SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Heads Up! - Zeiss Bino Deal.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heads Up! - Zeiss Bino Deal. Login/Join 
posted
We have had a few discussions about binos recently and I want to let everyone know about a great deal I just got from Euro Optic:
Zeiss 10x42 Compact Binos SKU Zeiss-524204-9905-000
Regular Price: $600. Sale Price: $299. Half off! Free shipping.
Potential bummer: They are Orange and Black in color.
Color did not factor into the decision for me.
I considered adding this deal info to an existing thread, but I did not want those in the market for a bino deal to miss this in an older post.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16120 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
https://www.eurooptic.com/Zeis...524204-9905-000.aspx

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38716 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainmaker5505
posted Hide Post
These are pretty nice for the money. I keep a set of binos in every vehicle, so when my new bronco came in a few months ago, picked up a pair from euro optic. They are nice and clear, and although I typically prefer 8x, I’m pleased with them.

"America could use some turpentine, all the way from Hollywierd to New York City." -- Phil Robertson

Posts: 464 | Location: Oxford, PA | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
That seems like a pretty sweet deal, especially with free shipping.

Do they come with a neck strap and/or any type of cover for the eyepiece lenses?

Posts: 7321 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
what is the magnification of them? I don't know how to get that out of the specs, though I'm sure it's telling us.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Looks like 10x.

The title: "Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 Black/Blaze Orange Binoculars 524204-9905-000"

Posts: 2019 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up! Picked up a pair for the truck.

Posts: 160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about bino's.

I bought one of these that has been pretty good. A little hard to stabilize so the image is a little shaky (10x I guess). But when stable, it's a decent image.

How would this compare with the Zeiss here? I think I paid about $100 for the Nikon. Is it worth the $300 for the Zeiss from here? Or Nikon is good enough? I use it for some casual bird watching, looking at the moon, casual sight seeing.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-T...75-8bc7-93deae8f9840

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12752 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
what is the magnification of them? I don't know how to get that out of the specs, though I'm sure it's telling us.

10x42 means 10 power, and 42 means 42mm objective lenses (the front ones).

That is more power than I want for looking at things on land, and 42mm objectives on 10 power binos will mean they aren't super great low light binos, but that is a nice pair for a good price if that configuration is the one you want.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing! I ordered these about 3 PM yesterday. And they were delivered just now. Less than 24 hours! Sent by next day air! Free!
Great service by Euro Optic!

Posts: 16120 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I don't know much about bino's.

I bought one of these that has been pretty good. A little hard to stabilize so the image is a little shaky (10x I guess). But when stable, it's a decent image.

How would this compare with the Zeiss here? I think I paid about $100 for the Nikon. Is it worth the $300 for the Zeiss from here? Or Nikon is good enough? I use it for some casual bird watching, looking at the moon, casual sight seeing.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-T...75-8bc7-93deae8f9840

You get what you pay for in binos, generally speaking. But remember that going up in quality costs more and more. So $400 binos are far better than $150 binos, and anyone can see the difference. But $800 aren't as much better than the $400 pair as the $400 pair is over the $150 pair. And so on. For a lot of users, $400 to $600 is a sweet spot of quality and price. If you hunt a lot in wide open country or are a dedicated bird watcher, the $2900 binos are worth it, but for many of us, they won't be.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
So, going from a $100 bino (nikon) to the $600 bino (zeiss), currently on sale at $300, sounds like it would be a great deal and dramatic improvement in image quality. Yes?

It's not more power but it would be better image quality? It would be things like - bird images would be less blurry / finer details? Maybe I should go to a store and take a peek at $600 binos. Maybe what I should consider also is 8x $600 vs 10x $600 vs what I have now.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12752 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainmaker5505
posted Hide Post
If you are only going to have one pair of binos, and they are going to be in that $600 range, I would get something with 8X magnification as opposed to the 10X. You will get better light transmission and clarity with the lower magnification, as well as a more stable image. You really aren't going to be looking at anything far enough away to really need that extra 2X in most cases on land anyway.

"America could use some turpentine, all the way from Hollywierd to New York City." -- Phil Robertson

Posts: 464 | Location: Oxford, PA | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
thanks!

posted Hide Post
Range Report:
I just took them outside and tried them out. Bright, clear and no hint of distortion. A little larger and heavier than expected but still an easy carry. Smooth focus and the retractable eyecups are a little stiff to operate, but there may be a break in period with them. The carry case is pretty decent (most are cheap crap) and the binos fit in it with the neck strap attached a little tightly but no real problem. Lens caps fit well and are set up to be quickly removable, but still attached to the binos to prevent loss. The rubberized coating is well executed and yep, they are orange! The neck strap is neoprene and comfy.
Bottom Line: The Zeiss blow away my Nikons and Vortex in color rendition, sharpness and clarity. Both the Nikons and Vortex models I own are good bangs for the buck. The Zeiss is superior but thats to be expected, given the $$$ difference. My Vortex will be my Jeep binos now and I will gift my Nikons to my kid. The price and great service from Euro Optic made for a great deal!

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I just grabbed a pair. I’ve got a decent set of Nikons that are 40 years old but I couldn’t ignore this deal.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4238 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I did a quick search and found That they had recently been priced at $379 and $349, so $299 is a pretty good price.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
8x is probably better for me but the 10x is 25% cheaper. I’m a fool if I don’t buy one it seems. You guys are killing me - spending money I don’t have. Smile. Sounds like a great deal.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
So, going from a $100 bino (nikon) to the $600 bino (zeiss), currently on sale at $300, sounds like it would be a great deal and dramatic improvement in image quality. Yes?

It's not more power but it would be better image quality? It would be things like - bird images would be less blurry / finer details? Maybe I should go to a store and take a peek at $600 binos. Maybe what I should consider also is 8x $600 vs 10x $600 vs what I have now.

I would expect you almost certainly are correct, but I have not looked through those Zeiss. I bet you can find those for sale somewhere near you if you are near any fair size city and test them. Read the reviews of those Zeisses.

Better binos are sharper, have less distortion (especially at the edges), and have less chromatic aberration.

https://www.optics4birding.com...noculars-review.aspx

If this review doesn't seem overly enthusiastic, it is because serious birders all lust for $2800 Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski offerings.

More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Mine just arrived, great value and very clear.
Get some.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1089 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post