SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Long range wireless light switch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long range wireless light switch Login/Join 
posted
I would like to put an exterior flood light on the shed that I can control from the shed and house. I really do not want to run a 3 way wire back to the house.

I have used wireless light switches in the house but they do not have the range to reach the shed. I would need something that can reach over 150 feet.

This is what I have found so far.
https://www.amazon.com/TOVEENE...reless+light+control

Any ideas? Thanks.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I was trying to solve similar problem at our cabin where we frequently arrive after dark.

If you have WiFi there consider either a wfi switch like Wemo or what I did and use a WiFi LED bulb and leave on, control with phone.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12442 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If you have WiFi for it to run on...

Wire the flood light with a three prong plug, and use one of these plugged into a standard outlet... TP Link KASA Smart Plug

Or if you have to have an actual switch, you can wire up one of these... TP Link KASA Smart Switch

I have these installed at my home and they work flawlessly for my needs.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I use the "Smart Life" compatible wifi plugs anthem work well also.

https://www.amazon.com/Gosund-...tified/dp/B079MFTYMV

I refuse to buy anything that requires Google home or Alexa...

JB

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Wire the flood light with a three prong plug, and use one of these plugged into a standard outlet... TP Link KASA Smart Plug

Or if you have to have an actual switch, you can wire up one of these... TP Link KASA Smart Switch

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

+1 for TP Link, I have the same plugs and they work perfectly and very easy to install.

Posts: 3854 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use tp-link switches where ever I can.

One caveat, they require A neutral to run.

Not all of my switches are wired with a neutral in the box.

I cannot be installed without one.

It this is a new installation plan on a neutral.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the wifi switch recommendation, however my wifi signal will not reach to the shed.

Any other ideas?

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I picked up an X10 transmitter and outlet module for Dad's garage a while back. I don't know that it's 150 feet, but it might be worth a try.

God bless America.

Posts: 13520 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clapp on---clap off!

Posts: 17151 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I picked up an X10 transmitter and outlet module for Dad's garage a while back. I don't know that it's 150 feet, but it might be worth a try.
X-10 travels through the wires so as long as your on the same phase of your box it should reach.

Posts: 45394 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Here's a $35 X10 kit that should do the job, and then some. In Dad's setup, the module with the antenna (TM751) is in the [detached] garage connected to the light, while the little remote control (KR19A) is up in the kitchen. Works like a champ!

God bless America.

Posts: 13520 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
quote:
X-10 travels through the wires so as long as your on the same phase of your box it should reach.

same phase can be difficult to guarantee but I agree X10 is the best choice due to its AC Communication - I've used it for years - Run mine on a Web server and have access form anywhere. You have to be a GEEK

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:
quote:

same phase can be difficult to guarantee but I agree X10 is the best choice due to its AC Communication - I've used it for years - Run mine on a Web server and have access form anywhere. You have to be a GEEK
IIRC, there is a way to bridge the two phases with a capacitor or you could just switch the transmitter to another outlet until it works.

Posts: 45394 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I used this wireless switched outlet and this remote to switch a light and block heater on and off in my barn which is a couple hundred feet from the house.

Works flawlessly, I can turn the block heater on for the tractor while eating breakfast and slurping coffee, and it's toasty warm by the time I'm ready to go blow snow.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:
quote:

IIRC, there is a way to bridge the two phases with a capacitor or you could just switch the transmitter to another outlet until it works.

True. But with the remote control kit I posted above, you don't even have to worry about the single-phase / two-phase bit. Wink

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
How can I tell if my house is all on the same phase.?All power comes in to one breaker box.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'd lend you the X10 goods to experiment with if you'd like.

God bless America.