SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Spousal Unit iPad and email issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spousal Unit iPad and email issue Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
You know who has a nice iPad that she uses all the time.

Two email accounts set up on it (by me - who else?). POP3 accounts with Time Warner ISP (Spectrum).

One for adverts and junk mail - working just fine, one for personal use that is not working or only partially working.

I can send her a test message to this account and it will go thru. Other emails do not make the jump.

So far:

1. Nuked the account and rebuilt the account - No Joy.

2. Verified that the advanced settings are identical to the junk account that is working aside from user name, email address and PW. Ports are identical.

3. Restarted the iPad - Nada.

I am no expert on the Apple OS, but I can usually slog my way thru successfully. This has me puzzled.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20385 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Before blaming the previously fine working setup on your ipad, i would use a web based client to check the account at the server.

Make sure email is going through it properly.

Always start with the easiest fix, assume things are alright at your end if they were working fine.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12254 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I did look at the web based site and I don't see the outside emails I saw come in on the computer this AM.

Will continue to follow.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20385 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You said you restarted the iPad, did you do a hard restart?

A hard restart is different from turning it off then back on.

To do one on our iPhones, I hit the buttons for volume up, then volume down, then hold the button on the other side continuously until the Apple logo is displayed on the screen.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
I use NORD VPN and I found that I can receive emails OK however outgoing emails sit in the outbox until I turn off the VPN.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1748 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
You using Apple Mail (the mailer that comes with the iPad)? Download and try another e-mail client. I"d suggest Thunderbird as there is lots of online support for it. In fact, try more than one third-party mailer. This is true on the other end as well, set up an account with a different mail provider and test it out. You don't have to continue to use it for anything meaningful, but it can give you ammunition when you find what is wrong with your "real" e-mail provider and talk to their support staff.

Generally, my experience is that failure to fetch mail is often a result of a mismatch in authentication methods. You are using the correct credentials (username and password), but the way they are presented by the mailer to the POP or IMAP server is not to its liking. This is compounded if some sort of security wrapper is in place (e.g. TLS or SSL encryption), different assumptions in the tiny details of setting up a secure connection will make it fail.

If you can find the mailer's connection logs in the file system they can be very helpful in determining just where things are breaking down. Some mailers can even be run in "debug" mode to give more information, but ipadOS is not very good about making the location of log files obvious (or making it easy to review them either). You may need to install a file system browser to find and view these.

Posts: 6740 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Good suggestions. I will give them a try.

Thanks,

RMD

posted Hide Post
I've been struggling with POP3 accounts.

Getting the IMAP information seems to have fixed my issues.

Maybe this would be of help?
https://www.register365.com/su...ount-on-iphone-ipad/

Help with my medical fundraiser at https://fundrazr.com/d2PmG0?ref=ab_8BFKzc.

Posts: 2148 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
You using Apple Mail (the mailer that comes with the iPad)? Download and try another e-mail client. I"d suggest Thunderbird as there is lots of online support for it.

During the 14+ years I have used Macs, Apple Mail has driven me crazy more than once. I started using TBird (which I used on Window, prior), and that is all I use. I still, from time to time, (especially after the release of a new macOS version) try Apple Mail again. Not with the expectation of actually making it my client, because TBird works so well, but just to see if they have improved it. Nope, TBird remains my client.

On iOS, however, Apple Mail has always worked well for me. Go figure.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10870 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post