SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snake ID leave alone or dispatch.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snake ID leave alone or dispatch. Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
One of the most venomous snakes in the world.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt a copperhead.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
One of the most venomous snakes in the world.

They are plenty venomous, but nowhere near the top of the list.

https://www.untamedscience.com...ds-deadliest-snakes/

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
It is the most venomous snake in my backyard.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
That is a cool hatband

Posts: 4025 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
It is the most venomous snake in my backyard.

You should change that to:
WAS the most venomous snake in my back yard.

I'd be out there with rakes, shovels and other implements of destruction looking for the other one. Then I'd be looking for it's friends.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8369 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
If it's in your yard kill it. Don't take a chance that it will bite someone.

"

Sage advice. It’s a Copperhead. Dispatched one last week in my yard. I have a granddaughter. No debate. No hesitation.

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
They are plenty venomous, but nowhere near the top of the list.

We have one from that list here, the Mojave rattlesnake. In this general area, the predominant rattlers are Western Diamondbacks and Mojaves, with most being the Diamondbacks. But in our specific area (must be climate or elevation), we see mostly Mojaves. They are aggressive, and deliver both neuro- and tissue-toxic venom. They resemble the Diamondback in pattern, but there are several tells to distinguish them. Usually they are greenish in color, but not always, and the black/white tail bands are a different pattern, but again not always. The best tells are two distinct features of the head.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10794 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to a presentation given by our county herpetologist, there is no antivenom for copperhead bites. Took me by surprise. I don't plan on testing his statement. I would test my .410 Mossberg Persuader if I found a copperhead in my yard.

Posts: 468 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by randyman:
According to a presentation given by our county herpetologist, there is no antivenom for copperhead bites. Took me by surprise. I don't plan on testing his statement. I would test my .410 Mossberg Persuader if I found a copperhead in my yard.

hmm ... Copperhead bites – do they need antivenom?

Posts: 2544 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Set fire to that wood pile Smile

In the wild, I would marvel at its beauty. Near my pets and family, terminate with extreme prejudice.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Woodpiles are kind of hard to build. Takes a lot of work and sweat. The way to flush a copperhead or rattlesnake out of a pile of wood or brush is with gasoline. The kind you use in your car or lawnmower. For whatever reason, they don't like the smell and while maybe enraged, they come out fast. Then kill it real dead.

The last one I ran into while hunting got itself killified. My method was simple, a 12 gauge blast of #6 from a few feet away. The problem was that a 12 ga has the nasty habit of removing the head, neck, and a few inches of body. Think pink mist. On the other hand, its easy to skin that way. No risk of bite from the now dissolved head and fangs.

Did I mention that I don't like snakes? Slithery slimy critters that are better off dead. Lawn mowers do an adequate job, too. The doomed snake lifts its head and then gets a haircut for its efforts. Kind of noisy to remove the head with a shotgun when in a suburban neighborhood. Neighbors are a pain. Rural ones tend to understand as most don't really like snakes.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It's easy, just roll the snake over and evaluate

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38008 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post