SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Less common cuts of beef
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Less common cuts of beef Login/Join 
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Oxtail is almost always braised or pressure cooked. A very tough cut that needs a long cooking time to become tender. A common ingredient in Carribean cuisine.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Oxtail

I've heard of oxtail before, but only in the connotation of Asian-style soup. Is that's the only/primary way to prepare it?

quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
tongue

There's a large Hispanic population in the area, with lots of authentic taquerias around. So Lengua tacos/tortas are pretty common around here.

Posts: 2734 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
curious as well, they are just Boston Butts sliced , and quite delicious grilled ,

we sold a ton of them here in VA at every store I ran

wondering if the locals (to you) cut at the wrong angle?

I've found pork steaks off the shoulder or butt to be much better than pork chops. Because pigs are raised to be lean, the majority of chops we get/see these days are pretty lean and have very little intramuscular fat, ergo flavorless without any rub or marinade.

when I started, fat back would come in either trayed already or vacuum packed, and would be thich, as in some of it was 2 inches thick, and the bone in loins (full loins, with shoulder and blade end) would have 1/2 to an inch of fat on them,

when I left the cutting room, the pork was as you said much leaner, internally, but also with very little of a fat cap on them,
and most cuts were brined (injected with a light solution)

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10550 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Anyone not considering TriTip, you don't know what you are missing.
Didn't grill it this time, decide to try to Sous Vide.
12 hours @132 then 10 hours @124 > got a recipe off YouTube for a 24 hour cook but while the times are slightly different ~ the results are the same.
Then Pan Sear.
Awesome and tender.

Even finished off the last 6oz at breakfast this morning. Smile

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
That does look good, but a bit labor intensive for me. I'm surprised that 12 hours in a bath didn't turn it to mush.

For me, tri-tip gets my peppery rub and is tossed on the Yoder at around 175-200 until medium rare. It's probably my favorite cut of beef.

3 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground rosemary
1/2 tsp cayenne

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The butcher/meat counter at the local, independent grocer we patronize offers “petite” sirloins. Smaller 1/2#(+) to 3/4# sirloins. Internet calls it a cap or end portion off the sirloin. We like because we can have individual portions without getting a single large sirloin.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1547 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
That does look good, but a bit labor intensive for me. I'm surprised that 12 hours in a bath didn't turn it to mush.

Almost zero labor other than filling a pan and setting the temp.
Pan searing takes five minutes.
FWIW, it's 22 hours total and no mush at all.
I have another recipe I got from Guga for beef short ribs @ 48 hours that is to die for.
Normally I am a fire aka BGE guy but this bath-mode can achieve some pretty amazing results.

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in NJ and we had something called a London Broil. There was the Oyster Cut and I think there was a Flat Cut.

It was inexpensive, lean and tough, but prepared properly, it was a good cheap way to feed a large family some beef that approximates steak.

A typical London Broil was bought at the grocery store butcher shop, weighed about 1.5-2 lb and was about 1.5" thick. There was no bone and only a little grizzle.

You marinated it in Italian Dressing/Worcestershire Sauce/Soy Sauce/Hot Sauce/Lemon Juice/Tomato Juice or whatever you preferred along with some onion powder and garlic powder and seasonings for about 4 hours before you grilled it on the BBQ or broiled in the oven.

Cooked to medium rare and then sliced very thin and shared with the family. It cost only a little more than hamburger, but was whole muscle meat like a steak.

I moved to the Midwest years ago and nobody seems to know what a London Broil is.

We do have Eye Round here, another low cost cut of beef great for roasting to medium rare then slicing thin for serving. Add a mushroom Au Jus and you've got a winner.

Posts: 279 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
London Broil, being very lean, makes a great jerky meat if one is so inclined.

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clang:
I moved to the Midwest years ago and nobody seems to know what a London Broil is.

It is availble here in flyover country. This at Safeway @ $4.47/lb. Big Grin

London Broil Top Round Steak

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16505 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I love a flat iron. And ox tail is possibly my favorite beef, but only for someone else to cook.

Posts: 8177 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We eat a lot of Tri Tip, almost no other steaks. I grill it on my Weber kettle and it comes out great. When Oak Ridge Rubs was closing I got a good selection, Santa Rosa is great for Tri tip.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3454 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Nice - Happy Grilling

Posts: 279 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Santa Maria is the traditional Tri Tip rub.

I also stocked up on Oak Ridge. Unfortunately I am almost out. They made some great stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
We eat a lot of Tri Tip, almost no other steaks. I grill it on my Weber kettle and it comes out great. When Oak Ridge Rubs was closing I got a good selection, Santa Rosa is great for Tri tip.

Posts: 2734 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
My mother used to marinate London broil in lemon juice, then serve it with a parsley lemon butter sauce…

One of my favorite meals as a kid. (Still is.)

Did anyone ever try using a jaccard on one?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Three pages and no one has mentioned the king of all steaks? The best steak you can possibly have is a cap steak, which is just the top flap of muscle from a whole rib roast.

Remove it, roll it up, cut it into pinwheels.

Also, flat irons are awesome.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21094 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by clang:

we used to get bags of Chuck Shoulder Pectorals and put them in a #10 tray, and sell themn

used them moslty cut up in sections and dropped thru the Cuber a few times (rotate each time you drop it thru)

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10550 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Also, flat irons are awesome.

Indeed! As previously posted we now buy flat iron steak by the case and have them packaged to suit us. Cost per pound, even paying for the whole case including waste, is VERY economical!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16505 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brazilian steak houses here do wonders with flank steak; probably my favorite cut from them.

I see no one has mentioned beef heart; a wonderful cut of meat (it is a muscle after all!). It does have a somewhat different taste than typical beef cuts but I like it very much.
My mom would remove the chordae tendon stuff and any caps of fat on the outside, then cut it into thin slices against the grain then lightly bread it and fry it with a side of grilled onions when I was a kid. I've since done it without breading. I find it is best when cooked to medium rare.

Posts: 343 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post