SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Virginia legislator openly carries her gun on state Senate floor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia legislator openly carries her gun on state Senate floor Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted
A freshman legislator has started openly carrying her .38 revolver on the floor of the Virginia state Senate.

State Sen. Amanda Chase (R) told The Washington Post that she has begun wearing her revolver visibly strapped to her hip after a colleague was confronted by a group of protesters.

“I’ve had people get in my face. I’ve had people come up and try to touch me inappropriately,” Chase said, adding that her gun acts as a “deterrent.”

The Virginia state Capitol, in Richmond, has lax gun rules and gun-toting visitors are allowed in if they have a concealed-carry permit, the Post reported.

Chase, who owns a small financial services business, told the newspaper that she usually carries her gun concealed because she doesn’t want to “raise alarm for other people.”

However, she decided to openly display her weapon after state Sen. Richard H. Black said he was confronted by immigration activists on Monday over his bill to ban sanctuary cities.

Chase said Black’s encounter “concerned” her and she began openly carrying her revolver on Tuesday, as first noted by the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

“I’ve had threats. I’ve had stalkers since I’ve been in the General Assembly,” Chase said. “I am going to continue to represent the issues that are important to my constituents, and I’m not going to be intimidated by people who would try to physically harm me.”

The conservative legislator has opposed federal efforts to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) this year, the Post reported.

She said openly carrying her gun has given her more confidence.

“It empowers women,” she said. “I jokingly call it my ERA.”

Chase told the newspaper that she’s had positive reception and has been called a “badass.”

Critics, however, say it isn’t necessary for Chase to carry a gun on the Virginia Senate floor.

“I think the Capitol Police are well trained and do a fabulous job,” said Brian Moran, Virginia’s secretary of public safety and homeland security. “And if any member has concerns, they really should express those to Capitol Police so they feel secure while they’re doing the people’s business in the people’s house.”

State Senate Minority Leader Richard L. Saslaw (D) said her nickname should be “Senator Annie Oakley Chase.”

“If she gets in an argument, what’s she gonna [do], pull out a gun and shoot them?” he said. “I just think it’s absurd.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/s...-gun-on-senate-floor

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4582 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Critics, however, say it isn’t necessary for Chase to carry a gun on the Virginia Senate floor.“I think the Capitol Police are well trained and do a fabulous job,” said Brian Moran, Virginia’s secretary of public safety and homeland security. “And if any member has concerns, they really should express those to Capitol Police so they feel secure while they’re doing the people’s business in the people’s house.”

Not sure they really understand why someone would carry a gun. Hey dipshit, she wants to be safe walking from the parking lot to Gen Assembly and back. I don't think she's at all worried about being on the floor.

Second off, thank you Virginia for not going completely blue yet.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:

State Senate Minority Leader Richard L. Saslaw (D) ...

“If she gets in an argument, what’s she gonna [do], pull out a gun and shoot them?” he said. “I just think it’s absurd.”

You're an idiot.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30422 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Any sane and reasonable person has the desire for self preservation. Any living being has the innate instinct for self preservations.

Therefore, being a believer in "intelligent design", a "Creator" or simply "nature and evolution", the thought of anything other than the complete and unabridged acceptance of first premise is insanity, idiocy or just being plain fucked up in the head.

And if you see any of the latter, get them people, off my lawn!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43915 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. -- Robert A. Heinlein

More power to her. She has the right, so why not take advantage of it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Good thing she doesn't live in New Mexico.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Ha!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17293 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

You're an idiot.

He's a psycho who thinks he's sane, because that's what he would do.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17005 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
If she gets in an argument, what’s she gonna [do], pull out a gun and shoot them?” he said. “I just think it’s absurd.

I wonder what other rights this dem turd thinks are absurd?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15616 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

You're an idiot.

He's a psycho who thinks he's sane, because that's what he would do.

He's the twat who proposed several of the new gun laws for Virginia mentioned in the other thread. Fortunately most died in committee.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
I think it's awesome! Thank goodness the laundry list of anti-gun bills introduced have been killed in committee. I think it would be a loud statement, for as many of the R legislators we have in there, to all open carry one day in a show of solidarity for pro-2A values the majority of the state has.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1202 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by policetruck:
I think it's awesome! Thank goodness the laundry list of anti-gun bills introduced have been killed in committee. I think it would be a loud statement, for as many of the R legislators we have in there, to all open carry one day in a show of solidarity for pro-2A values the majority of the state has.

I also think it is great!

A few years ago I was in a Lowe's store check out line and just ahead of me was a young woman accompanied by her 3 children. Kids aged from about 10-11 down to 3. Prominently on her hip was a 357mag. I commented to my son in law that that is something we do not see everyday, and armed woman. She heard me, turned and flashed me the most brilliant smile! I know 3 women down in SW Virginia who never leave home without their pistol.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Critics, however, say it isn’t necessary for Chase to carry a gun on the Virginia Senate floor.
Guns are never necessary, until they are.

quote:
And if his life is threatened, what is he gonna do, roll into a fetal position and whimper "Oh please, don't shoot me."? I think that's absurd!

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Representative Chase was interviewed yesterday on local radio. She was quite rational, and said she wasn't trying to "send a message," but that she simply wanted to protect herself.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Representative Chase was interviewed yesterday on local radio. She was quite rational, and said she wasn't trying to "send a message," but that she simply wanted to protect herself.

WRVA had a blurb the other day that included her making comments about it,

basically without going in to detail, she mentioned security and felt a need outside the gov buildings,

I say good for her, and makes me glad I voted for her

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10433 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

Hmmm, a politician who not only doesn’t think guns are the problem, but clearly and openly sees them as part of the solution. What a novel concept! We need more like her.

Posts: 6922 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

Leftist projection. They lack functional brains and an ability to remain calm during arguments, so they project their insecurities onto the adults in the room. Yes, I understand you leftist asshole, if YOU had a gun on your hip, and got into an argument with a racist misogynist white republican, you are likely to pull out your gun and start shooting. Your diminished leftist brain says that behavior is OK.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

...or New Hampshire with our infestation of border jumpers from the south. Frown

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3456 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

WRVA had a blurb the other day that included her making comments about it,

basically without going in to detail, she mentioned security and felt a need outside the gov buildings,

I heard an interview with her on Fox News yesterday while driving. I think she did a nice job. Good for her.

God bless America.

Posts: 13517 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
When I was in Tallahassee during the legislative session last year a bill had been introduced to allow legislators to carry in the capitol when the legislature is in session. The bill died in committee, but personal security is obviously on some of their minds in a number of states.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post