SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "D Day" Remembered
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"D Day" Remembered Login/Join 
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted
D Day June 6th 1944 ---- Remember those that were there as well as all of the support personel involved... ..... drill sgt.

Posts: 2015 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
My FIL was in the second wave on that infamous day. His comment about that day was that was the day he became a man…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6330 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for stepping up, and the sacrifice of the many.

You will never be forgotten..

These two were among the many veterans invited to speak this past weekend at the WW2 Event in Reading, PA.

Robert Thompson
SSgt. USA, Co. A, 23rd Infantry Regt., 2nd Inf. Div.
Combat Infantryman
Normandy, Brittany and Ardennes Campaigns
POW at stalags in Hammelburg, Nuremberg and Moosburg

Guy Whidden
Sergeant, USA, HQ Co., 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Div.
Machine-Gunner

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
We can NEVER repay what those boys did for the world that day. Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
The greatest generation. Unimaginable sacrifice made by so many.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Interesting article:

7 D-Day Invasion Facts

Posts: 13287 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
When I was in parochial school the nuns would always share stories about the war on the D Day anniversary. Many were Polish or German and they despised the Nazis. The town I grew up in was nearly 100% of German Bohemian descent. The nuns were always stressing to us the Nazis were not the same as our German ancestors and relatives.

Always fascinated a young mind listening to those stories. One of the nuns who was not a teacher had the tattoo on her hand from the prison camp she was in. We would all stare at it in amazement. I'd hate to think what the schools are telling the kids these days about WWII if anything at all.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8536 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I'd hate to think what the schools are telling the kids these days about WWII if anything at all.

If the ignorance about other critical historical events that the author Douglas Murray documents in his book The War on the West is any indication, probably little to nothing. The 6 June Normandy invasion D Day was important but it was only one of countless military events that led to the defeat of Germany, Italy, Japan, and other members of the Axis powers. I must point out, though, it’s not only the recent generations that are stunningly ignorant of WWII history. In the late 1960s a young woman who was attending college at the time and whose father had fought in the European Theater asked me, “Did we fight the Germans in the war?” The only thing we should be surprised about someone’s referring to the Germans’ bombing Pearl Harbor is that he would have ever heard of an attack on Pearl Harbor at all.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
My FIL was in the second wave on that infamous day. His comment about that day was that was the day he became a man…

My stepdad was in the first wave. He took 3 MG rounds thru his middle. Took a good while for him to recover and he suffered some effects until he died of old age.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I do remember this, and I remember the newsreels. I was in the second grade at the time.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30705 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Europe is on your bucket list, I encourage a visit to Normandy. I've been twice and it's sobering.

P229

Posts: 3836 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
My Uncle Geoffrey H Lord, a sniper in the Queens Royal Rifles of Canada, waded ashore at the same time as those other brave boys down the line. He carried around 80 pounds of kit, not including his Long Branch-made Lee-Enfield No4(T) sniping rifle, and with a bicycle over his free shoulder, too.

He went through the rest of the war, including the awful passage of arms raking the Scheldt Estuary from the desperate Germans, and came home safe to SE Ontario, picking up an English wife - my Aunt Jean - on the way back.

...and today, in our little village here in rural Cambridgeshire, we are celebrating the life of a Normandy Veteran, Pte Cecil Deller, late of the Royal Suffolk Regiment, who took not one, but two vital objectives on D-Day, at a cost, as soldiers always do.

Bless them ALL.

Posts: 11333 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I took my M-1 carbine and fired a few rounds. It was made in 4-43 and could have been there.

Posts: 5626 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9387 lie in Colleville-Sur-Mer. Lest we forget.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16106 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
A great ceremony with hundreds of the 116th deployed in Africa plus partner and allied forces this morning. Wrapped up with a short little ruck, then back to "Work". Very proud to be here with these Soldiers and thankful for the support from back home. link to full story

0415 first call this morning... 0450 accountability... forming up ~0530...

My vantage point:

Some very good, dedicated and caring people here:

Posts: 504 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God bless this great generation and their families. I saw two survivors of the invasion today. Both had turned 100 years old. It probably won’t be many more years until it will no longer be mentioned. Very sad!

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
If Europe is on your bucket list, I encourage a visit to Normandy. I've been twice and it's sobering.
I wholeheardtedly agree. I visited Normandy on 5 Jun 2015 and it was a humbling experience. Lots of folks there, of course--it was just one day prior to the anniversary of D-Day. While in Europe, one should also visit a few of the American cemeteries. The upkeep is fastidious and the awe is huge.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father was on Omaha Beach with the 149th Combat Engineers. They were clearing mines while under fire. He said it was the biggest show any 19 year old could ever see.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2892 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post