Milo Minderbinder, from Catch-22:
1st Lt. Milo Minderbinder: We're gonna come out of this war rich!
Yossarian: You're gonna come out rich. We're gonna come out dead.

But it's not good for the citizens, both of the countries paying the bill and of the Ukrainian citizens paying with their lives.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24572 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biden and Macron Threaten Ukraine Intervention

https://weapons.substack.com/p...rue&utm_medium=email

Joe Biden has a lot to say in his State of the Union speech. It was an unusually harsh speech, which Biden intended it to be. It either avoided or mostly avoided three domestic realities: the huge Border crisis and the inability to fund the ten million or so illegals that have crossed the border under Biden's watch; the grotesque rise of antisemitism, fueled by the White House crude attempts to remove Netanyahu from power and punish Israelis for sundry non-crimes; many false statements about the economy which Americans understand better than Biden. Put simply: a $20 hamburger at 5 Guys, that used to cost $5 is how Americans understand things. When the Kelloggs CEO says "Let them eat cereal" people get it.

Kellogg's CEO Gary Pilnick said cereal for dinner if you are down and out

But the worst part of Biden's speech was about Ukraine and Russia. Biden went all out for Ukraine just as Ukraine is in the midst of slip slip sliding away. Why?

Part of the reason is not what Biden said, but what Macron said. The two are linked at the hip.

Macron said that the new red line is if Russia "approaches" either Odesa or Kiev. If that happens, the unpopular French leader declared, France will send troops in to fight the Russians.

What Macron actually meant to say is that Washington will send in troops to fight the Russians. Biden had that in his back pocket for some time now while he tried to do just about everything he could to kill Putin and blast the Russians.

None of it has shaken Russia in its effort to prevail on the Ukrainian battlefield. The open question is only one: at what point will Russia stop its advancing army?

For some time it has looked as if Russia's objective was to "straighten" the borders of the Donbass and Zaphorizia areas, not more. On this score Russia is very close to realizing that goal, if indeed that is how Russian would see the end game.

In that context the big prizes have been Bakhmut and Avdiivka. Both figured as threats to Russia's newly annexed territory, and militarily both were "bulges" from which Ukraine could launch attacks in future. Russia has now eliminated those threats and it is knocking off the nearby settlements, villages and logistical hubs that could feed renewed battles for those cities. In the Bakhmut direction, Russia is closely approach Chasiv Yar, an important crossroads which served as a supply and rotation area for the Ukrainian army. The Russians are slowly carrying out moves that will lead to the fall of this town. These are important successes by Russia in Ukraine that we are seeing now, although there are other places along the line of contact, especially in the Bradley Square area and still further west along the Dnieper river at Krynky where the Russians are trying to chase away the Ukrainian army and marines.

None of the above Russian targets suggest Russian plans to attack either Odessa or Kiev, although there is talk among Russian politicians about knocking off Odessa. Odessa is a large city, and it would not make great military sense for the Russians to directly launch a full-blown ground attack. They could, perhaps, find a way to choke off the city, but even that would gobble up significant resources and require a heavy effort to sustain, but to what purpose? Russians, including Putin, say Odessa is a Russian city: but that does not mean it can't be a Russian city without launching any military operation.

Kiev is another matter. It is the capital of the country. Certainly it was once a Russian city. The Czars had their winter palace there, because it was a lot warmer than St. Petersburg or Moscow. In Kiev there is the 980-year-old Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra monastery complex. The Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC), which is aligned with the Moscow church, is headquartered here in Kiev. The Zelensky government has ordered the church out of its historical property and is seeking to ban the church because it is allegedly aligned with Moscow. A number of priests have been arrested.

What will Russia do? It is unlikely the Russians will stop their advance so long as the US and NATO keep feeding weapons into Ukraine. Furthermore, a key objective of the Russian side is to get NATO out of Ukraine. This cannot be done by standing down and stopping their army. It does mean either the current Ukrainian government negotiates with Russia, or it will be replaced somehow. Replacement could include attacking Kiev, but there are other possible scenarios such as a political revolt in Ukraine that overthrows the current government and offers peace terms to Russia.

If the upheaval is political, than neither Macron nor Biden can do much about it. If the Russian army launches an offensive aimed at Kiev, then Macron and Biden likely will take steps to use US and French forces, perhaps others, in Ukraine. There is little likelihood NATO would sanction such a move, but that does not matter.

Biden is hoping he won't have to do that before the election, although he is so irrational on the subject that he might send in some US forces and challenge the Russians, figuring it will make him popular in the United States. If he does that, he will touch off a war in Europe that could quickly mutate into World War III.

Biden's harsh remarks are how he intends to carry on his presidential campaign. The more public support he loses, the more dangerous he is.

posted Hide Post
Polish Foreign Minister Says Sending NATO Troops Into Ukraine ‘Not Unthinkable’

https://www.breitbart.com/euro...ine-not-unthinkable/

Poland’s foreign minister says the presence of NATO forces “is not unthinkable” and that he appreciates the French president for not ruling out that idea.

Radek Sikorski made the observation during a discussion marking the 25th anniversary of Poland’s NATO membership in the Polish parliament on Friday, and the Foreign Ministry tweeted the comments later in English.

Last month French President Emmanuel Macron said the possibility of Western troops being sent to Ukraine could not be ruled out, a comment that prompted an outcry from other leaders.

French officials later sought to clarify Macron´s remarks and tamp down the backlash, while insisting on the need to send a clear signal to Russia that it cannot win its war in Ukraine.

The Kremlin has warned that if NATO sends combat troops, a direct conflict between the alliance and Russia would be inevitable. Russian President Vladimir Putin said such a move would risk a global nuclear conflict.

Polish President Andrzej Duda and Prime Minister Tusk will travel to Washington for a meeting at the White House next Tuesday. The Poles are hoping to spur the United States to do more to help Ukraine.

More at link

posted Hide Post
Biden is all talk and no action. He's still sitting on $4B under PDA authorized by the Congress.

We are living in interesting times when France is telling us to give our balls a tug.

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://rumble.com/v4hyoax-hig...aign=Russell%20Brand

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post wcb. Many don't or don't want to realize what we are risking in this war.

Posts: 7666 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biden Finds $300 Million In More Arms For Ukraine Even As Pentagon's Own Stockpile Diminished

https://www.zerohedge.com/mili...stockpile-diminished

The US Department of Defense has admitted not only that it is out of money to procure replacement weapons after vast amounts of America's weaponry were shipped to Ukraine over the past two years, but the US defense budget is vastly overdrawn, to the tune of $10 billion.

In focus here are dwindling US stockpiles for America's defense needs, and yet as The Associated Press reports Tuesday, the Biden administration has almost magically come up with hundreds of millions more (found some "cost savings" we are told)... for Ukraine:

The Pentagon will rush about $300 million in weapons to Ukraine after finding some cost savings in its contracts, even though the military remains deeply overdrawn and needs at least $10 billion to replenish all the weapons it has pulled from its stocks to help Kyiv in its desperate fight against Russia, the White House announced Tuesday.

It’s the Pentagon’s first announced security package for Ukraine since December, when it acknowledged it was out of replenishment funds. It wasn’t until recent days that officials publicly acknowledged they weren’t just out of money to buy replacement weapons, they are $10 billion overdrawn.

In announcing the new $300 million, national security adviser Jake Sullivan said, "When Russian troops advance and its guns fire, Ukraine does not have enough ammunition to fire back."

In recent months, defense industry journals have run article after article warning of the dangers of the Pentagon's currently depleted arms and ammunition stockpiles.

For example, last December RealClearDefense sounded the alarm over what it called "A Shrunken Arsenal: The Alarming Decline of U.S. Munitions".

The publication imagined what would happen if the US military were to suddenly be drawn into a hot war with China, and concluded it might not last very long...

In a U.S. fight with China, American forces will likely burn through munitions stocks within three weeks. Even with a surge of the U.S. industrial base, replenishing stocks will take more than six months. In the interim, the U.S. will be without sufficient bombs and bullets for its cutting-edge systems, such as fifth-generation fighter jets and High Mobility Rocket Launcher Systems, and anti-air missiles needed to protect our nuclear aircraft carriers and bases in the Pacific.

It should be recalled that last year Washington even took the unprecedented step of tapping into its stockpile of 155mm rounds held in Israel, to send hundreds of thousands to Ukraine forces.

And yet, none of this appears to have made a difference, given now the widespread acknowledgement that Kiev forces are losing ground, and simply desperately trying to hold front line positions, amid a dire shortage of manpower and ammo.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
And yet, none of this appears to have made a difference, given now the widespread acknowledgement that Kiev forces are losing ground...

Whatever it costs, for as long as it takes...
Roll Eyes

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24572 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Now listen up you sons o' botches. Ukraine's gonna get that 61 billion or we're gonna send American forces on a fool's errand. So, you just cough up the cash now, or else.

https://twitter.com/jsolomonRe.../1768674410397856231

Posts: 109011 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Europe Panics As Trump Rises From The Political Grave

So last week was fun.

It started with the US Supreme Court’s 9-0 beatdown of using the 14th Amendment to punish political opponents.

Then the Wicked Witch of Kiev, Vic(Toria) “Cookies” Nuland was forced out at the State Department after decades of torturing the world with her psychopathy.

Then Donald Trump pretty much sent Nikki Haley back to her Waffle House outside of Greenville.

It ended with French President Emmanuel Macron making “believe me” eyes at the world that NATO was ready and willing to send troops to Ukraine. Whose troops? Clearly not French troops, which are only good at this point for “going on safari in northern Africa,” according to Col. Doug MacGregor.

Also, clearly not British ships, which can’t seem to get out of port. I think I’m noting a kind of tit for tat going on between Boeing airline failures and British naval ones… but I could just be conspiratorial like that.

No, the answer has always been that it would be US troops in Europe fighting Europe’s war that everyone — The UK, Davos and their EU apparatchiks, and the US Neocons — thought would be a slam dunk to bleed Russia out.

And I’m sure that’s exactly the way they plotted it out in their Microsoft Project file over at Globalist Central.

That has obviously not taken place and it is Ukraine that is now in serious trouble. Truth be told, which has been in very short supply since the war started two years ago, Ukraine has always been in serious trouble.

And that has led, predictably, to the situation we see now. US support for Project Ukraine is coming to an end, if it hasn’t ended already. And the panic in Europe is palpable.

This was all very predictable if you accepted the framework that there was a split at the top of the US hierarchy. One faction committed to the Davos vision of the future which implied a compliant, even beaten, US and another that looked up from their quote screens and said, “Uh… no.”

The handwriting was on the wall about eight months ago when the big NATO Summit in Vilnius ended with the whimper by then UK Defense Minister Ben Wallace. Wallace was supposed to replace Jens Stoltenberg as NATO General Secretary and was shot down by no less than Joe Biden (JOAH Bii-Den!).

After that, there was no more real talk of Ukraine joining NATO. Zelenskyy went back to Kiev with the big sads after Biden gave him nothing as well. Then, in October, US Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy was ousted in a coup by Matt Gaetz and a handful of GOP fiscal hardliners.

They immediately got new Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) to tie all further foreign aid funding to as many spending cuts and dollars for border security as a slim majority in Congress would allow.

And since then Biden has been forced to look under the couches at the Pentagon for a few spare millions to send to Ukraine. He found 300 of them the other day As bad as things are, that the number starts with an ‘m’ rather than a ‘b’ has to be considered a victory.

The Senate tried to blackmail Johnson with their ridiculous $95 billion aid bill and Johnson just ‘boss moved’ Chuck Schumer by calling a two-week recess. Now, the best they can hope for a smaller bill with a lend/lease contingent with no money going to ‘humanitarian aid’ — a euphemism for pocket lining.

And despite his movement towards the Senate warhawks, Johnson is still using Ukraine aid as a means to push domestic funding reforms first. Every day these things are haggled over is another day which runs out the clock on Project Ukraine as Russian forces take towns and villages daily in the Western Donbass.

Again, not an ideal solution by any stretch of the imagination, but a Pyrrhic victory nonetheless.

But this is the state of play after last week and it’s far better than it was at the beginning of the year, since this money was already expected six months ago.

It’s put Europe in the position of finally removing the mask completely. Because as the US keeps slowly pulling away from Ukraine the calls from the EU for America to stay the course grow louder and more strident.

Remember, that in 2022-23 when it looked like the US was hellbent on going forward in Ukraine, European leaders like Macron and others were more circumspect. They wanted to virtue signal about the dangers of Ukraine escalating. They got to look like the moderates in the war room, while still sending billions in aid and weapons, arm-twisting everyone into compliance.

The real mask-off event for Europe’s real position on this war was their threatening Hungary’s Viktor Orban with complete economic devastation if he didn’t allow their $50 billion aid package to go through the European Council.

Now that all of Nuland’s military plans have failed, Ukraine’s army has been destroyed for the third time, and all of their attempts to undermine the US legally and economically (Powell must Pivot!) have fizzled, Europe finds itself in the blind panic.

Because as poll after poll suggests, Trump will return to the White House in January and has plans to end the killing and the other shenanigans in Ukraine quickly. Orban is acting as Trump’s voice of reason to both Eastern Europe as well as Russia itself.:

Orban, who spoke with Trump at the Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida on Friday, did not explain how exactly the American would do that, but said that cutting the flow of US aid was a crucial part of the plan.

”If the US will not provide the money, Europeans on their own will not be able to finance this war, and then the war will end,” Orban said in an interview with M1 broadcaster on Sunday.

During his presidency, Trump had shown himself to be “a man of peace,” the Hungarian leader claimed. That stance puts him in alignment with Hungary, unlike the administration of US President Joe Biden and many members of the EU, he added.

”The American Democratic government and the leadership of the EU, as well as the leadership of the largest EU member states are pro-war governments. Donald Trump is pro-peace, Hungary is pro-peace. At the bottom of everything lies this difference,” Orban declared.

Trump’s many things, but he is no dummy when it comes to money. Cut the flow of funds and you end the war. The wildcard is the seizure of Russia’s foreign exchange assets which would be the dumbest thing all these people could do. This is why they won’t shut up about it.

For his part, Putin is as done with the current regime in the EU as he is with the Biden junta in the US. He’s tried to reason with them, and all we hear is the most over-the-top vitriol from the usual suspects, like Macron.

Putin understands now that the only diplomacy will occur is at the point of his gun or not at all. And if Ukraine is going to escalate on behalf of Europe to attack critical infrastructure inside Russia he will take the gloves completely off, rather than just carpet bomb the line of contact.

I told you last year that no matter what the West thinks there will be “No Truce With the Heartland.” And the way for Russia to beat the west in Ukraine was to continue letting them think they had a chance to win by leaving just enough hope to have the West keep funneling billions into a slaughterhouse.

But, regardless of any of that, there will be no truce in the Heartland. Russia will not back down. China will back them to the end, as will OPEC+ and the rest of Central Asia. But they will not escalate one inch further than they need to. Allowing the West to keep thinking they can win is the ultimate form of grinding out a superior opponent.

And even if Ukraine winds up being a decade-long meat grinder with no clear victor, it will serve everyday as a warning to the rest of Asia that there is no going back and their future is better served with their neighbors than accepting bribes to remain viceroys on the West’s payroll.

Soulless ghouls like David Cameron and Lindsey Graham think this is the best money ever spent, killing Russians without any real European or American lives being spent.

I guess Slavs aren’t people too.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that’s exactly what has happened, Russia has led Europe into the ultimate cauldron, which now looks more like a political and economic black hole. And we’re far beyond the event horizon.

What it has done has left the world with no doubt what the real agenda behind this war, which really has very little to do with Russia itself.

The real agenda is preserving the colonialist business model of old Europe and Great Britain which the US was seduced into believing we were equal partners in. Clearly we aren’t in their minds.

If I’ve come to understand anything over the past few years of covering geopolitics it is that every time you think you understand the imperatives behind current events, another layer is peeled back to reveal an even deeper truth.

And today that deeper truth is that this is Europe’s war with Russia because with a Russian victory in Ukraine they are at the mercy of all the world’s major energy producers — the US, Russia, the Middle East.

This isn’t about Russia’s aggression, or the redrawing of borders through military means.

So, with their true face revealed and their quislings in the US Capitol calling in every marker, we’re going to watch this tragedy drawn out for another year or two in the hope that the US commits suicide on their behalf. For whatever reason actually motivates them, people like Mitch McConnell, Graham and John Cornyn will happily sell what’s left of the country out to salvage their own pathetic skins.

The fact that they’d do this for a bunch of equally pathetic Eurocrats is the most tragic part of this entire affair.

But this is how change ultimately has to occur, by pushing the real motivators to the front of the stage, shining the klieg lights on them and watching them squirm before unleashing another round of rotten food at them.

And what better humiliation for them than for Donald Trump to be the guy passing out tomatoes…

https://www.zerohedge.com/geop...ises-political-grave

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
In Ukraine, Graham Urges Expanded Conscription Despite Mounting War Fatigue

https://www.zerohedge.com/geop...mounting-war-fatigue

On his latest of far too many visits to Ukraine, Sen. Lindsey Graham on Monday urged legislators to expand the pool of citizens subject to being drafted and thrown into the country's losing war against Russia, saying, "We need more people in the line."

The Ukrainian military accepts voluntary enlistments from those 18 and older. However, in stark contrast to Americans' experience with military drafts, Ukraine exempts men under 27 from being conscripted. Since December, the country's legislature has been considering lowering the minimum draft age to 25, to meet the military's projected need for upwards of a half-million more soldiers.

“I would hope that those eligible to serve in the Ukrainian military would join. I can’t believe [conscription age starts] at 27,” Graham told the press. “You’re in a fight for your life, so you should be serving — not at 25 or 27.”

Of course, Ukrainians are generally only "fighting for their lives" once they're shipped east to fight an American-cultivated proxy war over territory that, as David Stockman puts it, "has been either a Russian vassal or appendage for centuries and where the term 'Ukraine' actually means 'borderlands' in Russian."

On a trip to Ukraine last May, Graham gleefully crowed that "the Russians are dying" and that aid to Zelensky's government is "the best money we ever spent."

More at link

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Former Top Polish Army Chief Admits "Ukraine Is Losing The War"

Authored by Paul Joseph Watson via Modernity.news,

A former top Polish army chief says Ukraine is losing the war and that “more than 10 million people are missing.”

General Rajmund Andrzejczak, the ex-chief of the Polish General Staff, made the comments during an appearance on Polsat Television.

“More than 10 million people are missing. According to my estimates, losses should be in the millions, not hundreds of thousands. The country has no resources, no one to fight. Ukrainians are losing this war,” said the general.

Andrzejczak pointed to Ukraine’s dwindling anti-aircraft missile supplies, which would allow Russia to conduct more effective strikes, casualties, and infrastructure damage.

“The Ukrainians are losing this war,” he stated emphasized.

After German intelligence sources warned that Russia would be in a position to attack another NATO country after 2026, Andrzejczak warned that Poland has a limited time to prepare.

“We need to prepare… A lot depends on us, whether it will be in two, three, or five years. Our mission is to push the threat further away. There is still time, but much work is needed,” he said.

As we highlighted back in December, Michael Maloof, a former Pentagon official, that the war in Ukraine is effectively “over” because Kiev’s counter-offensive has failed and there is no appetite in America to continue funding it.

The average age of a Ukrainian soldier is now 43 and mentally disabled men are being sent to fight on the front lines.

Back in November Sascha Lehnartz, chief correspondent of German newspaper Die Welt, said the Ukrainian “counteroffensive seems to have failed” and that there was a sense Kiev had “already lost” the war.

A month before that, CNN reported on a Time article which quoted a top Zelensky aide as saying, “He deludes himself. We’re out of options. We’re not winning.”

https://www.zerohedge.com/geop...s-ukraine-losing-war

-rduckwor

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Former Top Polish Army Chief Admits "Ukraine Is Losing The War"
Wait, let me write this down on the list I keep, entitled "Shit that's completely obvious" Roll Eyes

Posts: 109011 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
"Shit that's completely obvious"...
even 20 years ago (2014) when we got involved in Ukraine.
Who knew? Ron Paul called it out:

https://twitter.com/TuckerCarl...rventionism-and-most

On Ukraine

Paul, a longtime critic of US foreign policy - particularly interventionism, slammed America's involvement in the Ukraine war. Carlson played a soundbite of Paul in 2014, when the United States was deep into the reformation of Ukraine.

"We've already spent $5 billion over the last ten years trying to pick and choose the leadership of Ukraine ... And then we participated in the overthrow of the Yanukovych government," (for which then-VP Joe Biden was point-man within the Obama administration)."

And I take a noninterventionist foreign policy position. It's not our business. It doesn't serve anybody's interests. It's part of the same thing that led us into the disaster in the Middle East. So a lot of people die and a lot of money is spent...

-Ron Paul, 2014

Carlson asked Paul just how he knew all that in 2014, to which Paul replied: "Sometimes the people who are running their operation gives you an idea, like like Victoria Nuland," who he called "the worst kind of warmonger."

"Who benefits from these bombs being dropped?" Paul continued.

https://www.zerohedge.com/poli...rventionism-and-most

-rduckwor

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Page 42 of this thread is a wealth of eye-opening information. Thanks, members of the Forum

Posts: 13557 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
What is Russia’s biggest export? Oil.

When Russia Russia invaded Ukraine and annexed Crimea in Feb/March 2014, the world was suffering from fatigue from the endless wars in the ME. A boots on the ground offensive to push Russia back would have been political suicide. Instead, the US backed a coup in Ukraine and started an economic war/assault on Russia.

In Feb of 2014, Oil prices were $135 a barrel. I never believed we would see oil consistently below 100 again. Russia invades Ukraine and annexes Crimea for strategic reasons citing their belief they had historical claims to the land. The world gasps, places sanctions on Russia and the Obama administration plots an economic assault. By Feb of 2016, oil was down to $44 a barrel. How did this happen? Well, shortly after the invasion, Obama quietly stopped off in the ME (Saudi Arabia) on his way to a summit in Japan. Lo and behold, the OPEC nations ramped up production and the price of oil began dropping. Check the charts and the timeline. Crushing oil prices was the one way to hurt Russia, and hurt Russia it did. Interest rates in Russia got up over 18 percent, however the support for Putin was still enormously high. During this period we also supported a regime change in Ukraine and the Washington elites which included the like of Pelosi, Romney, Kerry, and of course the Bidens began their grift. Ron Paul wasn’t a psychic, it was out in the open for all of us to see but the average person doesn’t pay attention. Unlike Russia, our country thrives on cheap energy. We were all elated to have cheap gas to put in our cars. Important to note, US was finding Oil reserves deeper than imagined and extracting. The Balkan oil fields and the Permian Basin represent the 2nd and 3rd largest oil discovery in history.

Fast forward to now. Sleepy Joe gets installed as POTUS, and in the name of climate change starts his assault on oil. Cancelling Keystone, stopping drilling, making permits unobtainable, etc. Oil prices jump, inflation soars (transitory my ass), Covid supply chain issue, etc.,and democrats are baffled. The US shows an enormous amount of weakness in the botched Afghanistan withdrawal and it emboldens a Russia now benefitting from higher oil prices. They invade Ukraine and we piss away resources and money to prolong a fight that was never going to be won. We have weakened our dollar and status on the world stage like never before in history. Ukraine is the bread basket of Europe and should have been Europe’s problem, but the UN has grown more powerful than our puppet government and we keep siphoning our wealth and transferring it to other countries.

My answer is still NO MORE. I don’t give a shit about Ukraine and I don’t give a shit about Hamas. Let them do what they need to do, and let’s start taking care of the mess created here. Between now and January, I believe we are to witness the craziest time of our lives.

Posts: 3024 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ Good summary.
You should also mention the massive money printing as a cause of inflation.

-rduckwor