SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    President Zelenskyy, the answer is no
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 52
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

President Zelenskyy, the answer is no Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
https://twitter.com/DonaldJTru.../1721226784732033239

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28587 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
France 24 ran a freedom-loving story yesterday headlined, “Zelenskyy Calls Holding Elections in Wartime Ukraine 'Utterly Irresponsible’.”

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Monday in his nightly video address it was "utterly irresponsible" to discuss holding elections in Ukraine during a time of war. He called for unity to avoid pointless political discussions.
https://www.voanews.com/a/war-...economy/7343244.html

It’s true Zelensky said that, but the actual news that happened was Zelensky cancelled another election cycle because Putin. We must save Ukraine to save democracy! We must not let the tiny flicker of democracy fizzle out in Ukraine! Well, we must save the ideal of democracy anyway. Over in Eastern Europe, like in Gaza, democracy per se doesn’t always involve actual elections, not proper ones.

The whole thing is very complicated and you just wouldn’t understand. Don’t bother your pretty little heads about it. Just keep paying your taxes. Freedom!

https://www.coffeeandcovid.com...ack&utm_medium=email

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24554 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Hamas, Ukraine became yesterday's newspaper. The Ukrainian Money initiative is shut down. How long before they reveal all the Biden corruption to the world? The over/under is 60 days.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8652 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Birthday Present Filled With Grenades Kills Aide To Ukraine's Top Commander

https://www.zerohedge.com/geop...ukraines-top-general

An entirely bizarre story is widely circulating in international headlines on the 'accidental' death of a high-ranking Ukrainian military commander.

A top aide to Ukraine’s armed forces commander-in-chief, Gen. Valery Zaluzhny, has died Monday after what was initially reported as an "unknown explosive device" went off inside a birthday present he was handed.

He's been identified as Major Hennadii Chastiakov, and details have since emerged saying he was given a gift box full of grenades. An urgent Telegram post from Ukraine's minister of internal affairs Ihor Klymenko might be among the strangest war time announcements out of Kiev yet.

The post was translated by the Washington Post as follows:

Gen. Valery Zaluzhny said that his assistant, Maj. Hennadii Chastiakov, was killed under “tragic circumstances” while celebrating his birthday with relatives when “an unknown explosive device went off in one of the gifts.” His 13-year-old son was also seriously injured, the National Police of Ukraine said.

The below image is now circulating on Ukrainian news sites and social media. The Washington Post commented:

In one photo, what appear to be several grenades or grenade-shaped items are scattered across the floor. On social media, some jumped to the conclusion that Chastiakov’s death had been an assassination rather than a mistake.

"I pray to God that this was a tragic coincidence and not a targeted attack," wrote Dana Yarova, member of the Defense Ministry’s anti-corruption council.

Regional reports have filled in some further alleged details, but there's much that remains unclear and somewhat contradictory, also given the very strange nature of the top officer's death:

Chastiakov's wife said the item that exploded was a grenade inside a gift bag, Ukrainska Pravda reported, citing an unnamed law enforcement source. The gift bag also contained a bottle of alcohol and shot glasses that looked like grenades, per the report.

The same report suggests the dangerous gift was given to Maj. Chastiakov by a lower-ranking soldier:

Klymenko said in a Telegram message that an exchange between Chastiakov and his son led to the accidental detonation of one of the grenades. Police later found five more unexploded grenades at his residence and identified a Ukrainian soldier who gave them to Chastiakov. The soldier's office has been searched, and more grenades were found there, Klymenko said.

As for the above narrative account, it's hard to imagine a "shot glass" resembling a grenade would lead to confusion with real "grenades" also present in the same gift. And why would a pin then be pulled? Possibly, he thought they were realistic looking 'toy grenades' or some type of gag gift.

It's also obviously a major question as to why someone would wrap up grenades in a present in the first place (unless the intent is to actually blow up the recipient).

One initial theory has been that it was no accident at all, but a targeted assassination of a key military decision-maker. Inside Russia, there's been a string of assassinations by Ukrainian intelligence, with among the most notable being the car-bombing of Darya Dugina in August of 2022 outside Moscow. Perhaps this was a retaliatory Russian intelligence operation on Ukrainian soil?

Or else, could this have been the work of an internal rival faction within Ukraine? Has the night of the long knives begun in Ukraine? One thing is for sure--this is an incredibly strange story.

Posts: 13010 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I hate it when someone gives me a bottle of liquor and grenade shaped shot glasses for my birthday but some wiseguy slipped a real grenade in there too.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://twitter.com/KanekoaThe...n-the-ukraine-war%2F

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Tucker Carlson and Glenn Greenwald Discuss the Current Status of the Ukraine Conflict

Glenn Greenwald and Tucker Carlson sit down and discuss the status of the current “war” in Ukraine. The subject of the reality around the war comes as a consequence of several media outlets who have begun writing about the State Dept and CIA looking for an exit from World War Reddit.
WATCH:

According to sources who are speaking to NBC News, U.S. and EU officials are gently beginning to talk to Ukraine government officials about what steps might need to be taken to bring an end to the Ukraine-Russia war. Obviously, for those who do not pretend, we all know the decision to end this conflict comes down to the USA telling Ukraine President Zelenskyy to open peace talks with Russia.

https://theconservativetreehou...onflict/#more-252957

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24554 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It tends to make one feel rather wise to be ahead of the curve, and it seems that my unpopular position has become worthy of consideration by those formerly Ukraine supporters waving their little flags at those of us who saw through this folly.

They've become bored with Zelenskyy and have moved on to supporting the next "current thing".

Zelenskyy will be alright, though. After all, he's the modern Winston Churchill, isn't he? Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It tends to make one feel rather wise to be ahead of the curve, and it seems that my unpopular position has become worthy of consideration by those formerly Ukraine supporters waving their little flags at those of us who saw through this folly.

It does feel good. I caught a lot of serious flak for having this sentiment in March and April of last year, here, from close friends and family, at work, and the internet abroad. I had people get really angry with me, yell horrible things at me, get short and snippy, or accuse me of everything from being a hypocrite to hating freedom to being a "Putler fanboy." The whole time, I've said it's none of our goddamned business and we shouldn't get involved or even takes sides.

October 16, 2022, I posted this image in the other Ukraine thread. I got panned pretty hard by one member who has since left in a hissy fit, but not before saying "good job promoting American values," and another who hasn't posted since April. My opinion hasn't changed. Solidly not our problem, but as a friend of mine quipped today while we were discussing the 90 day ban on firearms export and sudden "concerns" by members of congress about arming Israelis, "America loves it's monopoly on violence." Too many American wars in my lifetime where we either started one, got goaded into one, had "vested interests" in, sent "advisors" to, or really, just really wanted to have a part in and probably sixty years from now it'll come out that we somehow fomented the whole thing. Somehow, in my lifetime, I've become anti-war and anti-mega corporations driving global conflict. That sounded like some commie shit twenty years ago. I think the only thing that's really changed is what we know when we're willing to pay attention.

So with all that ado, I post this again, 390 days later. Tell me what's different. From here, sure looks like not a damn thing. If anything, it's a sharper, clearer image and the letters in the font look crisper and I wish it was just because I've started wearing reading glasses.

Posts: 17574 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
My opinion hasn't changed. Solidly not our problem

We made it our problem when demon rats were in charge and decided it would be a good idea to pull some chestnuts out of the fire for their new "democratic" Russian friends, despite them almost openly declaring their desires to rebuild the empire. I can't believe you don't know the history of this particular issue (you don't come across as a Millenial, so must be old enough to remember the 90s), but here's a brief article summarizing it pretty well:

https://euromaidanpress.com/20...e-budapest-betrayal/

TL;DR:

quote:

When the US was conducting final negotiations with Russia regarding nuclear disarmament of Ukraine in 1994, Russia was already beginning its war against Chechnya and preparing annexation of Crimea — the latter stopped only by the timely deployment of Ukrainian forces. The US regarded Russian “interests in its near abroad” as “legitimate” and, as US Deputy Secretary of State Nelson Strobridge Talbott admitted, “shut down” Ukrainian President Leonid Kravchuk‘s pleas for genuine security guarantees in exchange for nuclear disarmament.

The Ukrainian Parliament adopted the Treaty under threats from the US, including threats of international isolation, as well as Russian threats to cut oil and gas supply to Ukraine. The Treaty was adopted contrary to Ukrainian public opinion in 1993, when, according to the independent research center “Democratic Initiatives,” 45.3% preferred “nuclear-weapon status” for Ukraine, whereas 35% selected disarmament.

In the early 1990s, Ukraine insisted numerous times on the threat from Russia during negotiations with the US, but the Clinton administration decided to “recognize Russian interests” in Ukraine.

In particular, the unearthed papers show the USSR’s last foreign minister, Eduard Shevardnadze, saying during the talks with then-President of Ukraine Leonid Kravchuk that “just one nuclear missile” in Ukrainian hands would have been enough to safeguard its independence from Russia.

In April 1993, Kravchuk confided to then-Georgian president Eduard Shevardnadze his “main headache” that “Moscow and the US together have been twisting my arms painfully” in “demanding [the] transfer [of Ukraine’s nuclear weapons] to the Russian Federation.”

The history of nuclear disarmament of Ukraine under US pressure becomes even more striking, given that the US knew about Russian intentions to subjugate Ukraine under its control and even considered the Russian invasion of Ukraine possible. Following the final trip to Moscow ahead of the Budapest memorandum, Talbott asked then Secretary of State Warren Christopher rhetorically:

“Do we have good answers to questions about what we’ll do if reality refuses to follow the script we’re writing for it? What if Russia invades Ukraine?”

The question was never considered seriously enough in a theoretical hope that in the future when needed, such a possibility of invasion could be negotiated away with Moscow. Generally, the new imperial ambitions of Moscow were ignored by the US leaders, blinded by the strongly desired illusion of the seemingly democratic new Yeltsin’s Russia.

Demon rats squandered Reagan's legacy and made Europe less stable for no good reason and got nothing to show for it. Now they are waffling and dithering instead of quickly providing necessary means to restore the legal borders and deter any future adventurism by other members of that lovely club (China, Iran, NoKo).

PS. And let's not forget this clown: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...issiles-Ukraine.html

Posts: 138 | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You keep bringing up the Budapest Agreement. Russia violated it in 2014, and 2016 and we did what? That's right, we broke the third part of the agreement by sanctioning Russian and Ukrainian officials. Part four says we "affirm [our] commitment to seek immediate United Nations Security Council action to provide assistance to Ukraine, as a non-nuclear-weapon state party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, if Ukraine should become a victim of an act of aggression or an object of a threat of aggression in which nuclear weapons are used." I don't see anywhere that Russia has threatened to nuke Ukraine. All the news article references I can find, or remember, are him vaguely threatening other UN nations with nukes and some of that in response to UN officials saying nuclear weapons against Russia were an option on the table. Now, if Russia had threatened nukes on Ukraine, our obligation, AS OUTLINED CLEARLY IN THE AGREEMENT, would be to seek UN Security Council action.

Here's the full text of that document. I don't see anywhere in there a single thing that says we need to provide billions of dollars in military materiel and cash, it does not obligate us to defend Ukraine's borders during a border dispute. This is at least the second time you've thrown the Budapest Memorandum in my face in one of these threads, so I encourage you to read it thoroughly, because you seem to have some misconceptions about what it actually says.

https://treaties.un.org/doc/Pu...ume-3007-I-52241.pdf

I'll say it again: Squarely not our problem.

Posts: 17574 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
This was a frustrating thread because the entire dispute was entirely predictable from day one. Any attempt to push for negotiations was met with patient explanations of how this was money well spent! Meanwhile, the dead people are not coming back and a peace still has to be arranged. Humans are slow learners.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Russians take the initiative: Bad news from Ukraine

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...e09586aba50aca&ei=56

The Russian military has assumed the initiative in the areas of Kupyansk-Svatovo-Kreminna (located in the Luhansk and Kharkiv regions) and the Donetsk region. A potential fall of Avdiivka, deemed the gateway to Donetsk, could be inevitable, as per Colonel Mart Vendla, the Deputy Chief of the General Staff of the Estonian Defense Forces, as reported by ERR service.

"The Armed Forces of the Russian Federation intensified attacks this week," Vendla elaborated. He estimated that the Russians conducted an average of 64 assaults per day.

From these events, it can be deduced that the Russian Federation still possesses the manpower and resources required to maintain continuous pressure on the Ukrainian Armed Forces. Judging by these numbers, it is clear that the Russian military has seized the initiative in both the Luhansk and Donetsk regions. This reaffirms that the objectives of the Russian Federation in Ukraine remain unchanged, stated the military official.

Possibility of Avdiivka's fall

According to Vendla, the primary short-term objective of the Russian forces is to seize Avdiivka in the Donetsk region.

"By capturing Avdiivka, Russia could declare a political victory of sorts. But there's also a practical benefit. It is a relatively densely populated area, otherwise known as the gateway to Donetsk, and controlling it would greatly aid in logistics organization," the officer pointed out.

He emphasized, however, that capturing Avdiivka would be challenging and both sides are currently experiencing heavy casualties. "The defense of Ukraine is still operational," he stated.

"While we cannot dismiss the possibility of Avdiivka's fall, we presently anticipate that they should withstand this pressure," he added.

Battling in the mud

Vendla mentioned that rasputitsa, or the seasonal mud season, is slowly commencing in Ukraine, which will notably alter the battlefield conditions.

"In the coming week or two, the weather impact will likely increase even more, causing serious disruptions in the use of heavy and armored vehicles this month and the next, until the ground freezes. Both the Ukrainian Armed Forces and the Russian Federation are probably striving to secure their existing positions before winter's onset," the Estonian officer assessed.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Those tanks they pulled out the museum must have made all the difference, I guess.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Link: Ukraine not winning war

quote:
ROBBY SOAVE, THE HILL: Are we reaching the point that many non-interventionists or skeptics of increased and permanent U.S. support to Ukraine... long predicted, where Ukraine has no choice but to have a conversation with Russia about what the future of the contested region will be?

DAVID SACKS: Yeah, that's exactly the point that we've reached. What you've really seen over the past week or so is that the narrative dam around the reality of Ukraine has completely broken and the truth is now pouring out.

It started with that Time Magazine article where Zelensky's own aides and advisors said that he was "delusional," for this, what they said, "messianic belief in their ultimate victory." One of his advisors said they are out of options, they are not winning, but "try telling him that."

That wasn't the end of it, you had this NBC News story basically saying the war was deadlocked and in a stalemate. But even more than that, officials said that if Ukraine didn't negotiate by the end of the year, the situation would become urgent. You could almost hear the panic in these unnamed officials' voices.

Then you had the New York Times just the other day talking about an open rift that has developed between Zelensky and his commander-in-chief, Zaluzhny.

Zaluzhny did an interview with The Economist in which he said the was is a stalemate. Zelensky disagreed with that in a press conference and so now the two are openly at odds with each other in the press.

So what you see now is there is no agreement within even the Ukrainian senior leadership, between Zelnsky and his advisors, and between Zelensky and his top general, about what is happening in the war.

I think now the truth has broken out, which is that Ukraine is not winning this war, the counteroffensive has been a failure, and if they don't start doing something different, they're headed for disaster.

BRIAHNA JOY GRAY: Why do you think we're getting this news now, that we're getting the Time Magazine piece now? Certainly, circumstances on the ground haven't been tony for Ukraine for a very long time, if ever. Do you think this is really about the United States making a choice about which of two ongoing wars it wants to throw its resources behind, and this is all being provoked by the fighting in Gaza? Or do you think it is being driven by the frustration with people inside his own regime, like this general who has been speaking out? To what do you attribute the change in tenor?

DAVID SACKS: I think that if Zelensky continues with this strategy of insisting on advances, there is a great fear on the part of the administration and within his own general corps that Ukraine will collapse.

Remember, since the counteroffensive began on June 4, Ukraine has basically been on the offensive for about five months. They've been hurling their troops and weapons at these fixed Russian fortifications now with huge casualties and huge losses. And the thing that the Time profile makes clear is that these orders to advance, this insistence to continually be on offense, to make progress of even just a few meters a day, is coming directly from the office of the president [of Ukraine].

And what some of the sources say is even if the U.S. comes through with more weapons and ammunition, the Ukrainian army does not have the personnel to use them. They say they do not have the manpower.

I think there is a great fear now that if Zelensky continues with this delusional strategy, the Ukraine side will collapse. And I think the Biden administration is very interested in avoiding a situation like that, a collapse, before the election. So I think they are quite unsure what to do now, and you are seeing administration officials now speaking more honestly about the situation because they see the urgency here.

Posts: 18337 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Some of us saw the truth long ago.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Seriously, like three weeks into it! Mad

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Interesting anecdote I read somewhere like UK Daily Mail about Ukrainian "refugees" in Germany refusing/not willing to work and instead are sucking up the generous public dole, this one commenter said all his local shops there were "full of well-dressed Ukrainian women jabbering in Russian on the latest smartphone."

Do the majority of them speak Russian?

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post