Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chibi's Tail Login/Join 
Picture of Rawny
posted
Cats are always welcome in my yard. Quite a few come by daily for free meals. Back in mid-June, a little runt showed up and took refuge. He was emaciated, dirty, and had a nasty wound on his neck.

He looked to be about 8 weeks old. His mother or litter-mates were nowhere to be seen. Hungry, injured, and alone, he was in dire need of help.

Tried as I might, he was weary of me and would not let me get close. There was a cold snap during that time in CA when night temperature dipped into the 40s. I put out a space heater and a box with towels, hoping he would take advantage of the warmth they provided.

He had his own idea though, and found a small cavity in my tool cabinet outside where he felt safe and slept there. All I could do was provide aid from a distance.

Each morning I would look for him, dreading what I might find. Each day, he would emerge from his cubbyhole and explored my yard.

Slowly I get closer to him with each feedings. During the second week, I took him by the scruff of his neck, hoping to put him in a carrier to bring him to a vet. As soon as I picked him up, he started clawing and biting me. He escaped and my hand was scratched up badly. I was upset, but also relieved in knowing that he is a fighter and has the will to survive.

The trust I had built up has been lost though, and I spent almost a month trying to earn it back.

In early August, I finally got him to allow me to touch him.

After getting him accustomed to being close to me, I was finally able to clean him up and examine his wound. By then, the injury had healed on its own, and fur had begun to grow back in that area.

After more than a month of recovery, he was healthy enough to play and even hunt.

He already has three confirmed kills. Geckos do not stand a chance in my yard. Cool

I started allowing him into the house to get him ready for indoor living. He took an instant liking to my 12yr old Mocha.

The old boy though often gets annoyed by his youthful exuberance. A quick swipe of his paw would often put the young-ling in his place. Big Grin

I moved him into the house over the long weekend. He is scheduled to be vaccinated and micro-chipped next week. He sneezes quite often and has discharges in his eyes. I will need to get him a check up with a vet.

I named him Chibi(ちび). It means "Tiny" in Japanese. From the way he's growing though, he wouldn't be tiny very long. Razz

The little firecracker had come a long way. There were times I had doubts, but he kept proving me wrong. Cool

Posts: 2665 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Humanity likes this

Posts: 107744 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Good luck, that is a cute kitteh.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Good on you Rawny!

My walk-in tux. She lived to 21 years.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Great stuff, Rawny! Chibi's in good hands.

Posts: 17219 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
You know that cats allow us to be in their presence. ...................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2027 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Hat Tip Rawny!

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Congrats and such a great story. We have a Sylvester cat and he has the sweetest personality. They are so good.
This post made my day. I hope you all have a long, happy. healthy life together.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19249 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You made my day with that story and the pics. Good on ya, brother.

Posts: 405 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Really nice story of recovery. Smile

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2019 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Great story. Thanks for caring for Chibi.

Posts: 5699 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Thank you for taking care of him.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words. While I was caring for Chibi, Mocha had to be taken to the emergency room to get treated for pancreatitis. It was a tough week a month ago.

Now, they are both better and fighting living with each other. Big Grin

Posts: 2665 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Good on you. We have two adoptees in the house, and two more in the barn. They just find us here.

Every night we call the barn cats onto the screen porch, and give them shelter in the garage, with food and litter box. That way, they are safe from 'yotes.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A fine cat!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Good on you Rawny!

My walk-in tux. She lived to 21 years.

Pipe Smoker, you kitteh had very similar color pattern. I can imagine Chibi looking like that one day, from all the treats I will be heaping on him.

Mocha was about the same size when he was a kitten. He was not much bigger than my G29 he was using for a pillow. Big Grin

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Well done sir. I don’t even like cats and what you’ve done is still pretty awesome.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: slosig,

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post