SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snake ID leave alone or dispatch.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snake ID leave alone or dispatch. Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
It's a copperhead. If it is in your yard, kill it or have its relocated miles away. If it in the wilderness, please leave it alone.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
It sure doesn’t have the pattern of a copperhead. Are there variations?

Yes, there are.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Copperhead.
The dark edge around the teardrop shape is a good clue. There is a similar looking snake that has that pattern in reverse that gets confused a lot.
We have a lot of them in north GA.
Nothing endangered about them around here. They aren't aggressive but due to their good camouflage they are easy to step on accidently.

Posts: 9557 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm not a herpetologist, but the banding does not seem as regular as found on most Copperheads. It almost looks like a Brown Water Snake, but might be a Cottonmouth.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Something to consider from a different angle:

In the event you are bitten and require anti venom, each vial costs $10,000.00 to $14,000.00 and it usually takes two (2) or more vials.

So, joining the leave it alone camp allows the pocketbook to stay out of the mix too.

Based on my opinion, that has the wrong headshape, but the photo isn't the best for ID either (at least to my untrained eyes).

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I think the head is a bit too small, and not quite the right shape. But for me the question would be "Where is it?" In my yard= dead. In the wild= leave it be.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Copperhead. If you have small kids or pets and don't have the skills to move a venomous snake, kill it. Reduce the population near your home.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
It's now dead but there were two. It was in my back yard in a suburban neighborhood. The second one went under a wood pile. My neighbors with kids and dogs are freaked out.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's now dead but there were two.

Good choice. I agree with others that it was a Copperhead. We very similar ones where I grew up.

As others stated if in your yard, that one dies. Black snakes, garter snakes get to live....

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4528 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
100% Copperhead based on two distinctive characteristics.

1. The hourglass shape of the banding. The dark banding is thicker on the sides and narrow down the spine. The only other real candidate here would be a northern watersnake and it's banding is opposite, with wide banding on the spine and narrow banding on the sides.

2. Distinct transition from head to body, or presence of a "neck". It can be hard to tell from some angles if the head has the arrowhead shape indicating pit viper. The best way to tell from these off angles is the distinct narrowing where the head stops and the body begins.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
copper head banding can vary significantly. a few years back I posted a pic of a melanistic copperhead. Nearly all charcoal grey and black. Here is another variation.

The above shows a northern water snake and a cotton mouth. Just look at banding and tail shape.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look him in the eye.
If the pupils are elliptical...copperhead.
If they're round...non-venemous.
Let us know.
Wink

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 369 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Also, please realize it can still bite for an hour or so even if head is severed. Use a shovel and place the head in something it can't bite through.

Be careful. Better safe than sorry.

Woodpiles do tend to be a draw for copperhead from what I have heard.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Something to consider from a different angle:

In the event you are bitten and require anti venom, each vial costs $10,000.00 to $14,000.00 and it usually takes two (2) or more vials.

So, joining the leave it alone camp allows the pocketbook to stay out of the mix too.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Went to the local zoo and the zoo keeper in the reptile area gave a lecture on venomous snake bites. Typically 30-60K price tag. That's for a rattlesnake bite (the only venomous snake in my neck of the woods). Not cheap. If you get bit on the hand you're also going to have a fight with your insurance company. They will claim you were playing with the snake.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What John Wayne said about Indians.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Put me in the Copperhead camp. That head is too big compared to the body to be non-venomous.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:

If you do that with this snake, PLEASE make a video of you doing it. Smile

It's not really much drama. Stick underneath, take the tail, flop them into the box or bag. Agressive ones are easy to handle with a corn broom and a stick. Most don't get that excited.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
quote:
It's now dead but there were two.

Good choice. I agree with others that it was a Copperhead. We very similar ones where I grew up.

As others stated if in your yard, that one dies. Black snakes, garter snakes get to live....

I agree Copperhead dies the others can slide

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Copperhead, I agree.

It is a venomous snake and can harm a person or pet.

If it was close to my house I'd get rid of it, either by relocating it or if no other option, dispatching it.

They are good to have to kill off vermin... but they can be dangerous, especially the baby ones. The adult ones can regulate how much venom per bite, and often "dry bite" giving no venom. The baby snakes give ya a full dose every time...

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Dead.

Truly a copperhead, and if he was in my yard, BANG!!, dead copperhead.

Says the man who klobberized a rattlesnake on Hatteras Island while in government housing with a neighbor being the ranger.

Take no prisoners when it comes to poisonous snakes.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post