SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Best CD Rates for March 2023
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Best CD Rates for March 2023 Login/Join 
posted
After years of hovering near record lows, interest rates are rising again. That’s prompted some investors to give a long-overlooked investment a fresh glance: certificates of deposit.

Certificates of deposit, or CDs, are similar to savings accounts in that you can park your money in one, risk-free, and earn interest on that deposit. One important distinction is that, with CDs, you have to agree not to touch that money for a designated time, anywhere from a few months to five years or more, depending on which product you pick. The other big difference is that the best CD rates can be higher—sometimes by a lot—than savings account rates.

Like savings accounts, CDs offer the security of insurance from Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., says Clark Kendall, chief executive of wealth management firm Kendall Capital. “They offer the safety of principal…at a considerably higher rate of return than they did 12 months ago,” he says.

What are CD rates?
The two biggest factors that impact how much you can earn are how much money you want to put into a CD and the amount of time you’re willing to let the bank hold on to that money. Some banks have minimums—$1,000 is common—to open a CD account, while others have a much lower threshold or none at all.

“Typically the more money you’re able to invest and the longer the term, the better the rate you’re going to get,” says Shannon Skopak, assistant vice president at Affinity Federal Credit Union. In addition, many banks offer limited-time promotional CDs with even higher annual percentage yields, or APYs.

Will CD rates keep going up in 2023?
The Fed’s ongoing battle to tame inflation means that savers will be able to continue locking in high CD rates, experts predict. A growing number of banks and credit unions are offering CDs with annual percentage yields, or APYs, near or at 5%.

It has been a full year since the Federal Reserve kicked off an aggressive rate-hiking cycle to battle inflation. The federal-funds rate is currently at a range of 4.5% to 4.75% and will likely climb at least half a percentage point higher. As recently as December, a survey of policymakers estimated a Fed funds rate of 5.1%, according to data released by the Fed. But inflation has only proven more stubborn since then, suggesting that the final number could come in even higher.

A higher fed funds rate makes it more expensive for banks to borrow money from one another—and ultimately that means they will have to pay more to borrow from you, too. “The Federal Reserve is basically correcting the easy-money policy they had since Covid began,” says Clark Kendall, president of Rockville, Md.-based wealth management company Kendall Capital.

Short-term CDs offer better rates
Despite the attractive rates, the CD market has one highly unusual feature—what’s known as an inverted yield curve. The best rates you can find are on shorter-maturity CDs of two years or less. Longer-term CDs, those for terms of five years or more pay less. This is unusual—longer CDs traditionally pay higher yields because banks need to compensate customers for keeping their money tied up for a longer stretch of time.

For example, at Ally Bank, a saver can get a 5% APY on an 18-month CD, but three- and five-year CDs are each at 4.25%. Synchrony Bank has a rate of 4.5% for a one-year CD (and 5% for a promotional 14-month CD), but the APY for a three- or five-year CD is a lower 4.3%.

These backwards-seeming terms reflect the considerable uncertainty that banks today have about the trajectory of the economy. The yield curve on Treasury bonds is also inverted—and that’s generally an ominous sign for the economy. It signals banks expect slow growth and, perhaps, interest rate cuts—in other words, a high probability of a recession. “There’s always a relationship between what the Fed’s doing and what the banks are doing,” says Rick Kahler, founder of Kahler Financial Group.

How to Shop for CDs
The unusual interest rate environment means you need to look closely to make sure you are getting the best possible CD deal. “Consumers need to spend a little bit of time and due diligence,” says David Frisch, president of Frisch Financial Group.

Look at rates for CDs of the same term—say, 12 or 24 months—so you can compare apples to apples. A bank that offers the best rate on a one-year CD might not be nearly as competitive on a two-year CD, for instance. If you think you might need to access your money sooner rather than later, look for shorter-term CDs or ones that don’t charge a penalty for early withdrawal.

You can use online tools to determine which banks have the best CD rates, as well as look up or visit local banks or credit unions in your area. Check out online institutions like Ally Bank, Buy Side from WSJ’s pick for Best Online Bank. CD rates at digital banks are often higher because they have lower overhead than banks with bricks-and-mortar branches, although Capital One—one of our favorite traditional banks—announced a promotional 11-month CD with an APY of 5%, illustrating that brick-and-mortar banks also sometimes offer surprisingly competitive CD rates.

Also keep in mind that when it comes to CD rates, highest APY isn’t the only factor you need to consider: Look for a CD with a minimum you can afford (or no minimum at all), and figure out how long you’re comfortable having your money locked up. Also check to make sure there aren’t any monthly fees or other charges that could erode your earnings.

CD terms you should know
There are a handful of terms you need to know in order to evaluate the best CD for your needs.

Annual percentage yield: When you ask, what are CD rates, you’re really asking what is the annual percentage yield. Often abbreviated to APY, this is the rate of return you’ll earn on your money, taking compounding into effect.

Early withdrawal penalty: Most CDs penalize you if you want to withdraw your money before the maturity date. This might be a flat fee, although most typically the penalty fee is a percentage of the accrued interest, all the way up to 100%. For shorter-term CDs in particular, it’s not uncommon to have to forfeit all of the interest.

Flexible-rate CD: CD rates are fixed, but some banks offer CDs that give you a one-time opportunity to raise your APY if interest rates have risen significantly since you opened the account.

IRA CD: Ordinary CDs are funded with money you have already paid taxes on, and the interest you earn is subject to federal and state income tax. Many banks also offer individual retirement accounts where the funds are invested in CDs. There are both traditional IRA CDs and Roth IRA CDs, governed by the same IRS regulations as IRAs invested in other types of assets.

Laddering: Laddering CDs is a strategy in which you take the total sum of money you want to put in CDs, split it into equal amounts and put each into a CD with a different maturity date. For instance, if you want to put $3,000 into CDs using laddering, you could put $1,000 into a three-month CD, $1,000 into a six-month CD and the remaining $1,000 into a one-year CD. When those CDs mature, you can roll them into new ones that retain a staggered maturity schedule.

Maturity date: The term of a CD refers to how long you’ll need to keep your money locked up (such a as three months, or a year.) The maturity date is when that term ends. At that point, you can reclaim your money—and collect the accrued interest it has earned. CDs come in a wide range of maturities. Some terms are as short as a month (although returns are often so low that you’d be better off just parking your money in a high-yield savings account), while others stretch as long as a decade.

No-penalty CD: These CDs usually have somewhat lower APYs, but they waive the early withdrawal penalty and let you keep the interest that has accrued.

Share certificate: This is banking legalese that indicates the certificate is offered by a credit union (which is a nonprofit institution, as opposed to a for-profit bank) and insured by the Credit Union National Association rather than the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. From your point of view as a saver, whether you have a share certificate versus a CD doesn’t really make a difference.

How to use CDs in your portfolio
CDs are a good tool to have in your money-management tool kit, especially if you use laddering. As a rule of thumb, personal finance experts suggest having six months’ worth of living expenses in savings as an emergency fund, but savings accounts often earn minimal interest. CDs have better returns, but an emergency fund won’t help you if it’s tied up in a CD that doesn’t mature for months. Staggering the maturity dates at intervals via CD laddering ensures that you will always have some of your savings available to you within a short period of time.

“With this laddering concept, you don’t necessarily need six months of expenses [because] you don’t need all the money at the same time,” Frisch says. You should keep enough money in a savings account—you can search for a high-yield savings account to maximize the amount of interest you can earn—to cover the period of time until your next CD matures.

You’re likely to forfeit a slightly higher APY than you can earn with a single, larger CD and a longer-duration maturity date, but that difference will almost certainly be smaller than the amount of an early-withdrawal penalty. “You’re giving up some yield but getting the flexibility,” Frisch says.

Trying to capture the absolute highest CD rate is kind of like trying to time the stock market—in other words, almost impossible to get right. Similar to how dollar-cost averaging can help you accrue gains while mitigating risk, having a CD maturing every month or two puts you in a good place to capture further increases in interest rates.

Laddering is a good strategy to employ if you’re wondering whether CD rates are going up and want a safe place to park your dollars, Skopak says. “In economic times like this, it’s definitely a good place to shelter the storm, and make sure you can take advantage of the interest rates that are out there.”

link: https://www.wsj.com/buyside/pe...=wsj_hp_buyside_pos3

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm currently earning 4.45% in a high yield savings account, which means that money is fully liquid.

As a result, I have zero interest in locking up money in a CD for a year, or 18 months, or especially 3 or 4 years, while earning about the same (or less).

And there are a few banks out there offering just over 5% (5.02%-5.05%) on high yield savings accounts currently. That just barely beats out the highest CDs rate I could find with a quick Google, at 5%.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fidelity had 3 month for 5.1% this morning and 5.5% for a year.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Earlier this year, Capital One had a promo for a 11-month CD at 5% APY, I ended up doing that. I just checked and it looks like their rates dropped anywhere from a quarter to half a percent.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Our credit union is offering 5% for a 6 month cd right now. Which is a heck of a lot better than the last couple years. And I prefer short term these days, so as to stay more liquid.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I go with Marcus Goldman Sachs no penalty CD. Give up a 1/2 a point or so for liquidity. Rates go up, cash the full value and reinvest at the higher rate. Good when rates are volatile. When they're stable for 12 months or more (with the ass holes in charge who can predict that) a locked in 12+ CD is not bad for parking some cash.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The wife and I were just talking about CD's yesterday. Good information here.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder, you should be able to get CDs through your brokerage account, I was checking through Schwab and I'm seeing 12-month & 18-month brokered CDs at 5.25%. Charles Schwab itself has a 12-month for 5.20%

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, my Fidelity SPAXX accounts (Gov. Money Mkt.) are paying 4.28% APY for any cash in those account positions. I have more than one Fidelity account.

A 30 day Fidelity Brokered CD would get me about 4.7 to 4.8% APY at Maturity so I'm staying in SPAXX at the moment.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man. I’d never thought I’d be an old man buying cd’s. Like all my clients when I was a young banker.

They are better than tbills right now. And if you buy them in a brokerage you get access to hundreds of banks and all FDIC

And I’m still doing my auto investing in the stock market both taxable and IRA/401k. I’m not putting extra in the market till I see how this current crisis shakes out.

My cash reserves I’m buying 1 month CDs for 5% for max yield. And relative liquidity

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
If I'm not mistaken, my Fidelity SPAXX accounts (Gov. Money Mkt.) are paying 4.28% APY for any cash in those account positions. I have more than one Fidelity account.

A 30 day Fidelity Brokered CD would get me about 4.7 to 4.8% APY at Maturity so I'm staying in SPAXX at the moment.

This is where I'm parking money right now... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8877 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:

This is where I'm parking money right now... Wink

That's my sweep account in my IRA.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also moved most of my money market funds from my bank into SPAXX in my Fidelity account. Much more attractive than a CD.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm getting 4.57% in my money market sweep account at Vanguard.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
We just did a couple Roth CD's at 4.3% for 13 months

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Schwab has a great trade screen for fixed income investments. It lists each type of investment by maturity. Recently US Treasury securities consistently have the highest rates, usually beating CDs by .20% or so. Trading is really easy.

I am sticking with Treasuries because I can immediately sell them with the press of a button, and if rates have gone down I can even realize a gain on the sale.

This can all change next week with the thrilling events taking place in the banking industry.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Earlier this year, Capital One had a promo for a 11-month CD at 5% APY, I ended up doing that. I just checked and it looks like their rates dropped anywhere from a quarter to half a percent.

I jumped in on this one.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'm currently earning 4.45% in a high yield savings account, which means that money is fully liquid.

As a result, I have zero interest in locking up money in a CD for a year, or 18 months, or especially 3 or 4 years, while earning about the same (or less).

Same here. Citizen Access @ 4.25%. The rate does change with the market but I dont want to locked in to a certain time.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Our Vanguard brokerage account MM fund is at 4.67% and MM rates will still go up a little more due to recent Fed rate hike probably to about 4.8% very soon. CDs can get you a little more if you don't mind tying up your money for the term or expect rates may fall. Treasury bills rates have gone down quite a but since the first bank failure but I would not be surprised to see them rebound again.

This is what my Vanguard bond trading opening screen looks like. CD rates actually are a little lower for 2 years and longer for CDs that are not callable.

it is going to be real interesting to see what happens to the yield curve in the future. Historically 5 percent fed funds rate is not that high but we have been used to the big boys holding interest rates artificially low for several years now which have caused a real mess now.

Chart on Fed fund rate is not current but the end shows just the start of current rate hikes since last year and unprecedented long period of near zero rates.

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

I jumped in on this one.

Same with me. I also recently got a couple of brokered CDs in one of my retirement accounts, 12 months at 5.35%.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post