SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for the Nikon DSLR guys...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the Nikon DSLR guys... Login/Join 
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted
I'm considering picking up an old D700 advertised as having 17k shutter clicks. Judging from the pics, it looks pretty clean. Currently I'm shooting a D80 and would like to try a larger FX sensor. I know the D700 is legendary but since Nikon is no longer servicing them I'm concerned I may buy someone else's junk. I'll demo it, naturally, but if there is something I overlook, I may be stuck. Do independent shops service these dinosaurs? Should I consider a newer model? I don't need mega-megapixels, or video capability, and like a purer form of photography. I've got several FX lenses that would work great with this body as well. Thoughts please.
Thanks all.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
The D700 is the meaning of built like a tank in the digital camera world. I still have mine and am still pleased with the image quality when I use it. It has an expected shutter life of 150K shots. At this point it would cost more to repair the camera than to replace it.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is really funny. Given all the models of Nikon DSLR's through the years. >>>>

I have a D80 that shot craps last year. I did my research and narrowed down to a few options, the D700 being one of them and high on the list. I found one at a local camera shop with 5600 clicks for $299. Needless to say, I snapped it up. What a find. I am no expert on all the Nikon models, but the D700 is indeed legendary, and I am tickled to own one. If the price is right for you, I wouldn't hesitate. Even though my DX lenses work with it, I'm in the process of collecting older full frame lenses, especially some of the choice primes; they are available and usually at a good price. I'm having fun.

And, by the way, there were two other D700's on the shelf last weekend. One had about 151,000 clicks, the other had 181,000. My salesman, who is been around a long time and is knowledgeable, said that was not too high for a D700. Many go longer.

Posts: 2695 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I should probably check the clicks on my old D70s.
I know just between 2 F1 races, I added over 6k to it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15366 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
How much they asking? If it’s cosmetic clean & the sensor is free of aberrations, go for it. They are solid performers.

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
CQB, 300 for the body. Thanks for the insight guys, please keep the comments coming!

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
D700 was a workhorse tank for it's generation. Parts are harder to come by. Nikon has also moved away from supporting independent repair shops. They want the repair revenue to go to NPS (Nikon Professional Services) D700 uses CompactFlash memory cards. Good luck finding new ones and the readers.... order thru speciality camera stores only.

My suggestion, get the D750 if you can swing it. Costs a little more but it has dual SD cards (common memory cards) You can save the same pic to two cards just in case one fails. SDs are prone to failure more than CF. Readers are a bit more common too. It's also better in the dark than the D700. Much lighter too.

Posts: 693 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adobesig:
The D700 is the meaning of built like a tank in the digital camera world. I still have mine and am still pleased with the image quality when I use it. It has an expected shutter life of 150K shots. At this point it would cost more to repair the camera than to replace it.

That about sums it up. I never had the D700, but I had the d600,610, and 750.

I say go for it. Just be aware that you might have to reinvest in glass if you don't already have a bunch of FX lenses.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3355 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I've been a Nikon fan for 40 years.... but my one complaint (well actually two) is trying to figure out their lens as well as never being able to afford their professioanal grade ones... which usually cost way more than a camera.

my second complaint... years ago my D70 stopped working and I sent it off to them to be fixed... a few weeks later UPS leaves a note on my door that a package to be delivered needs a signature.... this is from Nikon. My camera is back!... but I miss the next day and the next and then have to go to the terminal and pick the package up... when I open it there is my camera and a note... they can't fix it ... no charge. They send a camera they can't fix back with signature required?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
CYA, most likely. They just don't want any "I never received it!" issues. Can't really blame them in these days of porch pirates.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Torturing myself now considering the D610.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
Torturing myself now considering the D610.

I would suggest you look into the D750, a low mileage example. It's full frame and capable of mounting any Nikon lens equipped with an AIS aperture ring. Take a look at the prices for used Pro level Nikkors dating back to the original AR Nikkors driven by the body AF drive and you'll find lenses like the 180mm F2.8 EDIF are relative bargains that are still supported by the D750. In addition any Nikkor that is equipped with the AIS aperture ring will work on the D750 with some limitations that can be worked around. Such as changing the camera metering to Aperture Controlled and focusing manually. BTW, I have a 1965 50mm f2 Nikkor H that I've used on occasion and it's both distinctly light in weight and every bit a lens worthy of it's reputation as one of the 2 finest 50mm lenses ever made. Also have one of the original 43-86 Zooms and that lens is also deserving of it's reputation as a rather soft lenses, it may even qualify as a soft focus lens. The key to the old stuff is the AIS aperture ring, the defining item in the AIS conversion kits. If you don't see the second row of smaller aperture numbers do not even think about mounting that lens on a D750, manual focus lenses with the older one line aperture rings will fracture the aperture control ring on the D750.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5661 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight Scooter, 750 is very nice indeed and under consideration.

Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
I just to get back to all who offered their suggestions. I bought the D700 today and am very psyched! Initially the guy took it off of Craigslist after we spoke a bit, so I assumed it was sold. After seeing it listed again on Sunday I figured the new buyer backed out for some reason, which made me suspicious, but happy it was once again available. I met the guy today, super nice guy, and a hobbiest who just stepped up to another older model, D3x, or something like that? This camera is super clean, not a scratch on it, and had only 12436 shutter clicks. The guy is super anal about keeping his gear nice, so this was certainly a score. It came with a 50mm 1.8G prime lens and Nikon, not aftermarket, MB-D10 Battery Pack and battery. He just picked up a brand new 64 gig CF Card included in the sale. All done at 400. I think I did pretty well. As I said earlier I already have a few FX lenses, so I can't wait to get to feel it out over the weekend. Thanks all.