SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Part-Time Remote Work Options?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Part-Time Remote Work Options? Login/Join 
posted
Hello SigForumites! My wife is trying to find something that she can do from home 10-20 hours a week. Phone/internet based; flexible hours would be crazy cool, but not required. We homeschool, so evening/weekend hours are more realistic.

Although she has a BSN/RN, and keeps her RN license current, she hasn’t worked as a nurse in 18+ years, so re-entry into that field may be insurmountable. Places require ‘x’ years of recent clinical experience (understandably), and she will not be going to work at a facility to get said requirement met, in order to transition to telephone triage positions that we’ve seen.

That leaves something administrative/data entry etc as a most likely scenario. We realize that’s not leveraging her education and experience for the earning potential, and that’s ok. She’d be fine with $18-$20/hr., but the sites she’s been checking all have what seem to be pretty scammy-sounding “jobs”.

Besides her RN background, recent experience/qualifications include; teaching (K-12, both homeschool and also high school science/health at our church’s private school), MS Office proficiency, and excellent written and verbal communication skills.

Any ideas on places to check? My thought is that sometimes the best positions never get posted, because they fill quickly by referrals, etc. Thanks for any help!

-Chris

Posts: 1731 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Have any local friends that are business owners? That seems the most likely path to me due to the big gap in employment. Someone that already knows her.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10593 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe Jet Blue airlines customer service reps are all work-from-home employees. Much of them living in Utah (Jet Blue founders are Mormon) as homemakers, however can't confirm if that's still currently the case.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Where do you live

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5182 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know of a nurse who works for lawyers. She reads the chart and looks for issues. Some of these are malpractice suits.

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
My wife's cousin is a former ER nurse. But, for the past several years, she's done work transcribing medical records (I think that's what she does).

Although I'm not sure specifically what the work is, I know she loves it. She works from home and on the road (her husband is an OTR trucker and she often travels with him).

Posts: 6578 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
Where do you live

Wisconsin, an hour or so from Madison

Posts: 1731 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Check out VirtForce for remote work types of jobs. I see frequent postings for remote admin assistants.

Posts: 13312 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the state jobs listing,

Four of the people I talk to in Illinois throughout the year all work from home 18 days per year and then an office two days.

Heck check the county listings also

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
My wife's cousin is a former ER nurse. But, for the past several years, she's done work transcribing medical records (I think that's what she does).

Although I'm not sure specifically what the work is, I know she loves it. She works from home and on the road (her husband is an OTR trucker and she often travels with him).

Something like that was my first thought, with the RN background.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16012 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Have her look for Medical Chart Auditing jobs.

Also have her look at jobs with the insurance companies.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25701 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Win Forever
posted Hide Post
Look at medical coding and billing. Most of those functions have gone remote. Medical coders can make decent money.

Posts: 692 | Location: Charlottesville, VA & Seattle, WA | Registered: May 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post