SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Korean karma box - winner jhe888
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Korean karma box - winner jhe888 Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Please add me.

Well, Howell Michigan is known for fishing lures made by The Millsite Tackle Company, supposed to be highly collectible.

Howell melons, sweeter than Honeydew melons. Since the 1950's Howell has had a MelonFest, this year nope due to Covid.

Railroad buffs, we had "railroad wars" between the Ann Arbor Railroad and the Pere Marquette Railroad in the late 1800's, one crew would lay their track, the other would tear up their work. Finally settled, the railroads met at a crossing named AnnPere, just outside of town.

Annie Oakley once demonstrated her shooting ability here also.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never been to Korea but many other countries. Lived in Jamaica 4years, Australia 14years.

In South Texas, access to hundreds of miles of beaches.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great Karma. Please consider me.

Living in SW Virginia in the “Moonshine Capital” of the US I can attest to the smoothness of a good home brew..or so I’ve read!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6324 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Don't include me as I go to Korea occasionally. And have access to korean markets here. Unless you include Pace 6+ in the karma Smile.

Just wanted to say interesting theme and karma.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12732 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
When I was stationed at Camp Casey, we'd go to the ville in TDC and there was this really sweet ajumma that would sell the most delicious coleslaw dogs with some kimchi if you wanted, across the street from the VIP bar.

Send me one of those if you ever go there, I'd like to try one sober for the first time!

And a large order of yakimandu.

Posts: 1988 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
What an interesting karma!

Do NOT enter me as I've been to Korea several times and in fact will be there twice in October.

I live in the DFW area, but I'll tell a Korea-related story. On a layover about 5 years ago in Portland I make my way to the parking lot near Voodoo Donuts that has all the food trucks. I'm looking for lunch and there is a Korean-taco fusion truck. Bulgogi tacos? Sign me up. So I go to the window and order two tacos. The girl taking my order asks if I want spicy or mild kimchi. I say "spicy" and the cook/owner behind her immediately comes to the window and says "But sir, you are WHITE!" Smile

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I'm in for your Karma. This sounds awesome!
I've lived in the Nashville//Middle TN area my entire life (except for last three years of college at the loveliest village on the Plains, Auburn, AL-- War Eagle!!).

I'm sure you didn't know know that Nashville, TN is also called Music City!! It's considered the home of Country Music, and it's the home for the Grand Ole Opry! (OK, maybe you do know).
Oddly enough, my dad was also born in Nashville in 1935, and he attended the Opry one time when he was a teenager. I'm now 59+, and I've never been to the Opry (most locals don't go).
And, I really don't like Country Music, even though our retail business is about three blocks from Music Row, and, over the years we've had many Country Music stars as repeat customers (we're a religious gift store & Church Supply business in midtown).

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
What an interesting karma!

Do NOT enter me as I've been to Korea several times and in fact will be there twice in October.

I live in the DFW area, but I'll tell a Korea-related story. On a layover about 5 years ago in Portland I make my way to the parking lot near Voodoo Donuts that has all the food trucks. I'm looking for lunch and there is a Korean-taco fusion truck. Bulgogi tacos? Sign me up. So I go to the window and order two tacos. The girl taking my order asks if I want spicy or mild kimchi. I say "spicy" and the cook/owner behind her immediately comes to the window and says "But sir, you are WHITE!" Smile

Several years ago I was in a restaurant here, and they do, they always think foreigners don't know spicy food.

So I order some spicy bbq pigs feet and she asks me the standard question with the standard skepticism. Usually when I answer in Korean, that even though I am a foreigner I love spicy food, they ease up and just go with it lol. This time she had something to prove.

It was the hottest food i've ever tasted outside of Thailand.

I bet I went through 6 bottles of Cass trying to finish that one plate. I imagine she was in the back just laughing her ass off. On the whole I don't find Koeran food spicy but that night she was hell bent on proving me wrong.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6323 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Nice and interesting karma.
I'm Cajun and many of us populate southern Louisiana.
We have a complete culture of our own in the U.S. that includes it's own unique language/dialect,food,cooking, music, tradition and folklore.
Cooking contains a melange of styles such as French, African, Spanish, native american and those of other immigrants to the area.
Thanks for the chance.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a few days off to put some of this together so...

One last bump before I go to bed this morning.

When i wake up this evening I’ll pick a winner and contact them via email.

Posts: 6323 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Korean food. Not many restaurants around here.

Were I live, was founded by Elijah Craig, and Alexis de Tocqueville stayed in what use to be a hotel three doors up the street from me when he was writing Democracy in America.

The Ohio River had frozen, and he disembarked the river boat, stayed in the hotel and walked to Louisville a 9+ hour 30 mile walk.

In 1890's there was 3800 residents. Now, 390. In the early 1900's most of the town buried down. It started in the empty Warehouse down on the river.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do not add me to the karma list.
Just wanted to join the conversation a little. This may be one of the most unique karma shares I have ever seen. I was actually a member of SigForum for many years as WildWeasel but have been away for a good while. When I went to reconnect as WildWeasel the login would not work so I started over with the name my grandson bestowed upon me.

I made six extended trips to Seoul and various other parts of the peninsula several years back while attached to Special Operations Command Korea (SOCKOR). I was a Navy guy with a Navy detachment in the Army world. Traveled the excruciating long flights from Atlanta to Incheon Airport each time, almost always nonstop. I remember the big base at Yongsan that headquartered the U.S Eighth Army before they moved to Humphreys. I spent a lot of time there and the small base across the street where SOCKOR was based.
Even though I stayed at a hotel in Seoul, I did my laundry at the Dragon Hill Lodge.

When I went for the exercises I played my part on the main base facilities at Yongsan. For the Army personnel who came in on orders for the exercise the base set up a tent city, just like being in the field. When the Navy arranges lodging for a member “tent” is not an option because the Navy doesn’t know what a “tent” is! So I was instructed to secure lodging and that became the Millennium Hilton Hotel. A couple of times I worked with an Army Major that had started his career as enlisted Navy. It drove him nuts that I was staying in the Hilton while he stayed in the tent city. Which means it had to be brought up several times over the course of weeks.

I miss the shopping in Insadong, the night life right outside of Yongsan, Namsan Mountain, The Korean War Museum, etc. I really enjoyed the food and kept bringing GO-CHU-JANG hot/sweet sauce back with me until I found a place I could buy it here in the southeast.

I don’t want to hijack the thread, I could talk about Korea for hours. The one thing I never did purchase for myself was a hand made set of swords from the owner of the Knife Gallery in Insadong. You could send me that! The story of that man and how he creates the swords by hand just as they were done thousands of years ago is an amazing and interesting story. Good luck everyone.

Posts: 22 | Location: North GA | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I also live in the Houston area. Our Metro area is nearly the same size as Connecticut, so there's that...

Thanks for the unique karma!

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Bump for the winner

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much, and I am very excited about this unusual karma.

I can't wait to try some Korean goodies.

Thanks again.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Lucky!! Nice win! Curious what will be sent.

It would be nice if you get some KFC - Korean Fried Chicken from Suwon. The restaurants there only have two choices - 1/2 chicken or full chicken. Amazingly good eats. And a beer to wash it down.

I wonder if you'll get some choco-pie (based on something that used to be very popular here when I was young but now I can't even remember what they were called; haven't seen one stateside in decades).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12732 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
OttoSig's karma box of Korean goodies arrived, and it looks great. I didn't fully unpack it here at work, but here is a look:

Yes, those are soft smoked squid, and they look awesome.

This is an unusual karma and look forward to sampling these treats.

Thanks very much.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post