SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Racoons, Possums,and Squirrels, oh my!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Racoons, Possums,and Squirrels, oh my! Login/Join 
posted
Did you know they can cause you thousands of bucks of damage to your car? My niece went to visit her brother who lived in the country with a lot of woods around. After three days she tries to start her car and the sterring wheel would spin around and lights flashing all over, but wouldn't start. Her brother lifted the hood to check it out and a racoon jumped out and he seen the wiring insulation was eaten off the wires. It seems the insulation on the wires is know made with a soybean base and those three love the stuff. It cost her $4600 to get it repaired.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Rats love to eat the insulation off the wires. Seen it many times at my friend's shop.

I've never heard of a coon or possum doing it and I live in the country.

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, my 2005 chevy K1500 had a problem with squirrels eating its wiring. Now they have started going after the wiring on my 2015 chevy K1500. Just placed an order with amazon and it should be here today for a Squirrelinator trap.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rats are notorious for eating the insulation off wires here in the south. Many homes have caught fire due to the little bastards. I nearly set one on fire last year doing some mold remediation in a crawl space due to exposed wires thanks to rats.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We had problems with rats chewing wires under my bride’s pickup truck. I read somewhere that a bar of Irish Spring soap left under the hood would keep rats away. Supposedly it has to be the original formula.
When we got her a new truck the first thing I did was put a bar of that stinking soap under the hood. So far, no evidence of rat incursions. And it’s been nearly two years.

Posts: 26918 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Know of someone who had squirrels chewing wiring on his Jeep. Mothballs in nylon hosiery seemed to help.
EDIT: ... well that, and harvesting some squirrels

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hobbs,

Posts: 4704 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Back in the early 90 my fire department received a call for a car fire on a highway that runs through town.
When we arrived there was smoke but no flames coming out from under the hood. When we opened the hood out comes a possum from a nest it had made under the hood. It was not very happy and ran off.
The nest was up against the exhaust manifold and starter to smolder.
The owner had just picked up the car from being repaired. If my memory is correct he had dropped it off for repair before he went away on vacation a week earlier. The shop fixed it early in the week than sat for several days.
I guess the possum thought it was a good place to build its new home.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In north central Pa, the trail guides for hiking trails around the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon would advise to scatter mothballs under your vehicle to discourage opposum from dining on your rubber brake hoses and radiator hoses. Apparently, they believe the critters were attracted to salt in the rubber. They didn’t explain why rubber tires were not targeted.

Posts: 283 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arizona Pack Rats love to chew on late model VW wiring. The car started and ran but several lights were flashing. Dealer fixed the wiring under customer good will but the Pack Rat issue was one reason why I sold the VW TDI back to VW.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Had a very expensive mouse issue on the 2017 Camaro SS last year. Ate a mess of wires under the dash. Little bastards got in through the 1"x10" HOLE for the stupid "cabin air filter". Had to have the entire dash removed to repair the damage.

Yeah. I was very happy about it.

Had the tech fit a SCREEN over the cabin filter inlet. What an absolutely stupid design flaw! Like INVITING rodents into the interior.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine who is a mechanic has told me that if I spray WD-40 on my wires it will keep the varmints from chewing them up.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
M@THERF#CKIN rats (or squirrel or possum) chewed the wiring harness to my transmission fluid pressure sensor on my Subaru this week.

This is war.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phil in indy:
A friend of mine who is a mechanic has told me that if I spray WD-40 on my wires it will keep the varmints from chewing them up.

We use Silicone spray. Seems to keep the critters from eating the wires. Now if they would just quit eating hood insulation......

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post