SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tutorial: How to make Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tutorial: How to make Biscuits and Sausage Gravy Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
It astounds me that some people might not know how to fix this staple of Southern Cooking, so I'm going to post it.
Southern Biscuits and Sausage Gravy. This feeds three hungry adults, but we tend to over-eat something this tasty.
You'll need your favorite Biscuits (I like Mary B's frozen biscuits),
1 lb of bulk Sausage (your favorite flavor, we like Hot)
1/4 cup flour
2 cups Whole Milk
Mary B's Frozen Biscuits
Salt and Pepper to taste

Photo Nov 23, 10 16 53 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

These biscuits take 20 minutes at 400° F. PRE-HEAT your oven unless you like half done biscuits. When you put the biscuits in the oven, it is time to start the gravy.

Brown off sausage in flat bottomed frying pan. DO NOT DRAIN. Do not turn down heat.
Add 1/4 cup flour. Mix and stir until you can't see any "white" from the flour (see image for proper cooking).

Photo Nov 23, 9 54 58 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr
Stir in 2 cups of milk. Slowly stir until fully incorporated and heat until simmering. Reduce heat while it thickens.

Photo Nov 23, 9 56 10 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

We like to break up the biscuits in a bowl and put the Sausage Gravy over them. Enjoy!

Photo Nov 23, 10 04 42 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Nice instructions. This is something everyone should know how to do. Super easy and super delicious.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
YUM....thanks for sharing!

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Do you use 2% milk or skim milk?

I think I like your gravy. I don't cook so I just order them. The gravy always just has this tiny flecks of what might be meat bits. Not even enough to get in between my teeth.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19675 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Excellent.

Frozen biscuits are the bomb. I can make pretty good ones from scratch but it's messy and a lot of trouble.

Actually I buy them fresh from a local market and freeze them myself. 30 Seconds in the microwave and a couple of minutes in the toaster oven and they're GTG.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Homemade biscuits are a little messy, but damn are they good.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Do you use 2% milk or skim milk?

You're a funny guy! WHOLE MILK!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's basically the same way I make mine, with the exception that I use Half & Half instead of milk.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2090 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Cool

Posts: 13272 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Whole Milk....a.k.a. 4% Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8909 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is from southern Missouri. She uses store bought biscuits but makes her own gravy with your exact recipe. Can anybody guess why I fell in love with her? Good looks and good cookin' is a pretty darn good combination.

Posts: 7560 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
De-Lish!

My cooking has taken a hit as well. Since the stove zapped out the main breaker.

But I can recommend Last Chance Saloon in Sweet Springs, Missouri (an old river town, platted in 1838). Right down the block from the Old City Hall. Parrish cooks them up similar. Sausage, milk, flour, butter, salt/pepper.

Butter? Is that common?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely hate store bought biscuits, most are either too dry, crumbly or, taste like baking soda. I don't eat B&S often but, when I do, I'm making my own biscuits, along with the gravy.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My gravy recipe is almost exactly like yours, but I add a 1/2 cup of minced onion to the sausage while it browns. Also a lot of fresh ground pepper.

And yes, whole milk or nothing.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Homemade biscuits are a little messy, but damn are they good.

Yep. Sorry, Roland, but you lost me at “frozen” biscuits. Definitely whole milk, though.

I’m from Georgia, BTW. Wink

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Well it has been discussed before. I present to you a video:

Smile

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
We use the same recipe but we like Pillsbury Grand biscuits. Light and flaky. Not doughy. Good tutorial Rolan.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting, Rolan. Looks good.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Furiously taking notes...thanks Rolan!

Haven't eaten anything but a banana this morning...powerful hungry just about now. Wink

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I note that Mary B's biscuits were recalled last January because of Listeria. Has that been fixed?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post